Author Topic: Merchant seamens records 1918-1941  (Read 13958 times)

Offline LEE2USA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant seamens records 1918-1941
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Seaweed,
I just found two e-mails you send to me in Jan and Feb, i don't know how i managed to over looked them months ago my appaologies for that. When i tryied to respond to them yesterday the e-mail was returned undelivered, if you could e-mail me your new e-mail address I could get back to you regarding the reasearch we had talked about on James Ogilvie Renton.
I now have the postal mailing address you gave in that Jan e-mail but wanted to confirm it was still good since it has now been a few months since you sent me it. So i just wanted to confirm it before i mail anything off.
Again my appologies for missing those earlier e-mails and thanks again for all your help.
regards
Lee
lee2usa

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
mcgugan, greenock
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 May 18 16:15 BST (UK) »
hi
 sorry i missed your message on ancestry on Manasses,
i ll be only to happy to share any info i have,
on the subject of mary diver there is some confusion as to whether its is diver or devine
i have nt quite got to the bottom of it my connection to manasses 1888 is i am the grandson of his sister Mary mcgugan
 Ronnie

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: mcgugan, greenock
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 May 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
hi
 sorry i missed your message on ancestry on Manasses,
i ll be only to happy to share any info i have,
on the subject of mary diver there is some confusion as to whether its is diver or devine
i have nt quite got to the bottom of it my connection to manasses 1888 is i am the grandson of his sister Mary mcgugan
 Ronnie

Hi I have my G.G Grandmother Jessie mcGugaan who Married William Dolan 17 July 1882 Jessie was born about 1862 her parents were  Mary Golden, age 29, and William McGugan, age 21. their family as follows

George McGugan
1854–

William James McGugan
1860–1931

Jessie McGugan
1862–1940

Bridget McGugan
1863–

Katie Ann McGugan
1864–

Manasseh McGugan
1865–1913

Mary McGugan
1873–1934
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: mcgugan/dolan
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
hi
   i have daniel mary and bernard as children for william dolan and jessie mcgugan
would that be correct,
my own line on the mcgugan line goe s via william, william james, then mary,
the last manasses  i know of died 2007 in dalry, ayrshire
that took some finding as no one knew what happened to him
just recently i had the opetunity to look at a ww1 record for one of the dolans
i ll check back and find out which one

Ronnie

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant seamens records 1918-1941
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
I have Mary, Bernard, Daniel and William with William marrying Rose Rush who were my great grand parents
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
william dolan
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
hi was william born 1892/3 if so you ll find his military service records on ancestry
there is 2 williams born in greenock 1 in the argyle and sutherland highlanders service number is 1293
and the other is in the royal horse and field artillery 4942/rh&rfa regiment
service records some times makes very interesting reading a few secrets can be revealed,
by the way i m a Bell from greenock now living in gourock.

Ronnie

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Dolan
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 31 May 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi yeah William was Born around Sept 1892 and the records 1293 I believe to be his.. His Daughter Williamina (mima) was my Gran .. What is your Bell line?  William married Rose Rush daughter of James Rush and Martha Bell

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
mcgugan
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 31 May 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
hi
   yes 1293 is def Willian his army pension show his father and mother,
my bell line comes from islay my father James stewart Bell married bella miller
daughter of john miller and mary mcgugan, manasses 1888s sister,
shame i d contact you few weeks earlier i had access to williams  army pension , medal, and service records, but my subscrptions just expired,
perhaps you can access them using a free trial
some of my own familly army records revealed a few surprises,
on the subject of manasses i know one of them was blind,
and theres a story in old greenock news papers that one was birched for stealing a pawn ticket and 2 shillings, im not certain which manasses it was as there was 3 or 4 manasses in the mcgugan line,
the watt library, greenock has old  news paper stories on line some might be of interest to you,

Ronnie

Offline Cloud

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Merchant seamens records 1918-1941 - Albert Stansfield b1915
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 September 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
I have an uncle Albert Stansfield b 2nd June 1915, d 30th Aug 1974. He was an engineer in the Merchant Navy, however I cannot find his naval record. I've searched Britain, Merchant Seaman 1918 - 1941 on Findmypast and digital records on the National Archives. Is there anywhere else to look or should I assume that his records have been destroyed?
I know he traveled to South America and that he sailed in conveys during the Second World War.
On Ancestry I have found him as a passenger on the RMS Antonia returning to Liverpool from Montreal in June 1939 and on the RMS Aquitania sailing from Southampton to New York 6th Sept 1939. Only 4 days after war was declared. On both sailings his address is 33 Wynford St, Salford.
Any help to add information to his career would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Yvonne