Author Topic: Death of Mrs Isabel ROSS-SODEN London 1924  (Read 6656 times)

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
Death of Mrs Isabel ROSS-SODEN London 1924
« on: Wednesday 07 September 11 02:38 BST (UK) »
Greetings to all,

I am seeking assistance in trying to identify the location and possible burial site of a distant relation - Mrs Isabel ROSS-SODEN. In the Sydney Hearld on the 17th December, 1924 it was announced "in London"  that Mrs Isabel ROSS-SODEN died whilst on holidays there. It mentions that she left behind 4 sons in Australia but the extact date or location of death is not recorded.

Isabel had been born Mary Isabel HORTON around 1851 in New South Wales, Australia. In the late 1890's she inherited a large fortune from her uncle James TYSON. Her mother was Maria HORTON (nee CLEMENTS later JONES). Her step-father was John Sturdy JONES. From the time of her inheritance she lived the life of a sociallite and participated in a number of Grand Tours of Europe and the Far East. I would like to determine if possible where she is buried and circumstances of her death as part of my family research. Any informantion or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sturdy
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Mrs Isabel ROSS-SODEN London 1924
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

The death registration

Deaths Dec 1924 
Ross-Soden  Mary I  72  Marylebone  1a 557

The death certificate will give you her cause of death and where precisely she died. The guide at the top of the Rootschat London and Middlesex boards to London burials will help in trying to determine which cemetery she was buried in. It starts with churchyards (which were increasingly closed from the 1850s onwards) and then lists with links to who holds the records the London cemeteries. The civic cemeteries are listed under which current modern London borough they are situated in. Having an address for the death helps in deciding which are the nearest cemeteries but as a starting point Marylebone is in Westminster. There are a large number of London cemeteries and the guide helps it trying to find a person's burial systematically. As she was a socialite a death notice may have been inserted into a London newspaper which might given information on the where the funeral was to take place. The Times doesn't state any information about the funeral, but does give the death date as 21st November after an operation, so she may have died in a London hospital. Knowing the exact death date is very useful if you are requesting searches in cemetery records since large London cemeteries can have quite a few burials on a daily basis. There are not many cemetery records online. Most records are held by London borough cemetery offices. You have to contact them to request a search. As you have an exact date of death the charge for any searches may be less.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 08:16 BST (UK) »
Just in case you have not got this:

http://www.leski.com.au/catalogues/a257/TPAI.php

Item 82 is a portrait of her.

Bit off your main point,

PM

Offline soden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 11 14:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Sturdy,
I have the information you are looking for but would be easier if you contacted me on my E Mail address
(*)
Thanks

Moderator comment: email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policies. Please use the personal message system to exchange this information

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 11 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi soden

Unless the information requested is about living people, there is no need for Rootschatters to send information on the personal message system.

If anyone does have info to share, please post it openly so that we can all see what has been found, others will then be happier to contribute and may have further things to add. Some chatters may be put off if they think it has all been done already, behind the scenes.

Please note that many people find the site using internet search engines and if the details aren't posted, you might miss out on potential links/ relatives.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 October 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
Just in case you have not got this:

http://www.leski.com.au/catalogues/a257/TPAI.php

Item 82 is a portrait of her.

Bit off your main point,

PM

The following items seem to be of the same family

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Soden55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 October 11 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sturdy,

Isabella was taken ill while traveling overseas, possibly in Egypt and her son Alfred traveled over to be with her and they went to London to seek medical treatment. She died in London, not sure why or of what but Alfred took her body back to Australia where she was burried next to her husband.
Those pictures in the Leski catalogue are not correct.  Isabella never had any daughters, and her 1st grandchild was not born till 1923.
Regards
Louise
UK - Joseph & Henry Soden in Middlsex - Lamb - Briggs
Australia  - Soden - Trinick - Heddle - Halton/Horton - Aston - Jones - Forbes - Hall - Harris - Fiddler - Vevers - Bercli - Goucher -  Rymer - Hitchcoe
Tasmania - Morey - Mitchelmore - Heddle
New Zealand - Forbes - Marriott - Ryan

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 October 11 03:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Louise and the other Rootschatters for the information on Isabella, it is very much appreciated.

In the end Isabella led a very interesting and colorful life given that it probably didn't have the best of starts. Louise would you know where Isabella and her husband where buried?

Louise I am particularly interested in Isabella's early life when she had John Study JONES as a step-father and Willian Study JONES (my g/g/grandfather) as a step-brother. I have a reasonable amount of information on John from 1832 to his death in 1894 but would appreciate information etc that may have filtered down you line of the family tree (stories / photos etc) that can expand on their day to day lives. I am more than happy to PM you if you are interested in anything on the JONES family which is a bit off this topic. 

I believe Isabella was very close with her half-sister Mary Matilda FORBES (nee JONES) and both lived in Vic whilst the rest lived in NSW. Again if you have any further information that would be great or if you would like some back ground on the JONES family please let me know.

Many thanks

Sturdy
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline Soden55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 October 11 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sturdy,
More than happy to share as I am interested in your part of the tree.  I can help with some things but not others.  Isabel and husband John Soden aka Ross-Soden are both burried in the St Kilda cemetery in Melbourne.  Emma Matilda Jones, a tailoress, was married in Perth 1897 to a baker Alexander Forbes but moved before or after her inheritance back to Sydney where they lived till he died in 1919 and Emma died in 1921 in Randwick.  As the only 2 still living of Maria's 5 children Isabel and Emma were along with the Tyson's entitled to a share of uncle James estate.
I have only been doing family history for about 3 years and have been mainly looking at the Soden tree, and trying to discover that family in England has been a very big challenge with a solid brick wall.  I get back to John's father Joseph Soden & Elizabeth Rattenbury in the 1851 census and get no further. So I have sort of neglected the areas closer to home. Sadly I was not interested when my grandfather Alfred was alive as I could have found out so much from him.  Bad luck!!  I do not yet know much about Isabel's early life, until she married John. John was a photographer and they lived in Kyneton Vic before moving to St Kilda.  John died suddenly in 1892 when the youngest child was only 4 years old.  Isabel inherited about 1899-1900.
I am new to this site so will try to post a photo of Isabel and Emma.  If you have other questions ask away and I will try to answer.
Cheers
Louise

UK - Joseph & Henry Soden in Middlsex - Lamb - Briggs
Australia  - Soden - Trinick - Heddle - Halton/Horton - Aston - Jones - Forbes - Hall - Harris - Fiddler - Vevers - Bercli - Goucher -  Rymer - Hitchcoe
Tasmania - Morey - Mitchelmore - Heddle
New Zealand - Forbes - Marriott - Ryan