Author Topic: Edith May CROOK (born WYATT) - COMPLETED  (Read 6497 times)

Offline jenster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edith May CROOK (born WYATT) - COMPLETED
« on: Friday 16 September 11 03:30 BST (UK) »
Trying to locate a death certificate or date of death for Edith May CROOK (born WYATT, formerly CRONIN)

Edith was born 26 August 1885 in Spring Hill, Queensland, Australia.
Edith married William Francis CRONIN 6 December 1905 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia - later divorced.
Edith married Robert James CROOK 30 October 1916 in Moore Park, New South Wales, Australia.

The last confirmed official entry for Edith is the New South Wales Electoral Roll for 1937.

Edith's second husband, Robert James CROOK,  remarried in Sweden c1943, but I have been unable to obtain any records from Sweden to confirm if Edith and Robert divorced or if Robert was a widower at the time of his second marriage to Dawn Paulene Lillian SEABOURNN (surname also spelled as SEABURN).
Robert's death certificate does not mention his first marriage or his children from that marriage.

Bulmer, Caller, Hanson, Wyatt

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Edith May CROOK (born WYATT)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 September 11 04:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat :)

There is an Edith May Crook who died in 1943 in Sydney on NSW BDM.    Father is Thomas Ray and mother is Edith Mary

Edit to add reg No 141/1943
regards,
   Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline jenster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 11 04:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ros, I have a copy of that death certificate and it is a different Edith May Crook.
Regards, Jenny.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 11 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to RootsChat  ;)

Some thoughts

Have you tried Trove digitised newspapers for a possible divorce mentioned in the law court reports, or for her death/funeral announcements ? http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

Were there any children from the CROOK marriage?  (It is likely that these may still be alive, so please don't list the names of any who are) .... But if there were children, and they then married in NSW, their m.c.s should include the names of their parents, including then current surnames of their mother. It is also likely that those m.c.s would note any parent who was then deceased.  The closed period for m.c.'s is fifty years, so transcripts of m.c.s before 1961 should be easily available.

Re the 1937 Electoral Roll listing.  Of itself, that does not confirm that she was still alive, nor that she was at that address, as, perhaps she had moved/changed her name, and the records had not been updated.  When was the last time you found both Edith and Robert at the same address on the Roll, and does their occupations confirm your earlier researching? 

If there were any children born to the couple, perhaps they enlisted for WWII.  The WWII roll includes the details of their nominated next of kin, perhaps Edith may have been alive at that time and had been nominated as the n o k?    http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 September 11 05:20 BST (UK) »

The electoral roll listing, 1937..what is the address please, is Robert James at the same address?

The marriage in Sweden sounds odd. How did you find that?.
What was he doing in Sweden?

".... second marriage to Dawn Paulene Lillian SEABOURNN (surname also spelled as SEABURN).
Robert's death certificate does not mention his first marriage or his children from that marriage".

Where/when did Robert and Dawn live/die.

Do you know of any children of the Wyatt/Crook marriage?

Where was Edith May divorced - QLD or NSW?.

Who are her parents, brothers/sisters. You might find mention of her in death notices for them.

There is a WW1 record for William James Crook, wife E M Crook.
Letters about replacing lost medals.
In Aug 1940 James William has address 59 Hannam St Arncliffe, next of kin is wife E M Crook, Redfern..different residences so maybe they were estranged then?.

Offline jenster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 September 11 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

Thank you for your reply.  I have tried all the avenues you suggested without success.

There were children and at the time of their marriages both parents were living.  None of the children are still living.

Re the electoral roll, there is an entry for 1943 with Robert James Crook, his second wife, as well as Edith May Crook all at the same address.  I am assuming the 1943 entry for Edith May Crook is incorrect and that her name had not been removed from the electoral roll.  With information from the children's marriage certificates and the electoral rolls, the last confirmed date for Edith still being alive is 1937.

Regards, Jenny.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 September 11 05:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

More questions  ;)

Is it likely that the 1943 roll is showing Edith living perhaps with her son and her daughter (or with her son and his wife) rather than with her former husband and his next wife?

Have you checked the NSW State Library's holdings of the electoral rolls to cover the "gap" years in those sightings? 

Is Edith recorded as deceased on the m.c. for the first of the children to marry? Sorry, I overlooked your answer, "at the time of their marriages both parents were living".

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline alison2763

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gr. Grandfather Harry KEETLEY K.I.A. 1917 France
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 September 11 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Jenny,

is this her birth ?

Name:    Edith Wyatt
Birth Date:    26 Aug 1885
Father's Name:    William Wyatt
Mother's Name:    Elizabeth Delaney
Birth Place:    Queensland
Registration Year:    1885
Registration Place:    Queensland
Page Number:    16331
Registration Number:    B034906

regards
Alison
Blundell- Sussex - Newcastle
Kiefel- Prussia- South Australia
Fiegert-Prussia- South Australia
Retford/Deptford-Hampshire- NSW
Keetley-Hathern Leicestershire-New Zealand
Other names: Collis, Williams,Courage, Andrew, Ransom, Gore.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 September 11 05:49 BST (UK) »

My correction - the WW1 record is for Robert James Crook, wife is Edith May, identified several times.

I think the marriage in Sweden detail, with no access to information about parents, is sounding suspicious.

What is the occupation of Robert James Crook m. Edith May, and Robert James Crook m. Sweden.....do you have this from any sources?

What is the address on the electoral roll please...street...suburb?