Author Topic: Sydenham Hewan SMITH  (Read 6547 times)

Offline Foad Family Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sydenham Hewan SMITH
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 08 September 11 14:36 BST (UK) »
Found it Thank you. And another brother Horace Vivian Smith. He married Ida May Florence Hilton and I found they both ended up in Sussex. Thanks again!!
FOAD, All
PETTMAN - All
CONACHY, All
BUNNY - All
BRIDGLAND, CHAPMAN, Hawkshurst, Goudhurst & Cranbrook)
MORLEY, GIBBS, Sussex, Clapham, Wandsworth, Streatham
KNIGHT, KEMP, ROYLE, RIDGWAY, Salford, Leeds
MORFEY, FIELD - Rye and Ramsgate
PHILPOTT, GOODWIN, Herne, Whitstable & Blean
Interested in ALL Margate & Whitstable, Kent surnames.

Offline LHurrey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 September 11 01:30 BST (UK) »
No problem. Sometimes I forget to check familysearch...but occasionally they really deliver.  :)

Offline URS59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 15 November 14 12:11 GMT (UK) »
HAVE BEEN LOOKING INTO FAMILY HISTORY FOR MY MUM AS SHE WANTED TO FIND OUT ABOUT PAST RELATIVES - JUST FOUND YOUR POST. HORACE VIVIAN SMITH WAS MY GRANDFATHER AND HIS WIFE WAS IDA MAY FRANCIS NOT FLORENCE HILTON. MY MUM ROWENA IS ONE OF THEIR DAUGHTERS AND WE STILL LIVE IN SUSSEX. THEIR OTHER DAUGHTER IS STILL ALIVE BUT UNFORTUNEATELY THEIR SON DIED A FEW YEARS BACK. I ALWAYS REMEMBER NAN HAVING THE WEDDING CERTIFICATE OF MY GREAT GRANDFATHERS MARRAIGE IN THE TOWER OF LONDON BUT DON`T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO IT  :'(   SYDENHAM WAS MY GRANDFATHERS BROTHER WHICH I REMEMBER NAN TELLING ME ABOUT HE ALSO HAD OTHER SIBLINGS - MARIE  - FLORENCE  - GEORGE - EUSTENE - WINIFRED - KATHLEEN - WALTER AND FREDRICK - BIG FAMILYT

Offline Foad Family Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow, how fantastic!! Eustine Smith was/is my Great Grandmother!!!
I only have one child for Horace and Ida, Ivan born and died 1929 in Lucknow India
I also have the Tower of London marriage cert! Would love to swap info as I know nothing on this side really
Suzannah
FOAD, All
PETTMAN - All
CONACHY, All
BUNNY - All

Offline URS59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 21 November 14 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, great to hear from you. My grandparents Horace and Ida did have a child that died but i think it might be the wrong year recorded as their first daughter Dephine was born in 1926 and my mum Rowena was born in 1929 my gran having fallen pregnant almost immediately after losing the other child so i think it might have been late 1928. Is your mum called Cindy and your granmother called Dianna as I can remember my mum looking after Diana`s children Cindy and Jeffrey sometimes. I vaguely remember Aunty Eustene as we didn`t see her very often and I was very young then. Grandad Horace came from a very big family - sadly they are all dead now and so is my grandmother Ida, but Aunty Del had 3 children who all have childreen and grandchildren, my mum and dad had 3 children - myself my brother Glenn and my sister Lynette. I have 3 children and six grandchildren and my brother has one daughter, my sister none.  Have got pictures of Horace in the Indian hockey team which might be of interest to you as he loved playing hockey and driving the trains across india. If there`s anything you want to know just ask and i`ll try and find out from my mum ok.
Ursula  :D

Offline URS59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Foad family kent - Smith family Sussex
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Thought i would sent another post as there has been no reply to my last one. I posted it under the Sydenham Smith if you want to check that one and get back to me. Would love to here from you as i vaguely remember Auntie Eustene.

Offline Foad Family Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 27 November 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Again

I have added Delphine and Rowena to the tree. I take they were born in India?
My great Grandmother Eustine was born 1895 in Bengal India, father Thomas Charles Smith being in the Army as you know and married at the Tower of London.
Eustine married Alfred Euston Bonnevile Field in 1917 also in India and they had 6 children. One being my grandmother Patricia (Pat) born 1931. It was in the early 1930s that Eustine moved back to England to Whitstable in Kent, (I live in Margate, 15 miles away). She divorced Alfred E B Field and married a Harry Care and had a daughter Diana in 1933 but she never married or had any children.
Eustine died in Ramsgate Kent in 1973 and my grandmother in 1986 when I was 6 years old, so never got to meet anyone from this side of the family, although I have tracked down a fair bit and some photographs along the way, never of Eustine though.

I have a picture of Horace in his Army uniform. I also have one of Thomas Charles Smith 1860-1928 and his wife Jane Margaret McCurley.
FOAD, All
PETTMAN - All
CONACHY, All
BUNNY - All

Offline SiobhanG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 28 August 17 00:08 BST (UK) »

I am not sure how to use this forum yet as I've only used 'ancestry ' but Sydenham was married to my Great Aunt, Gillian Swaris, who was born in India.

Thank you

uote author=Foad Family Kent link=topic=553798.msg4067043#msg4067043 date=1315306932]
After 10 years of searching I have finally found the correct names of two of my Great Grandmother brothers who were born in India.

Sydenham Hewan was born c.1899 and I have found a death for him in 1961 in Perth, Western Australia. Buried Karrakatta Cemetery PERTH. On the site I uncovered this it said his wife was GILLIAN SWARIS.
How would I find what he did for a living, where he lived, married and whether he had children.

The other fellow is Walter Mervyn SMITH born 1892 India. I would assume he also went ot Australia.
[/quote]

Offline SiobhanG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
As a new member I can't PM until I have three posts so Im sure that won't take me long as I have a few blanks in my family tree.
Gillian Swaris was my Grandfather's sister but he changed his name from John S Swaris to John S Grose without telling his children or Grandchildren. So I am trying to find out why he kelp this secret. He and my Grandmother and their parents were all born in India.
I need one more post to access my PM ;)