Author Topic: Bothwell Lunatic Assylum  (Read 13796 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Bothwell Lunatic Assylum
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 November 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Some general info....not all in-patients in the asylums had mental issues:

http://www.bobbysimpson.org.uk/HARTWOOD_PAGE_2.htm

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline harden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 November 11 12:58 GMT (UK) »
I worked at Kirklands for two years in the 1960's as a secretary.  At that time a number of the patients came fromj a children's hospital in Lesmahagow - when they reached 18 )I think) they were then transferred to Bothwell.  I remember the main psychiatrist at that time was Dr Ligertwood, who also ran clinics for people referred to him.  There was a lot of emphasis on occupational therapy and a thriving garden which supplied veg and plants to the hospital.
Livingstone, Tuton Ayrshire - McEwan, Parlan(e) Stirlingshire, - Scott Lanarkshire, - Galloway Ayrshire,

Offline Haughs Keeper

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 20:19 GMT (UK) »
this is a picture of Fallside Road. It has relevant info regarding Kirklands - Longdale Mental Asylum

Offline Urbanfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 January 15 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this photo.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 June 15 22:59 BST (UK) »
I used to live near there, but unfortunately have no pics.  Have you tried googling Kirklands Hospital, there's a few write-ups, but no pics.  There is a contact for the university archives you could try them to see if they have any photos.
Good Luck
    There are some pics on various sites now.    The archivist is also very helpful.  I emailed asking for a search and had an immediate reply with dates of admission and recovery in 1883/1884.
     I then took a look around the Net to get some idea of what it was like and reasons why some were admitted.     From the photos and remarks in this page - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3131630/Harrowing-portraits-Victorian-lunatic-asylum.html it does seem that there were many cases of post maternity depression.    In the case I was researching this trauma was added to by the loss of her husband only 5 months after giving birth leaving her completely on her own - before returning to Scotland and then being placed at Kirklands.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Stairheedrammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 June 15 09:56 BST (UK) »
Kirklands hospital is still there, albeit a modern version. I was at a meeting there last month.
Gillespie- Glasgow
Hutton- Glasgow
Lynch- St Johnstown and Derry
Bradley- Derry

Offline Brido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 February 16 15:53 GMT (UK) »
 :) I traced a number of photographs taken of the hospital, the board of governors and of Rowans Gardens / Kirklands Cottages on Whitley's Loan / Fallside Road. They were transferred to the Mitchell Library (archives section) by NHS Lanarkshire.

On application to the archivists you can see them - by appointment - and photograph them, (without tripod or flash etc).

The Kirklands hospital was built opposite its predecessor, Langdale Lunatic Asylum and was linked to a lunatic asylum in Cleland near Carfin (Omoa Road) which in turn had been a poorhouse - which posed a source of fear to those living hand to mouth in the area for so many years.