Author Topic: The Racehorse Inn, Widemarsh St, Hereford  (Read 19822 times)

Offline z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: The Racehorse Inn, Widemarsh St, Hereford
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 September 11 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I would suggest it is HOLMER Road, which is in Hereford - probably poor writing by the census enumerator?
The snooper

Think you could be right ;D

1871 RG10 2696 11 15 - Civil Parish All Saints - Address 6 Holmer Rd Racehorse Inn

George Powell Head mar 33 Hereford - Publican
? Powell wife 26 Hereford
Elizabeth Purser/Purner unmar 21 Hereford - Servant domestic

Regards

Z :)

Offline Hereford Glynis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 September 11 11:34 BST (UK) »
Ahh, bless you all. that's the chappie I am after. thank you all so much. He is my great grandfather. I found his grave at Hereford cemetrey this week, and on the stone it said late of Widemarsh St, so I presumed the pub was there. I am fairly new at this, so forgive me if i am slow in responding! Appreciate all your help x

Offline RedMike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 September 11 13:08 BST (UK) »
The Racehorse Inn was my local when I was a lad & I was a regular visitor, at least 5 nights a week (in the late 70's).
The landlord was Richard, cant remember his wifes name but she a lovely blonde lady. My mind has gone blank now as I cant remember their surname either.

It is in Widemarst Street.

It changed from a pub to a steak house & was renamed "The Entertainer" (?) then it was taken over by a guy named Karl, hence the current name of "Karlos".

It closed down a while ago.

It was a large well appointed pub on two stories with bar, lounge, pool room and a large function room upstairs. Towards the end of its life it become a drinking pub for the younger generation and I doubt that it will ever return to its former glory.

My mum & dad had their after wedding reception there and returned 50 years later for their golden wedding anniversary party.  :)

My Line
Preece - Herefordshire.
Adams - Herefordshire.
Jenkins - Herefordshire South/ Ross On Wye.
Norman -Herefordshire.
Hall - Llanelly (Abergavenny).

My wife's line
George - Herefordshire & Denbighshire
Howells - Pandy (Abergavenny)
Ruck - Llangattock lingoed & Llantillio Crossenny (Abergavenny East)
Williams - Orcop Herefordshire
Meadmore - Orcop Herefordshire.

And of course  anyone marrying into the above,

Offline Hereford Glynis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 September 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the information so now i am really confused as according to Z it is/was on Holmer St in 1871 as that's where he has tracked my GGrandfather too with the census. Do you think the roads have just changed? Has Holmer St become part of Widemarsh St over the years? I came to Hereford on Monday & Tuesday to do some family history & had some success, my husband & I walked up & down Widemarsh St to see if we could gather any info, but no luck. I live in Buckinghamshire so it's not like I can just go there, although we do plan to go again if we gather enough info. I am also researching Allsop & Baynham there. I know Allsop/Powell owned a number of properties in Church St too, well numbers 13, 16, 17, 29 & 30. It gets very complicated dosen't it!? I thought my GG'father had only been married twice but now it seems there may be a 3rd! LOL I think my GG'mother was a bit of a game girl too! ;) I just love it, so addictive, I don't know how i'll manage when i go back to work next week! Thank you xx

Offline RedMike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 September 11 18:47 BST (UK) »
Widemarsh Street & Holmer Street are about a mile apart. In fact Holmer Street is not in the area of "Holmer" its in the "Whitecross" area. 

Holmer road is less than 0.5 mile from Widemarsh street & is a natural route linked by Newtown road.
Only thing I can think off is that back then, Holmer Road extended into Widemarsh street but at a later date it Holmer Road was shortened and Newtown road (as a name) was added, maybe when Edgar Street was built ????
My Line
Preece - Herefordshire.
Adams - Herefordshire.
Jenkins - Herefordshire South/ Ross On Wye.
Norman -Herefordshire.
Hall - Llanelly (Abergavenny).

My wife's line
George - Herefordshire & Denbighshire
Howells - Pandy (Abergavenny)
Ruck - Llangattock lingoed & Llantillio Crossenny (Abergavenny East)
Williams - Orcop Herefordshire
Meadmore - Orcop Herefordshire.

And of course  anyone marrying into the above,

Offline Jean D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
to Hereford Glynis.

I would be interested to know the name of your ancestor who was the publican at the Racehorse Inn, Hereford, in the mid-1800s.

I have acopy of the book The Pubs of Hereford City - by Shoesmith & Eisel. Naturally, there is a brief note on the Rachehorse Inn.  When I hear of additional information, I like to write it into my copy of the book.

Jean D

Offline Hereford Glynis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

My ancesters name was George Powell & he was there in 1871

Thank you

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 September 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
                     I have just come across a picture of 'The Race Horse Inn' in a book "Hereford then and now vol.3" by Derek Foxton.  Captioned as being in Newtown Road but indexed under Widemarsh Street it was taken about 1914.  it was demolished in 1938 and replaced by the one mentioned by others as Karlos, originally called the Hereford Bull. It is on the junction of the two roads as they are today.

Both censuses refer to the parish of all saints, my old maps are very variable as to road names but show parish boundaries, this location is clearly within all saints parish and roughly where you might expect the turnpike toll gate to be, these gates were abolished in 1870

I think the two census entries are of the same place and this photo is the pub you are looking for, but I have been known to be wrong ;D ;D ;D

Published 1997 by Derek Foxton publishing. ISBN 0 9514081 3 5,  your local library may be able to borrow a copy for you to see,

regards  Mike

Added, its not that interesting jut a plain frontage with an archway  saying Good Stabling so it was a coaching inn

Offline Hereford Glynis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 September 11 18:27 BST (UK) »
Cheers Mike,
I'll take a look, thank you for your help
Glynis x ;)