Author Topic: Inishmore-O'Rourke & O'Malley  (Read 10532 times)

Offline DOC1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inishmore-O'Rourke & O'Malley
« on: Tuesday 06 September 11 05:46 BST (UK) »
I am trying to get some info on ancestors from the Aran Islands.
My ggrandfather Henry Lynch m. Margaret O'Rourke in 1892, on Inishmore. Her father was Stephen O'Rourke m.1865 Mary O'Malley.
Stephen died when he was 30 yrs and Mary married John Gorham in 1876.
Stephen's father was John Rorke (various spellings) but I don't know his wife and Mary's father was Pat O'Malley but I don't know his wife.
Can anyone help with further info?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Inishmore-O'Rourke & O'Malley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 13:51 BST (UK) »
I presume your Lynch/[O']Rourke family were RC ?

Unfortunately RC parish records  for the Aran Islands only go back to the 1870s, so if Henry and Margaret were baptised on the islands, then there will be no written record.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline DOC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Shane.

Monica

Offline doonaran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Monica,
         Here is a census return for 1911 which lists Margaret as head of house. Henry Lynch came originally from Arklow when the congested district board brough fishermen and their boats  to Aran in order to help modernise the island's fishing industry. The Lynchs were associated with the sea and with lighthouse keeping. The last of the Lynchs to live on Aran was Mary (Ciss) who died some years ago at the age of 99.  Tommy O'Rourke was involved in the making of Robert Flaherty's Man of Aran in 1932. Another very skilled seafarer who was part of the shark hunting crew.That surname has also now died out on Aran
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002386030/

Mike.

Offline DOC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying. We always wondered why Henry left Arklow for Aran, now we know!
We were lucky enough to meet Ciss over 20 years ago when we visited Aran. How I wish
I had asked her family history then.

All these little pieces help to build the picture of life on Aran. I have seen the movie, many years ago.

Thanks again.

Monica

Offline Georgieknits

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 October 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

Iam am indirectly related to the o'rourkes of inishmore through my grandfather James Cooney.  His sister Mary Cooney married Stephen O'Rourke in 1897 in Boston, USA then came back to Inishmore.  Thier daughter Maria was born in Boston, Stephen in Limerick and thier other two children on Inishmore.  I know Mary and her future husband Stephen O'Rourke both went to Boston around 1892 they appear on the 1900 Boston census and then the 1901 Ireland census Mary & the children in Limerick, Stephen on Inishmore.  Any other info you have would be useful.

Offline maryc3591

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone on this subject.

I inadvertently came across this forum today when googling Inishmore, as I plan to visit in the summer.
I am the great grand daughter of Mary Cooney and Stephen O'Rourke - my maternal grandmother was Catherine O'Rourke, she was the younger sibling born on Inishmore when the family returned from Boston.
I am sure that I can give information to both Georgieknits and Monica as in addition to my knowledge on the family, I can also ask my mother and my Aunt who is still in Ireland.

If I am correct Georgieknits, you would be a cousin of my mother and her siblings.  Her father was a Garda from Kerry whose name was John Hickey and he was married to Catherine O'Rourke.

Monica, my mother has spoken of the Lynchs.  she used to go to the lighthouse as a child and help clean the windows!  We also knew Ciss Lynch very well.  I have a photograph of myself with her outside her cottage, taken when I was 5 years old.

I would be really interested in making further contact and I know my mother will be too.

Best wishes,

Mary

Offline DOC1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 04:42 GMT (UK) »
I am so happy to get both your replies. Sorry it has taken so long to reply, Georgieknits.
I think our connection is through Stephens sister Margaret. I would like to share more info
so I will try to send a PM to you both.

Offline Mary Theresa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am Mary Theresa, granddaughter of Eileen Stocker nee Mary Ellen Lynch of Inis Mor. My great grandmother was Margaret Lynch nee O Rourke. My g g grandparents were Steven O Rourke & Mary O Malley. So what I can make out My great grandmother must have been Mary Cooney's sister in law. I must have
some unknown family out there, i came across this site looking for family names on Aran. Will be out there later this year.
Hope this is useful..
Mary