Author Topic: Welsh Poet Ann Griffiths link to preacher Owen Evans?  (Read 12831 times)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Poet Ann Griffiths link to preacher Owen Evans?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 23:03 BST (UK) »
If you don't receive any info from this Posting, I suggest that you write to E Wyn James at Cardiff University, as he may know the connection between the 2 families.

Did you contact E Wyn James at Cardiff University? He is an expert on the Welsh hymn writers and very helpful. He may be able to recommend published articles.

The reference you found to "An old friend" inviting Ann is interesting. Perhaps she married a family member, i.e. Thomas Evans

Best wishes
Morgan

Offline Raido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 17:01 BST (UK) »
If you don't receive any info from this Posting, I suggest that you write to E Wyn James at Cardiff University, as he may know the connection between the 2 families.

Did you contact E Wyn James at Cardiff University? He is an expert on the Welsh hymn writers and very helpful. He may be able to recommend published articles.

The reference you found to "An old friend" inviting Ann is interesting. Perhaps she married a family member, i.e. Thomas Evans

Best wishes
Morgan

Hi,

Many apologies that I forgot to get back to you on this thread. You were a great help. I did contact Wyn James and he gave me lots of details about the family. The poets James T Jones, John Gwilym Jones and Aled Gwyn (all brothers, the first two being former archdruids) are related to Owen Evans through his brother David.

The link between Ann Griffiths (nee Thomas) and Elizabeth Evans is purported to be through Elizabeth's mother Ann Davies (who is given as a cousin), however, it's quite difficult to prove and the likelihood is they may have been second cousins.

There's also a book called Y Tri Hyn which gives a lot of background to the family. It also contains pictures of the three ministers and their mother Elizabeth.

There's several other riddles that the book throws up, for e.g. Elizabeth's husband William Evans' father John married a Mary Price but we have no idea who her father was. The story goes that her mother Ellen Jones died after giving birth so Mary was taken to the Rhiwlas Estate to live.

Offline cennydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 20:04 BST (UK) »
Parish records you need to look at are Llanfihangel yng ngwynfa for Ann and her family and Pennant (melangell) the parish that Penybontfawr is in. A church was erected in Penybontfawr c1850/1860.
Parishes near by are Hirnant and Llangynog and to Llanfihangel Llangyniew and Meifod are adjacent

Offline cennydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 20:15 BST (UK) »
Unsure but I think the Rhiwlas estate was based at Llangedwyn

Offline cennydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thomas Evans lived in Amlwch died 1922 where he had been minister for over 45 years also has an entry in Dictionary of Welsh Biography as his other brother has an entry 1842-1914

Offline cennydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 September 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
Any clues in the published biography of the three brothers published Liverpool 1931 by Hugh Evans a'i feibion written by R O Evans called "Y tri hyn: sef y Parchedigion Owen Evans Llundain, David Evans Caerfyrddin Thomas Evans Amlwch"

One if not more of these three were born at the Ffactri Penybontfawr

Offline cennydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 September 14 14:54 BST (UK) »
David Evans Owen's brother died 1914 had a son Rev RO Evans minister at Neath at time of his father's death. Is he the author of the biography?

Offline Raido

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 November 15 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Can I just apologise that I haven't responded to your points yet. I appreciate your help, very interesting. My health hasn't been great lately sadly so I had to take some time away from family history research.