Author Topic: Dickie family - Cranslagvourarty, Bute  (Read 13514 times)

Offline Inchworm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dickie family - Cranslagvourarty, Bute
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 20:33 BST (UK) »
I have the other male members mentioned arriving in America in 1884, but it's said that they tried NZ first.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

DUNNILL - Yorkshire & Worlwide  
PETTY - Shaftesbury, Dorset
WOOLRIDGE - Shaftesbury, Dorset
NEWSOM - London, Surrey, Sussex
FROST - Staffs,Notts, Derbys,Leics,London,Somerset
ROSSITER - Somerset
ROWE - London, Hertfordshire
COLVER - Leicestershire
DICKIE - Buteshire, Ayreshire, Renfrewshire
KIRKLEY - North Yorkshire

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 September 12 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,
William Peebles Dickie & his wife Rebecca (Montgomery) lived at Cranslagvourarty, Bute. Between 1881 and c1895 they had seven children.
On the 1891 Census it lists his nephew Robert born c1880.
Is it please possible to find his birth/bapt and who his parents were?

Many thanks,
Inchworm

Heya,
I see he ended up in Wyoming, USA and died there, but using Ancestry I couldnt see a US citizen record (which would have produced more info for parents and birth place, etc). Perhaps you could approach the website butesonsanddaughters?  They have a message board, and people who can search parish records for you. I have had some good responses on there, so worth a shot.

Also in case you are interested....I have an excerpt from the book "The farmers of Bute" by William B Martin publ 1951, which describes your ancestors & their farm as follows:
"James Dickie came from Ayrshire to this farm [Cranslagvourity] in the beginning of last century. After his death his widow continued the tenancy and their son, William P., put in his lifetime here. He was of "upstanding" appearance, broadly built and once seen not readily forgotten. During his term as President of the Agricultural Society he introduced new features and made his year a notable one. He had a race of good breeding mares and was a keen breeder.  His wife was a sister of Alexander Montgomery, Auchinteerie [farm]. Their son John, who nearest attains to the stature of the old-timers of the present day farmers, is now the tenant and has been the last in the Island to keep a sour-milk cart on the road. He in his own quiet way is also a Clydesdale enthusiast and maintains the old tradition of the family well and successfully. His sisters give him able support in the conduct of the farm."

My paternal grandmother was the daughter of Daniel and Georgina. Daniel married her in 1914 and then died in 1930 at the age of 67, which puts his birth at 1863.
I have decided he is going to be easier to trace then his wife, seeing as she was born in Australia and I can't even find birth records for 2 out of 4 of her children; they aren't Daniel's children but were brought up by him.
And I have to wait till at least next year to search my grandmother's birth date on the NZ Historic BDM site as Dad is sure she was born in 1913 not 1914 and they have a 100 year restriction on searches of births. Nothing surprises me now with Georgina Shanks!!

Do you know of any tricks for searching Boer War records? I have tried NZ records and what British records I can find but can find no record of Daniel. I have tried searching the surnames of Dickie, Dickey, Dick but do realise he could have enlisted under a totally different another name.

Did you know your ancestors burial records are online? Use this link to view Daniel Dickie's burial record, as well as a picture of the headstone (courtesy of Invercargill City Council)  http://www.icc.govt.nz/ServicesA-Z/Cemeteries/CemeterySearch.aspx?CER_Surname=DICKIE&10854

Scotland: Lanark and Stirling: BARRON, LOW, RAE, BRAIDWOOD,  MILLER  
                Isle of Bute: CURRIE, BARR, SIMPSON, CRAWFORD
England: London (Hoxton/St Luke): BOOTH, FRANKLIN
               Essex: WAINWRIGHT
               Bedfordshire: DENNIS, BRAYBROOK, PEACOCK
               Sussex: TULLY, SAYERS (Surrey also)
Ireland:  (unknown region) TULLY/TULLEMORE (poss)
               Antrim: AGNEW, MONTGOMERY

Offline Inchworm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 September 12 16:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Bute Sons & Dau. sounds like a good way to ask for help to fill in some of the missing details.  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

DUNNILL - Yorkshire & Worlwide  
PETTY - Shaftesbury, Dorset
WOOLRIDGE - Shaftesbury, Dorset
NEWSOM - London, Surrey, Sussex
FROST - Staffs,Notts, Derbys,Leics,London,Somerset
ROSSITER - Somerset
ROWE - London, Hertfordshire
COLVER - Leicestershire
DICKIE - Buteshire, Ayreshire, Renfrewshire
KIRKLEY - North Yorkshire

Offline Muggan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 September 12 09:36 BST (UK) »
Did you know your ancestors burial records are online? Use this link to view Daniel Dickie's burial record, as well as a picture of the headstone (courtesy of Invercargill City Council)  http://www.icc.govt.nz/ServicesA-Z/Cemeteries/CemeterySearch.aspx?CER_Surname=DICKIE&10854

Thanks, we know a lot about his life after he married Georgina; but it is his early life on Bute and his Boer War service that my family is interested in learning more about.