Author Topic: Farrar Coolroe Wicklow.  (Read 10083 times)

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farrar Coolroe Wicklow.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 22:35 GMT (UK) »

Hi.

From my own research and through family information I would know that Margaret Edge in the 1911 census , widow , was the wife of Jeremiah Edge. Margaret prior to marriage was Margaret Robert's ( 1858-1935 ) daughter of Joshua and Sarah ( Nee Webster ) Roberts of Corsilla, Newtownmountkennedy, Co Wicklow. Mary Webster who married John Farrar was the daughter of Isaac and Mary ( Nee Collier ) Webster of Blainroe Wicklow. Isaac Webster and Sarah Webster who married Joshua Roberts were brother and sister. They were siblings to my GGG grandmother Margaret Webster who married George Smith of Scratenagh, Arklow.

In the 1911 census Susan would have been at Knockafadda with her mothers first cousin and not her aunt.

John
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting

I've no FARRAR connection but Frances Kearney nee Farrar lived on Rock Road in 1911 where, Philip Kearney, a relative of my OH's lived. I had considered James Kearney as having a connection at one time but ruled him out.

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 November 15 18:25 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at James and Frances Kearney in the 1911 Census on Rock Rd. Going back to the 1901 Census , even though there is a small age difference a likely James Kearney showing up in Wicklow is a James Kearney at Coolroe Co Wicklow, son of a William and Margaret Kearney. If this is the case I would have a brother of James, a Henry Kearney married to a Sarah Jane Griffin. Sarah Jane Griffin was the daughter Samuel Griffin and a Margaret Webster. Margaret Webster would have been a sister to Mary Webster who married John Farrar.

John
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 18 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Comments about Farrar caught my eye.
My ancestors are Martha Farrar and John Lawrence, who moved to Canada in 1848.

Following are some notes from my personal family tree:

"Relocated to Canada by Lord Fitzwilliam of Ireland in an assisted emigration program to reduce the number of tenants on his massive estate. The reduction of tenants was partly due to too many people living on the estate and mainly due to hardships caused by the potato famine of the 1840's. Lord Fitzwilliam paid for his tenants to relocate to Ontario during the years 1847 - 1855. Many came to Durham area because there were already Irish people in the area.

John and Martha were some of the first farmers in the Durham area.
Their property was 100 acres on lot 1, concession 2, near Durham.

John and Martha's children: Anthony?; Anna (c.1827); Thomas (c1829); Samuel (c1831); John (c1833); William (1836); James (c.1838); Henry (c1842); Martha (c1844).

The surname Lawrence is not Irish.
The Lawrence name in England, dates to very ancient times (prior to 1066) in Lancashire.
They would have been relocated from England to either farm the estates or be a slave labourer.
Some sources say they came as archers with Cromwell, in about 1640.

It is thought John Lawrence "owned" some property, so I assume he was some sort of farm supervisor on the Coollatin Estate, owned by Earl Fitzwilliam.

One record says The Lawrences were "senior Tenants" or some sort of supervising agents for that part of the estate (Around Sandyford at Moyne).

"In 1827, John Lawrence, age 35 had 45 acres at Slieveroe, near Moyne. With him was his wife age 24 (Martha?), a son (Probably Anthony?) and a daughter (porbably Anne?). The property was formerly held by Keegan. Mary Keegan was still on 1/2 acre of this land.

Also at Slieveroe on 46 acres was Anthony Lawrence, age 60, who was possibly John's father, after whom john's first son Anthony would have been named.

In 1839, John age 46, wife age 36, with 5 boys and 1 girl.

In 1848 the 45 acres is still held by Lawrences, but John and family are no longer there.

Some 300 years earlier, Lawrences owned a castle in Ireland, obtained through marriage and lost due to political changes in England. The castle was built in 1585 by John Lawrence on land he aquired through marriage to the daughter of O'Madden, Lord of Longford. John Lawrence jr. was dispossed of by Oliver Cromwell in 1641.

It is not known if the castle has any connection to the Canadian Lawrence's. However, it is interesting there are castles in our family names.

The name Farrar is not Irish.
They would have been relocated from England to farm the estates or to be a slave labourer.

A record on RootsIreland has a John Lawrence marrying Martha Farrar on December 5, 1826 in Parish Kilcommon, County Wicklow. This may have been Martha's home parish.
Witnesses are William Farrar and Samuel Farrar."

I am open to comments on the accuracy of my notes and also interested in any documentation that may be available to substantiate my notes.

Thanks for your interest,
Dave
Anderson, Stewart, Donaldson, Wright

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 December 18 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Just a couple of notes that I hope you find useful.

John Farra's 2nd wife was Eliza Gilbert and Frances, Margaret, and Sarah were her children.

The 11 children mentioned on the 1911 Census were all children of John, by the 3 different wives.

Offline Dave106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 December 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ross:

Thanks for your reply.

I read thru the posts on this topic and my first thought is the families discussed do not seem to directly fit my relatives.

John Lawrence married Martha Farrar in Ireland, 05 December 1826.
John Lawrence was born 1785.
Martha Farrar was born 25 March 1800

They moved to Canada in 1848.

Do you think Martha Farrar fits with the Farrar's discussed in these postings?

Any comments on the content of my first posting?

Your interest is appreciated.

Dave
Anderson, Stewart, Donaldson, Wright

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 December 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I stumbled across the first marriage of John Farrar of Coolroe...source "Irisgenealogy, Civil Records"

John Farrar of Coolroe, son of Joshua Farrar married Hannah Appleby of Ballinaclash, daughter of Thomas Appleby March 26 1874.

Their daughter Mary, was born Jan 16,1875 and died Sept 24,1885

Hope this fills in a blank for you.