Author Topic: John Edward Butterfield  (Read 3144 times)

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Edward Butterfield
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 September 11 11:52 BST (UK) »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_(East_Norfolk)_Regiment_of_Foot

9th Regiment of Foot became The Norfolk Regiment eventually

If you open up the NA catalogue for WO12/2732
Then click on the "viewing and ordering" info you should be taken to a link where you can order the documents..unsure on cost or timeline though.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline DCS

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Edward Butterfield
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 June 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
Message for Lonedogmedicinewoman

John Edward Butterfield is on my family tree and I found this thread fascinating.  I have an interest in both his sisters Jane and Sarah.  Do you know anything about them?  They both married a Lambert and I am interested in Jane's son Joseph Augustus Lambert who emigrated to Australia with his parents in 1848.  I have a puzzle.  Joseph married twice but had 9 children with his mistress Jane Sutton.  He didn't marry her until his second wife died.  In those days it would have been so hard for Jane to bring up 9 children as a single woman and be a mistress too (the family all knew about her).  Why didn't he marry her when he had the chance after his first wife died?

John Edward Butterfield  (1840 – 1910)     
Born 1840 in Sulford, (?) UK
Parents: Joseph Butterfield & Sarah Hodgin
Married  1864 Corfu  age 24 was a Sergeant 2 Batt. 9 Reg Corfu
Said to have served in Queen Victoria's Army in the Boer and Crimean War also beginning of Boxer Rebellion in China
Arrived in 1869 Australia  - Died 1910 Australia
Speller (Thaxted, Prittlewell, West Ham), Thompson (East Peckham, Romford), Wright (Gt Marlow, Romford, Dagenham, Queensland Australia), Cutler (Herts), Channer (High Wycombe), Baker (Romford, Ilford, Stratford)