Author Topic: Colchester Quakers, WATERFALL  (Read 1150 times)

Offline ds0706

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Colchester Quakers, WATERFALL
« on: Thursday 05 May 05 13:02 BST (UK) »
Am trying to track down the family of Abraham & Ann (Peake) Waterfall in Colchester. They were in Kent in 1835 for the birth of dtr Elizabeth, then in Colchester for birth of Eliza (the one I'm most interested in) in 1839. Maidstone Kent for son Joseph in 1841 through 1848, back to Colchester for the 1851 census when I found them in Black Boy Lane.

Still in Colchester in 1852 when Elizabeth died, then nothing til 1861 when 2 sons & a daughter were in Notts. Cannot find Abraham (b 1803) or Ann (b 1805) in 1861 anywhere, so may have died in the interim.

They are possibly Quakers, so has anyone got access to the Essex Meetings registers which may yield some info, please?

Thank you
Doreen

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Colchester Quakers, WATERFALL
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 05 19:55 BST (UK) »
I copied these notes from the Non-Conformist info file at Essex Record Office:

"When the Quaker registers were surrendered in 1837 a transcript in the form of an alphabetical digest was made for each quarterly meeting which comprised several monthly meetings. Digests for the whole country are at Friends' House, Euston Road, London. A duplicate set of the digest volumes for the Essex Quarterly meetings are now in the Library of the University of Essex, Wivenhoe. A microfilm copy of the set of Essex digests at Friends' House is at Chelmsford branch of Essex RO ref: T/A 904/1"

The info file stated that the available records terminated at 1837 i.e. before your timescale

Offline ds0706

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 05 00:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help, Clincher. As I don't know quite when they arrived in Essex, and they may have been there before going to Kent, I might just get something out of that film when I next go to Colchester.

Cheers

Doreen

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 05 07:06 BST (UK) »
The Waterfalls don't appear on the 1841 Essex census.

from
Sue :'(
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ds0706

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 May 05 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sue, I had suspected that I would need to search Kent for 1841, now I'm sure of it.

cheers
Doreen