Author Topic: Kingston Streets - Tivoli Ave, Echo Court & Hassards Court  (Read 7139 times)

Offline anchor4208

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kingston Streets - Tivoli Ave, Echo Court & Hassards Court
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 September 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
From "Historical Street Directory of Kingstown - Dun Laoghaire", published by the Dun Laoghaire Borough Historical Society in 2000.

"Desmond Avenue, which extends south off Cross Avenue, was built in 1904 as part of a housing scheme for the working classes.  The laneway to the rear of the houses on the west side of Desmond Avenue was originally the location of the 25 houses of Tivoli Avenue which faced onto the lane..." - page 21

and

"The east end of Dominick Street was originally the location of Hassards Court, later called Echo Court ..." - page 21
Ruth/Routh/Roth
Glendon
Maher
Mahony/Mahoney
Brady
Treacy/Tracey
Hanna
Duff

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 11 September 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, mystery solved.
I was sure it was round about that area.
Its nice to have some actual proof.
Regards Mark.
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.
OLD KILPATRICK / DUNTOCHER, SCOTLAND. Brown, Angus, Martin.
CO ANTRIM. N.IRELAND Harrison, Marshall, Hamilton, Bamford.
DUN LAOGHAIRE / DUBLIN, IRELAND. Breslin, Byrne.
ROSCOMMON, IRELAND. Breslin, Brislan, Kilalea.

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 12 September 11 13:55 BST (UK) »
I've just found out that my Grandmother was born in 58 Glasthule Road, October 1917. Are there any Electoral or other registers from this time that you could find who else was living at that address.
Regards Mark.
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 September 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
Can't help with electoral rolls, but here are the families in that road in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Glasthule/Glasthule_Road/

and in 1911

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Kingstown_No__4/Glasthule_Road/

As you probably know, House numbers in the census are not the same often as postal addresses.

Just in case the family was there before she was born.

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 September 11 16:17 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the family in question were residing at Sarsfield Street in 1911. they immigrated to Scotland sometime between then and 1930, but think that they were all still in Kingstown till the mid 1920's.

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Raised by Nuns Dun laoghaire
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 August 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
So my Grandmothers parents died in 1918 (aged 1) and 1920 (aged 3). Family Stories say that she was raised by nuns. Watching Boy George's Who do you think you are, he has a similar story that refers to Golden Bridge Convent in Dublin. Was there a similar facility in Dun laoghaire. Are there any entry records of these facilities. Her name Was Bridget Byrne. In 1933 she is resident in Scotland working as a Domestic Servant which seems typical of girls brought up in the Convent. Presumably she would have been there until she was 16 / 1939. Any Help Appreciated. Regards Mark Harrison

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 August 18 08:28 BST (UK) »
You could try writing to the Sisters of Mercy
I did a family tree for a friend and found his g grandfather died in 1897 and his widow was on the census minus a few children
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/North_Dock/Church_Place/1274449/
the widow married the lodger in June 1901 and was on the 1911 census with the children i was looking for
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Irvine_Terrace/14436/

so i looked for the girls in 1901 and found them here in Carysfort Ave,Convent
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Blackrock/Carysfort_Avenue/1314339/

the convent was basically an orphanage around that time but changed shortly after 1901 as the children were transferred to different industrial schools throughout the country the girls in question were transferred to Goldenbridge around late 1901/2
the above info i got from the Sisters of Mercy with some info stating that the mother had since remarried and had a comfortable home so could get her children back.

I had drafted a letter for my friend which he copied and signed and sent it off to Sisters of Mercy,sorry cant remember where address was as it was sometime ago.

Dathai