Author Topic: advice on tracing family.  (Read 4140 times)

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
advice on tracing family.
« on: Thursday 15 September 11 22:17 BST (UK) »
I know my GGGrandparents date of Marriage 1834 in Antrim- Roman Catholic. I know they had at least two Sons born 1844 and 1845 but I am sure there were other children. How do I start looking for the names etc of the other children - born between 1834 and 1864
I have tried Familysearch etc.

Peter Hart

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: advice on tracing family.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
Do you know which parish in Co. Antrim they were born in ?

Once you establish that you can check to see what dates are available, and then check where the records might be available. Many parish records for Northern Ireland are held in the PRONI

Most of the Irish records on FamilySearch are Civil records, so just a little too late, since birth registrations only started in 1864.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
Is this connected to the previous Hart query ?

Arthur Hart - Birth lookup

RC records for the parish of Antrim only go back to 1874, when the RC parish was established. It seems that previously most of the area was included in the older parish of Drumaul, based in Randalstown.  The records for this parish go back to the mid 1820s for baptisms, and 1835 for marriages. There are a number of gaps in these registers.

See the resource links in the other thread for the locations of these records in the PRONI or the National Library of Ireland, Dublin - generally on microfilm. The Ulster History Foundation pay-website includes transcripts of many RC records (I dont see a full list of sources) and allows a basic search without charge - see : Ancestry Ireland search

I had a quick search but I'm not seeing any matches using the parents names you mentioned..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 11 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
if you give the details of your gggrandparents (names would be helpful), someone may be able to help
jim
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 September 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
if you give the details of your gggrandparents (names would be helpful), someone may be able to help
jim
Parents were Patrick Hart and Sarah Hart m/s Clarke. They were married 1834. He was born 1844 in Antrim - not sure of the townland. I have found his brother Henry born 1834

Thanks

Peter Hart

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 September 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Familysearch have a lot of Hart s in County Antrim

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0f43/

Moderator Comment: URL modified, as it was 'stretching' the screen

Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 September 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
I have tried various Databases during my search with no positive outcome. His two brothers are listed -Thomas born 1845 and Henry (1834) - (cant find Marriage or death for them in these databases).
My Father once told me that he had Twin uncles who lived to be 104yrs old and they died with two weeks of each other. He also told me that at least one of his uncles worked for a rose grower outside Antrim Town. In the 1901 and 1911 census there is a James Hart listed. He is 78yrs in 1911 and works as a Nurserymans labourer. I cannot link him to my family.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can access the databases online - but cannot get to PRONI

Peter Hart

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 September 11 20:57 BST (UK) »
I have tried various Databases during my search with no positive outcome. His two brothers are listed -Thomas born 1845 and Henry (1834)

which parish(es) and place of residences are given on these baptisms ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 September 11 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi - Henry is shown as been born and Baptised  in Dunsilly, Randalstown on 9th Nov. 1834. Thomas was born 1845 in Antrim - do not have a Parish for him.
My GGGrandfather (Arthur) was born 1844 in Antrim. Do not know the Parish.
Seems a while between 1st child and subsequent children, which makes me wonder if there were children in between that I have not found

Peter Hart