Author Topic: Newport Newspaper Archives  (Read 10170 times)

Offline gower

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newport Newspaper Archives
« on: Monday 12 September 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is an online search facility for the newport newspaper. i am looking for information c 1915-1920....thanks

Offline dragongirl

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newport Newspaper Archives
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
The southwales Argus has archives but not sure how far back.
Newport Libary had lots of records of all sorts that you could search,not sure if online though
 Maybe if you wrote to the Libary or South Wales argus Newspaper they could tell you what you want to know

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 11 21:16 BST (UK) »
There's no online archive for the South Wales Argus and even they don't have one.
There are copies available on micro film and some of the later original editions are able to be viewed although the newspapers before 1918 are not because of their condition at the Newport Reference Library.
Also there are other newspapers available on micro film such as the Pontypool Free Press.
What are interested in Gower?
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 September 11 08:18 BST (UK) »
Gower,I'll be visiting Newport Reference Library a couple of times this week and will try to book a reader,so if there is anything I can look up for you,let me know.

Steve
Census Information Crown

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 September 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hijack the thread but if you've time to look up the sinking of the "Tredegar" on 03/12/1863 or the finding of the captain's body c. 10/04/1864 I'd much appreciate it. An obituary with details of the place of burial would be amazing!!!
Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 September 11 08:37 BST (UK) »
Peter, I will have a look sometime next week for you.

Steve
Census Information Crown

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 September 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks  :D

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 12:42 BST (UK) »
Peter,found these two articles.

The Monmouthshire Merlin and South Wales Advertiser
December 12th 1863  page 5

The Late Gale
Among the disasters occasioned by the late gale was the loss of the Newport and Bristol trader the "Tredegar", 60 ton register,belonging to Mr Speary,of this town.Captain Siner,the Tredegar left Newport for Bristol last week with a cargo of coals,and when off Clevedon she was capsized by a sudden gust of wind,and went down,the captain who was in the cabin at the time,and two other men,being drowned.
     One man laid hold of a plank and escaped safely to shore.Captain Siner was an old inhabitant of the town,having been at his station for eighteen years.The bodies have not been recovered.

Monmouthshire Merlin and Advertiser April 16th 1864  page 5

Recovery of the body of Captain Syner of Newport - On Sunday the body of the unfortunate Captain Syner of this town,was picked up in Walton Bay below Portishead,by three men named Rowland Hill,Richard Porter and Henry Bennett - Deceased,as will be known to our readers,was for many years master of the sloop Tredegar,trading between Bristol and Newport,which was lost in the channel during the fearful gale which prevailed on 2nd and 3rd of December last.Captain Syner and the crew[with one exception] went down with the ill fated vessel.An inquest was held at the Bear and Ragged Staff,Bristol,before Mr Grindon,coroner on Tuesday when[says Bristol Daily Post] the only survior of the crew was not present,owing to his being at sea with another Newport vessel Fanny,but John Syner a youth son of the deceased,identified the body and said his father was about fifty years of age.One Thursday morning December last,his boat the Tredegar was coming up the channel before the wind,and when near Clevedon went down with all hands,only one of the crew being saved.It was an early hour in the morning and his father had just left the helm to go into the cabin,giving the helm into the hands of one of the men.It was supposed that the man put the tiler the wrong way and a sudden squall coming on the vessel was turned over.The man who was saved came to Bristol and immediately telegraphed to the friends of the men at Newport.Three lives were lost by the accident but one body[that of the captain] had been found - Rowland Hall mariner 22, Orchard - square, said he went down river on Sunday last in a boat with two companions,and in the evening,about half past six they found the body of the deceased floating near Walton Bay below Portishead.They put a rope around it and brought it to Bristol,where it was ultimately taken to St Peters Bristol.It was quite naked - The jury returned a verdict to the affect that " deceased was accidently drowned by stranding of vessel near Clevedon".
     It was stated that the mast of the vessel is still to be seen near the spot where she went down.We learn [ since foregoing was in type] that subsequently of  Captains Syner's elder son seeing the the body said it was not that of his father,and ultimately it was identified as that of Henry Banks one of the crew of the Tredegar.

Steve

Census Information Crown

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 19:00 BST (UK) »
This is interesting as I have the newspaper articles from Bristol and Clevedon which are largely the same although this adds a few extra bits of information. According to the Bristol papers the inquest was at St. Peter's Hospital. The last sentence is interesting as a death certificate was issued in April 1864. It may explain why I have not been able to find a burial if the identification was later changed.

Thank you Steve.