Author Topic: Stevens  (Read 15668 times)

Offline alansdad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stevens
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 September 14 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding, have only just found your post. I too am a descendant of Joshua, through his son Edward and Grandaughter Elizabeth who married John Cove. In effect Joshua was my gx3 grandfather. I do have some history of the Stevens family, mainly dates and of course I have seen the information about the swing riots. One area I can't seem to progress is what happened to Joshua's older brother Robert after his pardon in 1836, Any ideas?

Graham
GLS - Cove, Autrey, Watts, Roberts, Stevens
Sutherland - MacLeod, McLeod, Bannerman
Devon - Watts
Hants - Watts
Wilts - Stevens, Cove

Offline melaniet

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 August 17 05:20 BST (UK) »
i have a melody stevens on my dna list. does anybody have any info on her? Also I am looking for any information on a Ann Musto that would be elmira NY in 1973.thanks

Offline Barrel browner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I have only just started looking into my fathers family by the name of Stevens, they were gypsie travellers/Hawkers, I do not have loads of info, I know they were well known around longwell Green Bristol, Mark Stevens, Nelson Stevens are two names I have, I do have more names but I will have to dig that out and add it, if it rings any bells with anyone please get in touch.

Offline Blackhat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I have only just started looking into my fathers family by the name of Stevens, they were gypsie travellers/Hawkers, I do not have loads of info, I know they were well known around longwell Green Bristol, Mark Stevens, Nelson Stevens are two names I have, I do have more names but I will have to dig that out and add it, if it rings any bells with anyone please get in touch.

I'm trying to find more about my family, and am stuck. My Grandad on mums side is called Nelson Stevens, born in Bristol. Do you think this could be the same person? I am not in contact with that side of my family, so 'above' my mum, only know his name, and the woman he married..which is obviously making it hard to find out more!

I know he used to be a boxer, and on that side of the family boxing seems to be a thing, from stories I was told when I was younger.

Offline Barrel browner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 February 19 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Blackhat,
I have bits and pieces and I will have to dig out the info, Nelson Stevens was my dads father and they were in the Bristol area if my memory serves me right Nelsons Father was called Mark Stevens there were four brothers Mathew, Mark, Luke and John.   Nelson married Hazel Welburn who after separating from Nelson married William ( Bill Lea ).  I am not sure how much time Nelson spent in Bristol as it was war time and my dad was born in Tadcaster castle I think Hazel was originally from Yorkshire / Leeds.  does that ring any bells it would bee great if we could find a link, I know Nelsons family were Romany gypsies I recall meeting some when I was very young.  regards Paul

Offline Barrel browner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 February 19 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I forgot to say that yes they were boxers, what do you have on your mums side ?

Offline Blackhat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 February 19 10:34 GMT (UK) »
All I know for sure is that my grandad on my mums side was called Nelson Stevens, and he married Christine Booty. I am told he has (a few?) brothers (none of which I've met), one apparently called Leslie(sp) who has/had a boxing club.

Some quotes from my aunt: 'His side of the family had money from working hard doing whatever they could to make a living, From growing and selling Christmas trees to scrap metal and boxing.' Also: 'All the boys have to learn how to box as soon as they start walking. Most of them keep up with it into their adult life. Your Grandad did not box in his adult life unlike his brothers.'

My mum herself has plenty of siblings too.

From my extremely basic searching, I *think* Nelsons Mums name was Ellen Rosina Stone, and possibly his father called Sidney/Sydney Stevens, both of whom were born in Devon. I could have this completely wrong for all I know though.

EDIT: As per the above, his mothers maiden name could also be Musty or Dowe. I actually think this may be more likely, as the birth year ties a little better, and is still in Bristol.

As I said, all I know for sure is my grandparents names and that I've been told my grandad is from 'a Romany gypsy family'. It's so hard finding information when you know so little to start with!

Offline Blackhat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 February 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »
What I forgot to say was, he was married to my Grandmother in the 60's but easily could have been married before, as I know I have a family way bigger than I can comprehend, ha!

Offline Barrel browner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 February 19 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Looks like we could be related I just got this message from my aunt.

Leslie Les Stevens was a heavyweight boxer, they used to call his dad bluey ( my dad said this was because he was always pinching lead and that is a gypsie term for it, I could be wrong ) she thinks he was my dads uncle Nelson would have been my grandfather.