Author Topic: Herbert HIRONS  (Read 10948 times)

Offline salhyde

• RootsChat Member
  • Milburn Jug
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert HIRONS
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 September 11 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,

Most of all I'd like to know if it is recorded anywhere who Herbert's father might be. I guess it wasn't something you shouted about back then, being illegitimate, so perhaps it isn't. I do know that when he was 10 months old Elizabeth was recorded on the 1881 census with her sister Lucy Beck, + husband John Beck and a one year old child in Twywell. By 1891 Elizabeth had married Robert Hirons and has several other children and were living in Irthlingborough. I do have some information about the Hirons further back and the Whites (Elizabeth's maiden name). I also know that Herbert became a hotel proprietor and died quite young 48years in 1929, his wife Bertha E Brockwell two years before him in 1927. They are both buried in Newton Road Cemetery Rushden.

I'd love to hear anything form anyone with connections to him or Bertha or any Hirons :)
Hyde, Driver, Hirons, Tite, James, Brockwell, White, Flawn : Northampton.
Milburn, Beardall, Legender, Hall, Beck, Wilton: Sunderland
Brown, Hall, Staig, Hood: Fife Scotland
Park, Stephenson, Lister : Newcastle upon Tyne
Beardall, Duke: Nottinghamshire

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
HI again Sally.

I found Herbert's baptism record today.

Twywell C of E

Pg.79, No. 631
Baptism 3rd July 1881 Born 27 Feb 1881
Herbert to Elizabeth White, Twywell

Looks as though confirmation of father is near enough impossible.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline salhyde

• RootsChat Member
  • Milburn Jug
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandy. It does seem like it is not possible, but it was worth a try. Thanks for the Baptism record :)

Offline Nee Hirons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
Interested to read your comments re Herbert Hirons and his mother and stepfather, Robert. Robert is a direct ancestor of mine. Elizabeth White was my great grandmother. Mother to my grandfather Horace William, who was the first born child of Robert and Elizabeth (nee White). I can remember there being quite a family scandal when the sister of Horace and half-sister of Herbert (name of Clara) died and left Herbert and one other brother out of her Will, saying that they were not Hirons even although they had adopted that surname. It seems that Robert was definitely not the father. I don't have any further information but will ask around older members of the family if they have any further information. Herbert had died before I was born but I do have considerably older cousins who may remember more than I do.

Offline salhyde

• RootsChat Member
  • Milburn Jug
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 October 14 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Nee Hirons,

I was very excited to read your reply to my Herbert thread :-) Herbert Hirons was my great grandfather, my granny was Violet Hirons she married Philip Hyde. I have Herbert's birth cert and know for sure he was born a year prior to Robert and Elizabeth's marriage. I have been trying to figure it all out and my living elders all seem to have no recollection of anything spoken of. My Dad is Violets second son and his 2 siblings know nothing. I do seem to remember, and Mum says I did met Leonard Hirons.

I had just assumed that Herbert was the only illegitimate one, and I was keen to try to figure out my 'real' heritage, so wanted to try and find who his birth father was. I had no idea that there was another illegitimate child as well. Do you know the name of the other child? Do you know what Clara's last name was when she died by chance? I would love to chat more I will send you a personal message with my email :-) Sally

Offline Nee Hirons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 October 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again Sally

I'm really sorry I can't pick up your personal message as I have only just joined this forum and I believe you have had to post a few messages before being allowed to do so. I did try but was barred from reading your message, very disappointing. I am going to try and digest all the information you have posted on the site and fit it into what I already knew about the family.

I always wondered how Johnny Hyde was related to my father, he was very proud to know Johnny and say 'he is my cousin'. I remember the family talking about Herbert being the landlord of the Wheatsheaf Inn in Rushden.

Clara (Gt Aunt to me) married Frank Walker, I remember both of them. Do you know much about Herbert's siblings? They lived in Irthlingborough not far from my grandparents, Agnes Mary and Horace William. I was born in 1951 the youngest but one grandchild of Horace Hirons, my oldest cousin was born in the 1920s! By the way, I am the daughter (last and third child of John Leonard Hirons and Constance Isabel nee Buxton), the second son an sixth child of Horace and Agnes Hirons. I have two older brothers, Michael (the rugby player) and Richard.

Elizabeth had an older child born before her marriage, his name was Fred.

I have just moved house so I am working pretty much from memory, all my research stuff is in boxes in the loft, apologies! From memory again, I believe both Elizabeth and Robert Kiddle Hirons were servants at the time of their marriage, which may explain why they married so far away from their home in Northamptonshire.

You may be interested to know that Johnny Hyde taught my older brother to play Rugby when my brother was at Wellingborough Grammar school. Johnny was very much a local hero. My brother played hooker and played for the county youth team as well as some matches for the Royal Navy. He had a good teacher.

I will try and get my head round the family tree at some stage today after I finish my work. I can recall that Robert Kiddle Hirons and Elizabeth were married in Manchester Cathedral, can't remember the date off the top of my head, sorry.

I see you live in NZ. How wonderful. I used to live in Howick, Auckland (Manukau City) in the 80s and early 90s. Miss it so much. Did you emigrate to NZ or were you born there?

You say you met Len, he was a big man, he and Ralph and Horace were all big men with hands like dinner plates! My father used to say his grandmother was over 6' tall ... I assume he was referring to Elizabeth but I can't be certain of that.

Looking forward to having some private chats with you in due course when I am allowed.(I guess the rule is to protect the users from trolls and suchlike).

How lovely to speak to a long-lost relative. I will do what I can to fill in some of the blanks about the family.

Kindest regards
Lesley

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 October 14 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Lesley welcome to Rootschat  :).

Just reply again and you should be able to view your new rellie's P.M.

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline markjones99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry if I am resurrecting an old thread but I have just found this forum after deciding to revisit my old family research. Herbert Hirons was my great grandfather, father of my grandmother Dora Hirons who married name was Ballard. Sally - I think I may have spoken to you via Ancestry.co.uk a while back and I will consider rejoining that site.
Jones - Wiltshire
Ballard - Northamptonshire, East London
Hirons - Northamptonshire
Bradshaw - North Bedfordshire

Offline salhyde

• RootsChat Member
  • Milburn Jug
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 03:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark Jones, yes I do seem to remember chatting to you. My grandmother was Violet Hirons (married Phillip Hyde) - Dora's younger sister. That makes us related :-). I would really like to see a photo of Herbert or Bertha, dont suppose you have any? I think I may rejoin ancestry too - its been a while :-)