Author Topic: Simpson of Urquhart  (Read 9354 times)

Offline mariahswind

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson of Urquhart
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 August 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
thank you for clearing this up... like I said I have only seen f as an s when there is a second s in the word.
Derby: Riley
Stafford: Riley
Warks: Pheasey (Butler,  Rawbone)
Yorks: (Howell, Coppock)
Berks & Oxon: Dix, Dixon, Dixey
Lincs: Dewey, Reynolds, Proctor
Leicestershire: Dewey
Wiltshire: Reynolds, Smallbones
Moray: Matthew, Simpson, Duncan, Shand
Aberdeen: Morrison, Ross
Lanark: Smith
Wicklow: Headon/Hayden
Kildare: Headon/Hayden
Westmeath: Convey, Callaghan
Londonderry: Archer
(Parentheses indicate interest outside my own tree)
http://www.myfamilyobsession.com

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 August 12 09:38 BST (UK) »
Whoops, that's what I get for listening to an old guy who had lived there!

:-\
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 August 12 10:55 BST (UK) »

Interesting. I'll go and ask around when I am passing (it's only 5 or 6 miles from where I live, and I once viewed and almost bought a house there before common sense prevailed - it has vast acres of lawn which would have taken ages to look after), but it's signposted with the 'f' and the 19th century censuses also say Meft. Googling for meft moray produces 57,100 results, but mest moray produces a load of stuff in Norwegian so it's difficult to say how many results there would be - in the first six pages there are only two real hits for Mest referring to this place, one of which is this thread. LIBINDX has Meft Cottage but no Mest.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mcsqueel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Howdy
Very old post. But an interesting read for me. The family tree obsession is only new for me and unfortunately Ive not been able to leave it alone.
The Jane Simpson b 28 June 1789 in Urquhart to John Simpson and Margaret Duncan I have discovered (after many frustrating hours, plenty of reading and a bit of luck) is my 4th great grandmother.
Her daughter Ann Mathew b 1814 married John Campbell (Im stuck with him) a coal miner and left the area.
Ann passed away in Edinburgh 1893.
Mcsqueel

Offline RWTaylor

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 January 17 19:23 GMT (UK) »

Interesting. I'll go and ask around when I am passing (it's only 5 or 6 miles from where I live, and I once viewed and almost bought a house there before common sense prevailed - it has vast acres of lawn which would have taken ages to look after), but it's signposted with the 'f' and the 19th century censuses also say Meft. Googling for meft moray produces 57,100 results, but mest moray produces a load of stuff in Norwegian so it's difficult to say how many results there would be - in the first six pages there are only two real hits for Mest referring to this place, one of which is this thread. LIBINDX has Meft Cottage but no Mest.

I've come late to this debate but I can absolutely confirm that the croft was called Moss of Meft - because my Great Granny lived there and I spent most of my school holidays there when I was a young boy. It was very different then - I remember the excitement when my Auntie Nell got a Calor gas cooker, so she didn't have to cook on the fire.

RWT