Author Topic: Youdan Family of York  (Read 57265 times)

Offline bonevich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Youdan Family of York
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I would still love to see the info.  Who knows when I will find that I am related to the York Youdans ;)  Is it too much to transcribe?  Or do you want me to forward my mail info offlist to forward photocopies? (I would be happy to reimburse for copying charges.)

jeff

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 February 06 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeffrey,

The writing not too clear but this is what I read...

Geo & Mary Youdan in the Parish of All Saints, York.
Ann Youdan born September 14th 1826
Baptised & Registered All Saints Pavement.
Robert Youdan born May 6th 1822 or 1820
Born in the Parish of All Saints Pavement
Baptised & Registered at Holme on Spalding Moor
And All Saints of York.
Mary Youdan born December 23rd 1820/30
Baptised and Registered in the Parish of Saint Sampson
George Youdan born March 23rd 1832
Baptised and Registered in the Parish of Saint Johns Mickelgate
Emily Youdan born February 19th 1834 Baptised and Registered in the Parish of Saints John Mickelgate

Charles Youdan born November 20th 1834/36 Baptised and Regestered in the Parish of Saint Johns Micklegate

Henry Youdan borne October 30th 1837
William Youdan born February 11th 1839
Charles Youdan born November 23rd 1834

Henry Youdan born October 30th 1838
Baptised and Registered in the parish Chad
Marketplace Pontefract
William Youdan born July 11th 1839 Registered in
The Parish of All Saints Pavement York
Harriet Youdan born May 30th 1842 registered in the Parish
Of all Saints Pavement York.

Hope this helps your research  (I would love to know)

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bonevich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 February 06 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Sarah -

Thanx for the transcribed info.  I will keep it in my records.  Does not look like close relatives to my Youdans, but you never know.  I may find the connection somewhere down the line!

jeff

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 20:43 GMT (UK) »

Best of Luck Jeff  :)

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Joffrey58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 February 06 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, anyone got any connections with the Youdans from the Doncaster and Sheffiield area? Still trying to make a connection to Thomas Youdan of Sheffield Theartre fame amongst other things. If anyone has a possible link to Youdans in those areas and Bawtry (Notts)  /York I'd be please to hear from you.

Jon
Sheffield
Bradshaw, Brennan, Youdan, Hurst, Shipston, Sheldon, Walton, Bunting, Worrall, Smith, Wright

Offline bonevich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 February 06 04:36 GMT (UK) »
My YOUDANs were living in Hatfield Woodhouse, very near to Doncaster, from the early to mid 1600's through 1834.  The surname seems to have developed out of an earlier spelling of YOUDAL, or even UDALL.  I have more details if this jives with anything you might have.

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the PM system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Joffrey58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 February 06 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeffrey, thanks for the reply. Seems your email address was removed by the Mod so i guess this is the only way to reply? My GGG mother was Ann Youdan 1837 brn Oldcoates Notts, parents William 1800 and Mary 1798. Wiliams parents were I  think Samuel 1777 and Ann 1780. Ann married James Brennan and lived in Balby/Hexthorpe (all their children have Youdan as a middle name). William and Samuel were born in Hatfield and lived there at some point. Still trying to make a link to Thomas Youdan (think he was Williams brother with George) born Streetthorpe (Doncaster) and was prominent in Sheffield mid 1800s opening the Surrey and Alexandra Theartres as well as sponsoring the worlds first Football trophy 'The Youdan Cup'. Any links to that lot?

Jon
Bradshaw, Brennan, Youdan, Hurst, Shipston, Sheldon, Walton, Bunting, Worrall, Smith, Wright

Offline bonevich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 February 06 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Jon -

I do have some information that bears some resemblance to what you present.  What I have:

William YOUDAN, blacksmith of Hatfield and Bearswood Green, baptized 2 March 1768 in Hatfield.  Married Ann ------, and had at least four children, including:
  * Mary YOUDAN, born 7 November and baptized 8 November 1795 in Hatfield;
     died 10 November and buried 12 November 1795, in Hatfield.
  * William YOUDAN, baptized 29 December 1799, in Hatfield, "the fourth child of
     William Youdan."

