Author Topic: MORGAN - Capel Y Babell, Cwmbwrla  (Read 17161 times)

Offline greenday235

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MORGAN - Capel Y Babell, Cwmbwrla
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 September 11 15:41 BST (UK) »
babell cahapel demolished after 1946, dangerous to navigate alone due to vast invasive japanese knotweed.
original burial register available at SCC Archives. cemetery subject to two attemps of purchase by housing.
Email address not working.

Offline greenday235

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 September 11 16:06 BST (UK) »
 Capel Babell affected by fly tipping, vandalism and stone desecration.
unprotected and open to abuse, a high priority for housing associations to purchase, and numerous attempts so far resisted. >:(
no doubt will be sold in time and graves exhumed. :'(
Email address not working.

Offline hwntw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 March 13 06:46 GMT (UK) »
I've just found this site by googling Lilian Morgan Cwmbwrla.  Why did I do this ?  Because by chance, I heard on the BBC news this morning on Radio 4 at 05:30 a.m. just as I was waking up, that a 'Princess Lilian' of Sweden, born in Swansea in 1915 has just died.  I've now come to the conclusion that this would be a false trail to investigate the Lilian that you are interested in, as Princess Lilian's maiden name was Davies (found on another website).

However, Lilian Morgan is of great interest to me, as she was the sister of my mother Rachel Mary ('Rae') Morgan (who had a beautiful contralto voice and used to win eisteddfodau galore) and her 2 brothers, ie my uncles  Ben and Gwyn.  Rae, Ben and Gwyn were not buried in Babell - because by the time of their deaths, Babell had been demolished. Gwyn died in 1986 and my mother, rae, died in late December 2001.  I was born in 1950 in Abergavenny, but was christened in Babell Chapel at about 6 months old. I still have the certificate (all in Welsh), somewhere in my files.

I know a little about Lilian because Gwyn's 2 twin daughters (my cousins) are alive and I am in regular touch with them and visit at least once per year.   Lilian apparently had a beautiful singing voice and was always singing.  She died of an illness.  This is all I know about her, but when I phone my cousin tonight, I shall try to find out more about her.  The next time I go to Swansea, I shall endeavour to visit the old Babell graveyard to see if I can find something.  I know that her parents (my late maternal grandparents, Isaac and Elisabeth Morgan) were buried there.  Isaac spent his last few years in my home near Abergavenny with my mother, father and myself (I am an only child) and Isaac died in 1956.  His wife Elisabeth died (I think) in 1949 - not that long before I was born in 1950.

Offline bickleton56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 June 13 15:35 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching a WILLIAM MORGAN buried    Nov 13th 1901.His wife was Elizabeth Morgan (nee PADLEY)
They were my Gt Grandparents
Anyone else researching these two PLEASE contact me...I do have other details re births/marriage etc that I am very happy to share.
I am GRAHAM PROSSER

Many thanks,
Graham.

Offline spadge1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 April 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just came across this forum and was wondering if anyone can help locate the grave of my great grandfather, Benjamin Thomas, who is buried at the cemetery. Benjamin died on the 8th March 1904 in a mining accident at the Gendros colliery aged 34.

Thanks in advance.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Spadge1964

Following a phone call to West Glamorgan Archive Service, webpage at Swansea Civic Centre it would appear that they have a document that might be of interest to you.

If you live within reasonable travelling distance of Swansea, I'll leave you to make your own arrangements to visit the Civic Centre, but you must read this page before you set out.  If you live 'away', I can visit the archive service and request the document be brought out from store and search for the location you require.  However, I know not when I shall next be near the Civic Centre.

However if your intention is to visit the actual burial ground, you might be interested in the following links:
1) an aerial view of the site, the former chapel was to the western boundary of the site. click here
2) A ground level view from 'Carmarthen Road': click here
3) A ground level view from Middle road: click here

I drive past this location from time to time and can if required comment on the visible state of the burial ground in due course.

JohnG_Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline spadge1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 May 17 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback and offer of help. I live in Hong Kong so would really appreciate you taking a look at the documents whenever you get a chance. Thanks again.

Regards,
Richard.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 May 17 18:50 BST (UK) »
Richard,

This morning (Sunday) I unexpectedly found myself within a reasonable distance of the Civic Centre, with some spare time available.  So knowing that the West Glamorgan Archives only work Monday to Friday, I called instead, into the Civic Centre branch of the library service and had a quick look at their local Newspaper Archive and found the following news item in the "South Wales Daily Post, Tuesday, March 8, 1904"
FATAL ACCIDENT AT
FFORESTFACH
------
COLLIER KILLED BY A FALL AT
GENDROS PIT
Fforestfach,  on  Tuesday afternoon.   A fall
took   place,    Benjamin   Thomas,   collier,
Carmarthen Road, Fforestfach,  was killed on
the spot.  Thomas  who  was 35 years of age,
leaves  a  widow  and  three  young  children.
   Deceased recently acted as overman during
the  absence  of  the overman with  a  broken
leg.   On Monday  night  he  took part  in  the
voting for the election of Parish Councillor.
    Only   twelve   months   ago   last   August
Thomas's  brother  lost  his  life  in  the  same
colliery.
===============

I trust that although you didn't specifically ask for a newspaper search, that you find the above to be of interest.

Needless to say, I shall be returning to the Civic Centre as soon as is practical to complete the original commitment.

JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 08:42 BST (UK) »
Richard,

Following communication with the webmaster of 'Fforestfach History' I have been provided with a link to an earlier newspaper item, this time concerning the un-named brother mentioned in my earlier reply #16 of 7th, May.

Please visit:  http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3346454/3346459/81/Gendros

The link leads to what looks to me like a bit of muddled newspaper editing, firstly six lines about Joseph Thomas' original colliery accident, followed without a break by eight lines about a children's choir, then follows a column break and next a report of the Coroner's Inquest into Joseph Thomas' accident.

JohnG_Swansea