Author Topic: The Smithy, Llanfaes  (Read 5022 times)

Offline Llanfaes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Smithy, Llanfaes
« on: Friday 09 September 11 12:05 BST (UK) »
If anyone can tell me any history of the Old Smithy in Llanfaes, it would be much appreciated.

It was built in 1811 by the Henllys Estate. The keystone over the door is:
H
LM

Or might however have originally been:
H
IM

Thanks to www.penmon.org I have managed to get the census data for 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871.

1881 is a bit sketchy as no Smithy or Yr Efail is listed.
1891 David Hughes is the Blacksmith - living at Ty Tawel (Silent House). I am not sure where this is though or whether he was the blacksmith of Llanfaes Smithy?
1901 - Edward Owen is Blacksmith - living at Refail, Sling. Again, I am not sure where he was a blacksmith of, but it is unlikely to be the Llanfaes Smithy - I think?

I have the Electoral Roll for 1923 and am hoping to visit Anglesey Archives when they reopen to get some more.

I also plan to visit Bangor university too, as they hold the Henllys papers in their archives up to 1895.

The National Library of Wales has documents also from Henllys Estate from 1880- 1904.

I believe The Smithy may have been sold as part of the Henllys estate in 1950, again I am hoping to find out more information on this. The catalogue for the sale is held by The National Library of Wales.

Any further information or photos from any era that anyone could provide would be much appreciated.

Regards

Stuart

Offline Penmon

• RootsChat Member
  • Penmon Lighthouse
    • View Profile
Re: The Smithy, Llanfaes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 September 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Have found Donald McDonald, 45 of Scotland, a coachman,  living at Ty Refail, Llanfaes in 1901 with his son John, 14, a Pony Boy (domestic).
Ken
Roberts, Beaumaris, Caim, Penmon
Jones, Caim, Penmon
Davies, Llanrwst, Llanarmon Yn Ial
Williams, Nant Y Rhiw, Capel Garmon
Hughes, Capel Garmon
Michell, Cwmystwyth, Mary Tavy, Devon
Jenkins, Blaenau Ffestiniog

Offline catringoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 11:08 GMT (UK) »
I know this is a very old threat, but any chance you found out more? I have the name of another, earlier blacksmith in Llanfaes 1830s, but I'm not sure if he was living at the smithy though. His name was William Owen. He died in 1837, and his wife then remarried Richard Thomas the smith that appears with her in the 1841 census!

There is a William Owen who appears in papers where land was redeveloped and the smithy built I believe, but I haven't seen those. I assume that he was the same William Owen that I have details for.
Catrin
Jones / Roberts / Eames/ Owen / Griffiths - Llanddona / Llanfaes / Llansadwrn Sir Fon, Anglesey
Morgans / Samuel - Llanarthe / Llannon
Jacob - Llandeilo Fawr
Hopkins - Pontarddulais

Offline GillyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 January 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Have a look on the website about Penmon Anglesey - vast amount of information on there.

Offline catringoch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 June 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gilly, I have been in touch with the owner of the site and my info has also been added to the Penmon website. You're right it's an absolute treasure of information.
Catrin
Jones / Roberts / Eames/ Owen / Griffiths - Llanddona / Llanfaes / Llansadwrn Sir Fon, Anglesey
Morgans / Samuel - Llanarthe / Llannon
Jacob - Llandeilo Fawr
Hopkins - Pontarddulais

Offline GreatWesternRhedyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 18:24 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather Owen Jones was born in Llanfaes 24.5.1877. His father Isaac Jones was the Blacksmith in the village at that time but I cant confirm whether Owen was actually born in the Smithy house. They dont appear on any Llanfaes census returns as they were at Nannerch Smithy in Flintshire in 1871 and had moved again to the Rhyl area by the next census in 1881.