William was the son of:
Thomas YOUDAN (or YOUDAL - a variant spelling), a farmer of Hatfield Woodhouse ane Bearswood Green, baptized in Hatfield, 2 August 1729, and died in Bearswood Green on 16 May 1781, aged 52 years, buried in Hatfield on 17 May 1781.  He married in Hatfield on 1 January 1758, Mary WILBURN, daughter of Matthew, a blacksmith of Hatfield Woodhouse, and Hannah WILBURN.  They had at least 10 children:
  * John YOUDAN, baptized at Hatfield, 12 August 1758; buried there, 19 Nov 1758
  * Thomas YOUDAN, baptized at Hatfield, 25 April 1760; married Jane WOOD,
     22 October 1795, at Hatfield.  She was buried at Hatfield, 19 January 1841,
     aged 88 years, the "widow of Thomas Youdan, of Misson."
  * Frances YOUDAN, baptized at Hatfield, 4 December 1761; buried there,
     26 October 1763
  * Matthew YOUDAN (possibly), a bricklayer of Hatfield and later Bearswood Green,
     married Hannah DAWSON
  * Fanny YOUDAN, baptized at Hatfield, 24 January 1766
  * William YOUDAN, baptized at Hatfield, 2 March 1768 (see above)
  * John YOUDAN, baptized at Hatfield, 16 November 1770
  * Miles YOUDAN, baptized at Hatfield, 9 April 1773
  * Mary YOUDAN, baptized at Hatfield, 30 December 1774
  * Samuel YOUDAN, born in Hatfield Woodhouse, 15 May, and baptized at Hatfield,
     28 June 1778

This Thomas YOUDAN/YOUDAL was the son of John YOUDAN/YOUDALL (1702 - 1776) and Frances WOEMACK (d. 1744) of Hatfield Woodhouse.  John was the son of Thomas YOUDEN (1666-1723) and Alice SHEPHEARD (b. 1669), of Hatfield.  Thomas was the son of Thomas UDALL/YOUDALL/YEWDALL/YOUDAN/YOUDON (abt 1627 - 1672) and Anne MOORE (b. 1634), of Hatfield.  This Thomas may have been the son of a John UDALL, baptized in Hatfield, 21 January 1593/4, son of Thomas UDALL/UDEN of Hatfield who left a will dated 30 September 1639, proven April 1640.  The will was taken orally, and mentions his daughters Elizabeth (bapt. 1596) and Joan (bapt. 1599), but does not mention John (who was apparently dead by the time) nor any children by John.  The name YOUDALE is said to be the common NW West Riding spelling of the West Riding surname YEWDALE (Redmond's English Surname Series).  YEWDALE is derived from Yewdale in North Lancashire, where Fountains Abbey had sheep-runs.  Fountains Abbey also had grazing fields in Airedale, Yorkshire, and the name may have been brought there from Yewdale.  There is also a Yewdale near Coniston Lake in Yorkshire.  Lastly, there is a village named Yeadon in the West Riding between Bradford and Leeds.  The earliest occurrence of the surname is Alicia de YOWDALL in 1379 (Bardsley, Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames).

Any of this match your info?  I have a little more, but this is the bulk.  I am descended from Thomas YOUDEN (1666-1723) through his son Joseph (1710-1782).

jeff

Offline Di Mac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 January 07 21:09 GMT (UK) »
We have recently moved into a house in Bawtry, Doncaster, which was bulit in 1809. I have just received the title deeds from the years past and George Youdan appears in the details. I have just put his name into a search engine and found this site.

The details that I have are that he died on the 9th September 1916. There is an address of 497 Romford Road, Forest Gate in Essex. He was a retired butcher.

It appears that he could have possibly left the house to James Thomas Everitt Baldwin of 103 Fairbridge Road, Upper Holloway and Edward Townsend Page of Hailweston Street, Neots both of Essex.

However, the title deeds are very jargonised and Im not sure of the relationship between James and Edward or why he had a house in Bawtry but lived in Essex. Maybe you know?