Author Topic: Gideon William Pott  (Read 2906 times)

Offline SherlockBones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • today is the beginning of the future of yesterday
    • View Profile
Gideon William Pott
« on: Wednesday 07 September 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Looking for any information on the above - Marriage\children\death. He was still alive in 1953 [aged 83 – born 1869] when his brother Alexander died in Bowen, Queensland, Australia. He was originally from Australia and served in the Boer War. He returned to Australia after the war and again, sometime later returned to South Africa. Parents were Gideon Pott 1831 – 1913 and Ellen Phelps 1841 – 1933.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jon
AUSTRALIA WAS ALWAYS DESTINED TO BE A GREAT COUNTRY. AFTER ALL WE HAD THE WORLD'S BEST JUDGES SELECTING ITS INHABITANTS.

Offline rylean

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gideon William Pott
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 January 17 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon
Have you received any info on Gideon yet? I have that he married Violet Elizabeth and died on 5/7/1859. I have visited the farm originally settled by his parents Gideon & Ellen (Eleanor Phelps) in Bowen.
Regards
Anita

Offline SherlockBones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • today is the beginning of the future of yesterday
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 17 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anita
Thanks for your contact. Never got any info on this. As of 1953 when his brother Alexander John Pott died, Gideon William Pott was supposedly still in South Africa: -
Townsville Daily Bulletin Friday 16 October 1953
Mr. Alexander John Pott, who was born at Bowen on October 19, 1864, has died at his Queen's Beach home at Bowen. He was the eldest of a family of 10, whose parents first settled in Bowen almost 100 years ago. They originally settled at Burnford, where the grandchildren still carry on farming pursuits. The family probably comprises the oldest residents in Bowen.
Mr. Pott is survived by a sister, Mrs. E. J. Palmer aged 84), who resides with her son-in-law and daughter Mr. and Mrs. E. S. Briggs (Proserpine), and a brother, Gideon Wm. Pott (aged 83), of South Africa.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Jon
AUSTRALIA WAS ALWAYS DESTINED TO BE A GREAT COUNTRY. AFTER ALL WE HAD THE WORLD'S BEST JUDGES SELECTING ITS INHABITANTS.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 January 17 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Could this be him http://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=1155867 any idea what unit he served in during the boer war? Found his unit.
Boer War Nominal Roll:
Gideon William Pott
Service Number: 233

Unit: 3rd Queensland Mounted Infantry

Conflict / Operation: South Africa, 1899-1902 (Boer War)

Native place: Queensland, Australia

Source: Murray page number - 472
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 17 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Here is the daughter of William and Isabella, note the sons names on the grave http://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=1155869
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 January 17 14:03 GMT (UK) »

Offline Oliveja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 April 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is of any help but there is a large Pott family in Roxburghshire, Scotland and the Christian name Gideon was inherited through a number of generations up to the 1950s. My Great Grandfathermarried a Pott and my late aunt who died at 103 had Pott as her middle name. I am also aware there were Potts in Moffat, Dumfriesshire who had a strong S Africa connection. All Farming families.

J Oliver