Author Topic: FREETHORPE - Panks family 1700s  (Read 3346 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FREETHORPE - Panks & Jenkinson families 1700s
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 September 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb,

Your post getting me to have a look again has led to me finding the will of George Jenkenson of Lound from 1719.

This confirms what I suspected as in it he names his grandson Simon Panks and left him property in Freethorpe.

The will is here:

http://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/collections/getrecord/GB173_IC_AA1_148_119

So George Jenkenson who died in 1719 was the father of Elizabeth Panks/Jenkinson who must have been born c1671-1690 who married James Panks in Bradwell in 1708. she died in 1718.

George Jenkenson appears to have been married three times, firstly to Elizabeth and had Francis in 1665, Robert in 1669 and Henry died 1670 all at Frethorpe. The parish registers are a a bit patchy for this period due to them being Bishop's transcripts.

George then later married Hannah Carnwell of Hopton in 1710 and after her apparent death in 1713 he then married Margaret Connold in 1714. This Margaret is named in the will.

In his 1719 only his son-in-law James Panks and his four grandchildren Simon, Martha, Margaret and Elizabeth are named so I assume all his children must have predeceased him.

That is where I am at with the family at the moment.

Best wishes,
Jon

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: FREETHORPE - Panks family 1700s
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 September 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Jon for sharing what you’ve found you’ve certainly managed to find out quite a lot.  To view the will do I just need to register? 

I’ve still got quite a bit of filling in to do but would not have got mich further back without what you’ve uncovered.

Thank you
Deb

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: FREETHORPE & LOUND - Jenkenson & Panks families 1600s-1700s
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 October 18 12:57 BST (UK) »
So after doing quite a bit of digging around I have found out the following about the Jenkenson or Jenkinson family of Freethorpe. I will outline this below. Sadly the original parish registers only survive from 1755 and only some pages of the Archdeacon's transcripts for the period before then survive.

For the 1600s less than 20% of the BT entries survive for the following decades: 5 years of the 1600s, 2 years of the 1620s, 2 years of the 1630s, 4 years of the 1660s and 6 years of the 1670s. You can see the issues this holds for genealogy when there are non for the 1610s, 1640s, 1650s, 1680s and 1690s.

Despite this some wills of the periods are helpful and help unlock the Jenkenson family. It is worth remembering to check surnames on the indexes on both the Norfolk and Suffolk records websites for this area as the two counties were so close together.

From this I have been able to put together the following information on the Jenkensons of Freethorpe, Norfolk and Lound, Suffolk.

The earliest Jenkenson entry in the registers for Freethorpe is the 1625 burial of Elizabeth wife of who appears to be Richard Jenkenson. He could link into the other Jenkenson families of Oulton and Halvergate as they have Richards but this is not sure.

Moving on a few years there are some baptisms and burials in the 1660s and from the wills and other parish records the following can be put together.

George Jenkenson of Freethorpe married Elizabeth Hanne of Freethorpe at St Andrew Norwich on 10 May 1654. We can here assume that George was therefore born before c1633 and from the births of her children Elizabeth was born c1625-1638.

George Jenkenson is known from the 1670 Bishop Transcript page of 1670 to have been a church warden and he signed this record with an symbol that looks like an arrow.

This same signature witnessed the will of Henry Jenkenson a husbandsman of Freethorpe in 1698. This will was proved in 1704 and it would therefore seem probable that Henry was George's brother as George named a son Henry. Henry's will names his daughter Ann Jenkenson (prob m. Thomas Day in 1706 and died 1710) and grandchildren Henry Pitcher (then under 21), Elizabeth Pitcher and Katherine Pitcher.

George Jenkenson and Elizabeth Hanne/Jenkenson have three children named in the surviving BTs for Freethorpe: Francis baptised 1665, Robert baptised in 1670 and Henry buried in 1670. However neither Francis or Robert are named in his will dated 1695/6 so like Henry they two must have died.

