Author Topic: Completed - look up please - marriage in Tasmania  (Read 13548 times)

Offline dolldoc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - look up please - marriage in Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 July 13 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
As  George  Frederick  William  Hill  remarried  in  1928  quite  legally  Mabel  and  George  must  have  been  divorced.

This  is  the  first  time  I  have  used  roots  chat,  I  hope  that  I  haven't  done  anything  incorrectly.

My  family  is  related  to  George  Hill. 

Regards

Gwenda  Spencer.  Vic.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 July 13 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwenda,

I have been unable to find any record of a divorce for Mabel and George and as Mabel does not appear to have married either of her subsequent "partners " think that they never did divorce. Maybe George felt that as Mabel was now in Tassie that he was free to remarry without anyone knowing he wasn't divorced, certainly that was common at the time.

Regards, Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline dolldoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 July 13 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi  Jo,
I  have  recently  connected  with  a  family  member  of  George  Hill's  brother,  Walter  and  his  wife  Mabel.  I  will  ask  her  what  she  has  to  say  about  the  marriage  and  subsequent  happenings  and  let  you  know  when  I  hear  back  from  her.

Regards

Gwenda

Offline dolldoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 July 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi  Jo,
My  contacts  had  no  idea  that  George  had  a  previous  wife,  before  their  mother  Elsie  Irene  Sloan,  until  about  ten  years  ago.  They  have  next  to  nothing.

Have  to  do  some  more  searching  and  more  emails.

Sorry,

Gwenda.

Offline dionne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 July 13 13:10 BST (UK) »
mabel was my great aunt she was born 1894 in tenterfield,her parents were peter &agnes woodbry of muswellbrook.According to my searches she had two daughters with george Mary 1914 &Aileen elizabeth 1915 i have a photo of mabel with two young girls.Her funeral notice in the muswellbrook chronicle says she was survived by her husband four daughters and two sons

Offline dolldoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 July 13 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi  Dionne,
You  are  one  up  on  me,  as  I  don't  have  any  photos  of  Mabel,  I  think  somewhere  I  may  have  some  of  George.  He  is  my  first  cousin  twice  removed.  What  I  am  trying  to  find  out is: 
(i)  Did  Mabel  take  Mary  and  Aileen  with  her  when  she  moved  to  Tassie?
(ii)  Was  Mabel  divorced  from  George  and  did  she  marry  Alexander,  and  did  she           marry  John  Kingshott?
George  married  Elsie  Irene  Sloan  in  1928  in  Lithgow,  NSW.  I  have  this  side  of  the  family  pretty  well  sorted  out.  Love  to  hear  your  views  on  the  above.

Bye  for  now,

Gwenda

Offline dionne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 July 13 01:34 BST (UK) »
hi gwenda, still searching i assume she did take her daughters with her,my aunt has told me that in those days alot of things were kept secret or weren't talked about haven't found anything on alex or john just her funeral notice that said she was survived by her husband whether that was true i dont know.looked up kenneth in army records it said he was born 1918 not 1920,will keep searching it has me intriged now

Offline dionne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 November 13 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Have been looking up old newspapers i have found no marriages for Mabel with either Alex or John in the death notice for Mabel John says his loving wife.  The children Mary,Aileen Kenneth,Jean and Don all have the surname Alexander one more daughter Lorraine Kingshott.Mary married a G. Clark,Aileen married Colin Midson,Jean is Mrs Wilton,Donald married Eunice Lyall,Kenneth i already know who he married but nothing as yet on Lorraine.Not sure if Mary and Aileen were children from Mabel first marriage or whether Alex was their father or used Alex's surname.

Offline dionne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 02:25 BST (UK) »
Have been looking up old newspapers i have found no marriages for Mabel with either Alex or John in the death notice for Mabel John says his loving wife.  The children Mary,Aileen Kenneth,Jean and Don all have the surname Alexander one more daughter Lorraine Kingshott.Mary married a G. Clark,Aileen married Colin Midson,Jean is Mrs Wilton,Donald married Eunice Lyall,Kenneth i already know who he married but nothing as yet on Lorraine.Not sure if Mary and Aileen were children from Mabel first marriage or whether Alex was their father or used Alex's surname.