Author Topic: Hart family of Magherashanvalley, Donaghmore, Co. Donegal  (Read 13301 times)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hart family of Magherashanvalley, Donaghmore, Co. Donegal
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal

Samuel Hart mention parish of Donaghmore

Offline ZiggyZipgun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 12:41 BST (UK) »
Rathmore, which page is he mentioned on?

I've never found anywhere to search online for documents that survived the Four Courts bombing, but the LDS' FamilySearch site states that: "Many records were destroyed but not as much as commonly thought.  Most probate documents were lost but these losses can be worked around. Only some church records were burned.  Many were still with the local church and not at the Four Courts building at the time of the fire."  This gives me enough of a glimmer of hope to make an effort to find it, but I don't know where to begin.

About the Civil Ejectments:  The Landlord had a choice of proceedures when he wanted to eject a tenant: if he wished to eject for non-payment, the tenant was served with a process stating the amount of rent and costs due; if he wanted to get rid of a tenant who was not in arrears, he had to give six months notice to quit, followed by a process for overholding. Both processes summoned the tenant to appear in court to show why he had not paid his rent, or given up the holding. The difference between them however, was important:  the ejectment for non-payment could be stopped by the tenant paying his arrears and costs; the ejectment for overholding could be stopped only if the landlord gave up the case or the tenant got out.
(Source: Landlords and tenants in mid-Victorian Ireland, by William Edward Vaughan)
Naturally, I'd like to think that my ancestors weren't kicked out for not paying their rent, but since they're not listed earlier for non-payment or a specific amount due, I'm further led to believe that they weren't in arrears.  This would particularly be a kick in the pants for them if they'd previously left Scotland for the same reason, during the Highland Clearances - but I'll have to find some more documents before I can jump to either conclusion.  

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
unrelated to previous post but I think I see 2 more references to the family,  you may already be aware of them but in case not:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/1822castlefinschool.htm

Looks like the Hart family examination results from 1822 Castlefin school, I think the F. Hart may be a transcription error may be S for Samuel, if this is the family, initials seem to fit,  again it would be unusual for the time period for a poor family to be receiving an education, this may support my earlier assumption about the families status at this time.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/ActOfUnion1800b.htm

Thomas Hart appears in the list of supporters of the Union in 1800

I also just read your original post again the Thomas Hart who left the Will in 1815 would seem to be the key, if the Will survived, the Jewish connection seems strange for the area however, but you never know!

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline ZiggyZipgun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
I have seen both of those records, just last week - which is slow progress considering I found Samuel's marriage record two years ago.  The "F. Hart" is a mystery to me, since that doesn't ring any bells, but I don't know if that could be a transcription error since it was taken from a newspaper (must've been a slow week in the news) and they appear three times.  I also don't understand why the specify that "F. Hart" was from Magherashanvalley, and not the others...are they implying that the others are also from there, or that they're not? 

Also, a James Hart appears in Castlefinn on the Griffith's 1857 Valuation, years after my family had settled in New York; I'd love to find descendants of his. 

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 07:35 BST (UK) »
Going back to the mid 1820's I can see 6 baptisms from Donaghmore Church of Ireland (St. Patrick's)
the fathers would have been contempories of your Samuel, probably related, baptism records for the church go back to 1818, there burial register dates to 1825.

Father                          Child

Joseph Hart                 Margaret Hart 1825
                                    Elizabeth Hart 1827

Sam/Samuel Hart         John Hart        1824
                                    William Hart     1827

Thomas Hart                Elizabeth Hart  1827

James Hart                  Eliza Jane Hart  1828

There were no more Harts baptised in the church after 1828, which would make me think the families left the area shortly after this date. There seem to quite a few old gravestones in the church yard, i'm unsure if these have ever been surveyed, don't see any links online .

Regards

Joe

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 11:42 BST (UK) »
if you go through the address I have given you, once you are in the Donegal Rescoures site, first page go down to the little box that says search, type in box - Harts of Donaghmore parish

Samuel and John mentioned at Magherashanvalley

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 11:59 BST (UK) »
or you can go on the site I mentioned and go down the page and click on Donaghmore
Magherashanvalley is mentioned on the Twin Valley site - http://www.finnvalley.ie (you might have to type this yourself)

Offline ZiggyZipgun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 14:29 BST (UK) »
I see a Thomas Hart listed in the town of Ballibogan on the 1665 Hearth Money Roll; anyone happen to know how far Ballibogan is from Castlefinn or Magherashanvalley, and is there any other mention of Harts in Ballibogan?  There is a Joseph Hart, b.1795, that turns up on the New York census living with Samuel's son, Joseph, which is somewhat puzzling, since there were a lot of wealthy Harts in and around that area, but none of them are related to us. 

Joe, you've got a real knack for finding relevant information.  Where did you find the 1777 marriage record for Thomas?  I guess I'm just curious about your usual search methods, since I'm across the pond, and the only way I find out about a good public records site is if it's one that does a lot of advertising - and that typically limits it to the profit-driven, shamrock-and-leprechaun sites. 

The birth/baptism records for Sam/Samuel don't match up with any of my 4th-great-grandfather's children, but I may have seen another reference to Joseph, father of Margaret and Elizabeth: a ship ironically named Dispatch sank in 1828 while en route to Quebec - where nearly all steamers stopped before arriving in New York - and the Strabane Morning Post published the names of the survivors, including a Joseph Hart and his wife Mary, their son Thomas, and their daughters, Margaret and Eliza; the lost two sons, whose names were not given.  It seems the survivors were then put on the HMS Tyne, but I haven't yet found the passenger list for that. 

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tyrone/emigration/brig-dispatch.html

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, Balibogan townland is an alternative spelling of Ballybogan townland it is situated in the Parish of Conleigh which is adjacent to Donaghmore, Magherashanvalley townland borders the 2 parishes the 2 townlands are about 3 miles apart, see screenshot from google maps

Interesting article mentioning a John Hart in 1637 from the Finn Valley site that rathmore supplied

http://www.finnvalley.ie/people/maryagneselliott/scots.html

Regards

Joe

Image removed