Author Topic: FREETHORPE - Panks family 1700s  (Read 3336 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FREETHORPE - Panks family 1700s
« on: Sunday 11 September 11 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if anyone may have access to the registers of Freethorpe?

I have just found from the 1734 Norfolk poll book that my ancestor Simon Panks (bef c1714-1760) had freehold in Freethorpe.

He was resident of 'Rantham' (?Wrentham) at the time and this was the location given on his 1735 marriage at Lound. However after this he moved to Southwold, Suffolk, where he died in 1760.

However I have not been able to trace his origins but, with the emergence of this freehold property, I now wonder if he was originally from Freethorpe.

If anyone may be able to assist me I wonder be most grateful.

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: FREETHORPE - Panks family 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 September 11 00:12 BST (UK) »
Further to my post, I have just had a look at the Norfolk registers online at familysearch.

However for Freethorpe they only start at 1758, while the TNA entry states they hold them from 1755 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=153-pd355&cid=-1#-1

Does anyone know if the records for earlier than this for Freethorpe just do not survive?

Thanks,
Jon

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 September 11 01:06 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this could be the baptism entry, mistranscribed:

Simon Parks bp.22/2/1710 Burgh Castle, Suffolk, son of James Parks and Elizabeth.

Burgh Castle is just a little NE of Freethorpe.

There also a marriage of a James Panks to Elizabeth Jenkinson 13/10/1708 Bradwell, Suffolk (now Norfolk), Bradwell being immediately SE of Burgh Castle.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 September 11 18:15 BST (UK) »
Well, Annette, I could kiss you! Rootschat never ceases to amaze me.

I have had a look at the image on the Norfolk registers on familysearch and the name is indeed Panks!

Furthermore, there is also a Martha daughter of [blank] Panks who was baptised there in 1709.

She would fit with a Martha Panks who married the same year [1735] and at the same place [Lound] as my Simon.

Thank you so very much for looking into this.

If anyone has any information on the registers of Freethorpe, I'd love to hear.

Jon

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 September 11 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon

Pleased to have helped.

Have checked and it seems that the original Freethorpe parish records held in Norfolk Archives only begin 1758 for baptisms and burials, 1755 for marriages.

However, it states that records from 1600 are included in Archdeacons and Bishops Transcripts although I would guess it would be a long trawl searching these.

Good luck.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Annette. Following your breakthrough message, I have now found out the following about the Panks family:

James Panks of Bradwell and Elizabeth Jenkinson of Lound, married at Bradwell in 1708.

They had a daughter Martha Panks at Burgh Castle in 1709 and a son Simon Panks also baptised there in 1711 NS.

Two further daughters, Margaret and Elizabeth, were baptised at Oulton in 1713 and 1716.

Elizabeth, the wife of James, was buried at Oulton in 1718.

James Panks then remarried at Lound in 1721 to Sarah Thwaits and had four children at Lound:

Sarah Panks (1721 – 1721), James Panks (1724 – 1724), James Panks (b. 1728) and Sarah Panks (1729 – 1730).

His daughter Elizabeth from his first marriage also died at Lound in 1722.

However there don't appear to be any more Panks burials at Lound after 1730, so I think maybe the family then moved to Wrentham.

Simon Panks was living in 'Rantham' at his 1735 marriage and also in 1734, when he is listed in the Norfolk poll book as having a freehold property at Freethorpe.

I am just posting these details here in case future researchers come across the post.

Thanks again Annette.

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 September 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Just came across this post and I have also messaged Jon as I think we share ancestry.  So I’m hoping this research is also what I’m after as well. 

As Margaret Panks b 1744 in Southwold as the record is just a transcription on ancestry it says father Simon mother Margt, just wondering if this then could be incorrect and her mother would be Martha?

Margaret Panks then being the mother of my ancestor Maria panks who marries William Colby in 1787.  Margaret it seems had 4 children as an unmarried mother before marrying Henry Pritty or Pretty.  Which I thought rather unusual to have so many out of wedlock back then.

Any advice would be appreciated
Blessings
Deb

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 September 18 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,

Thanks for the reply to my message. Always nice to hear someone has come across an old thread of mine!

Margaret Panks/Pritty (1744-1826) was indeed the daughter of Samuel Panks and Martha Durrant. Unfortunately the fact that the Suffolk parish registers are still to be put online/transcribed means lots of these lines can't be taken much further back at the moment.

You have perhaps seen though that Margaret's death is recorded in the Southwold Diary of James Maggs: '1826 April 25th I held an inquest upon the body of Margaret Pritty, who died suddenly yesterday. Verdict died by the Visitation of God.'

Margaret's story is interesting having so many children outside of marriage. 'Base born' children are found in all parish registers but it would be interesting to know who her children's fathers were. I doubt though we will ever know.

Your reply did make me have a look again at the Panks family and see if they are are in Freethorpe. The only possibility I could find was a Mary Pamp, wife of James, who was buried in 1724. But this might not be them.

However there are members of the Jenkinson family in Freethorpe which I hadn't seen before. So I now rather suspect that Margaret's father Simon Panks (1711-1760) must have had freehold property there because he inherited something from his mother Elizabeth Jenkinson/Panks' family.

More digging to be done!

Jon   

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 September 18 04:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jon ... have filled in best as I can found most of the corresponding records, what a huge job you’ve done. 

I hadn’t seen the inquest information for Margaret’s death so that’s interesting.

The Panks certainly seem to move about a bit, but then so do the Albrow family, who Margaret’s grand daughter Margaret Colby marries into.  A lot of them where wherryman so assume they travelled via the river?

Interesting that you found a will for Simon’s mother Elizabeth I don’t suppose that’s online too?

Thank you for sharing what you’ve found
Blessings
Deb