George's will dated 10 Feb 1695/6 shows he was a blacksmith and this names his eldest son George Jenkenson, a farmer, and his second son Edmund Jenkenson, a blacksmith. Given George and Elizabeth's marriage date and the order of birth of the sons George Jenkenson was presumably born between c1654-1662 and Edmund Jenkenson between c1655-1663. George's will also names his grandson Robert Harth, a minor in 1695/6, so there must have been a daughter who married and predeceased her father.

George Jenkenson I will can be found online here at familysearch...
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C398-ZZKB?i=312&cat=504379

George Jenkenson I was buried in Freethorpe in April 1708 leaving his two sons George II and Edmund alive. His eldest son namesake George Jenkenson II is my ancestor and he moved to Lound in Suffolk. His will and other records help fill in his family line. George Jenkenson II had three wives: Dorothy (d. 1701), Hannah Conold/Carnwell m. 1710 (d.1713) and widow Margaret Wilkinson/Conold m. 1714 (d.1720.)

George II's father's will names his grandson George Jenkenson, so George Jenkenson III, and he is assumed to be a son of George II. However George III died in October 1712 and was buried in Lound. The will of George I in relation to this bequest to his grandson states that George III had a brother and sisters so we can add in at least two more daughters and a son born to George II and his wife.

The registers of Lound show that George II and Dorothy had twin sons Robert and Edmund who were baptised and buried in Lound in January 1697. This was after George I wrote his will so they are not the brother but we know that this unnamed brother in the will of George I must have died as no sons are named in the will of George II.

In fact George Jenkenson II outlived all his children as his daughter Elizabeth, wife of James Panks who she married in Bradwell in 1708, died in 1718. Her unnamed sister or sisters must also have died by then too as no children are named in the will. Therefore the beneficiaries of George II's will were her three children [his grandchildren] Martha Panks (b. 1709), Simon Panks (b. 1710), Margaret Panks (b. 1713) and Elizabeth (1716-1722).

George's brother Edmund Jenkenson died in 1724 and he had a son Francis (baptised 1707) by his wife Martha (d. 1707) and he also had two daughters named in his will, Martha and Wiifred. He later remarried widow Margaret Leeder in 1721 and his will indicates her first husband may actually have been alive at the time of the marriage. It is an interesting part of the story.

And for now that is all I have on the family. I would love to hear from anyone else researching the family.

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline Deb Clark Rennie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 October 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Wow Jon you’ve done an amazing amount of research and it’s really very generous of you to share all you’ve found.  I will need to re read it a few times to put it all together in my mind.

I descend from George the same as you as Margaret Panks is the mother Maria who is my ancestor.

Hopefully I will be able to visit the cemetery at Lound when I take me trip next year so all of this information is AMAZING! Thank you.

I will need a coffee to sit and re read all of this.

Deb

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 October 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
No worries at all. Good to share.

So your line goes:

George Jenkenson (bef c1633-1708) & Elizabeth Hanne m. 1654
George Jenkenson (c1654/62-1719) & Dorothy (d.1701) (although his below daughter Elizabeth named none of her children Dorothy so there was perhaps a wife before her)
Elizabeth Jenkenson/Panks (c1675/90-1718) & James Panks (bef c1687-aft 1730) m. 1708 [he remarried Sarah Thwaites in 1721]
Simon Panks (1711-1760) & Martha Durrant/Panks/Holsworth (c1712/17-aft 1765) m.1735
Margaret Panks/Pritty (1744-1826)

All for now,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: FREETHORPE & LOUND - Jenkenson & Panks families 1600s-1700s
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 October 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry George Jenkenson I's son Robert Jenkesnon was baptised in Freethorpe in 1669, not 1670. A mis-type there.

George Jenkenson and Elizabeth Hanne/Jenkenson have three children named in the surviving BTs for Freethorpe: Francis baptised 1665, Robert baptised in 1670 and Henry buried in 1670. However neither Francis or Robert are named in his will dated 1695/6 so like Henry they two must have died.

George's will dated 10 Feb 1695/6 shows he was a blacksmith and this names his eldest son George Jenkenson, a farmer, and his second son Edmund Jenkenson, a blacksmith. Given George and Elizabeth's marriage date and the order of birth of the sons George Jenkenson was presumably born between c1654-1662 and Edmund Jenkenson between c1655-1663.