Author Topic: Robert Fields Linthwaite Toder  (Read 8960 times)

Offline JMelchiors

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Fields Linthwaite Toder
« on: Monday 19 September 11 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for record of a birth or baptism of Robert Fields Linthwaite Toder in Scotland, ~1814.  Father William, mother unknown (possibly Mary?).  He also had an older sister named Mary Linthwaite Toder, born ~1809, but I'm not sure if she was born in Scotland or England.  If anyone knows anything about either of them, please let me know!  Thanks!

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Fields Linthwaite Toder
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 September 11 08:43 BST (UK) »
Do you have him on any census records?

Where in Scotland was he born?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 September 11 09:14 BST (UK) »
hi all  :)

had a look at this earlier
think the family ended up in maryland USA(around 1821 ?)
there is a marriage 5th oct. 1806 wisbech st peter cambridge england
william toder and mary fields(both are noted as widowed)(IGI beta search)
william born about 1774(?)
there is a naturalization record for a william L toder age 47 in maryland
some trees on the mundia website
william linthwait toder and ann appleton marriage 19th sept. 1795 st. mary nottingham england  :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline JMelchiors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 September 11 14:04 BST (UK) »
Sancti, I can't find any record of him at all, other than his grave in Baltimore, which says that he was born "1814, Scotland".  So I don't even know if that is accurate.  But I've done a lot of searching and can't find him anywhere else.

Ev, I've found the information that you mentioned already.  (I'm descended from the American branch of the family.)  The information about Mary Fields is a little ambiguous though, so I'm trying to find the birth records of the children to see if she is listed as the mother.

What's the mundia website?

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 September 11 17:22 BST (UK) »
When did he die in Baltimore?

Does the gravestone give his full name?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 September 11 18:53 BST (UK) »
There is no gravestone. Just an unmarked grave. per http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=13501234. Another site, http://pipl.com/detailed/?p=PFAgVj0ndjN0Jz48Tj48Rj5Sb2JlcnQ8L0Y-PEw-VG9kZXI8L0w-PC9OPjxBPjxUPkJhbHRpbW9yZSBjaXR5PC9UPjxBPk1EPC9BPjxDPlVTPC9DPjwvQT48L1A-&i=1908735971 , doesn't mention Scotland. Presumably the name and dates come from the cemetery records - it would be good to see exactly what the cemetery says.

What disturbs me about the write up - "With him would have been his father William Linthwaite, 42, and his sister Mary, 12, among others" - is the use of "would have been" which to me implies that the statement is an assumption, rather than the more emphatic "With him were his father ...." which comes as a result of seeing a passenger list.

Even more worrying is the write up for Mary Linthwaite Toder on the same site " Mary J Toder is believed to be one of the passengers who sailed aboard the ship 'Pallas' arriving in Baltimore harbor during the quarter ending September 30, 1821. Sailing with her would have been William Linthwaite Toder,42, and his children Robert F L, 9, and Mary Toder, 12, among others" which seems to make it plain that she hasn't been found on a passenger list. Did William emigrate alone to be followed by his wife and family?

See also http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,392957.new.html#new

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline JMelchiors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 00:22 BST (UK) »
Sancti, Robert died 8 Apr 1853 in Baltimore, according to the Find-a-Grave website.  I'm searching for the original cemetery records to find more information.  There is no gravestone, but the memorial on the website lists his full name as Robert Fields Linthwaite Tudor (I think a lot of the Toder family changed their name to Tudor after they emigrated.  Or the recordkeepers just recorded it that way.)

David, I don't think Mary J Toder and Mary Linthwaite Toder are the same person, and there may have even been another Mary Toder who was married in 1822.  I get the impression that there were other family members on board the ship, maybe cousins, etc, so there may have been several Mary Toders.  I've requested a copy of the passenger list, so I'll let you know when I have more information.  In the meantime, I'll try to find the records for Baltimore Cemetery and see what they show that isn't on Find-a-grave.  It's also possible that Robert and Mary were born in England, not Scotland, but I haven't had any luck searching England records either.  I'll let you know when I have more information. 

Thanks to both of you for your help!

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 11:01 BST (UK) »
Ancestry.com has a database Baltimore Passenger Lists 1820-1948, but I don't have a worldwide subscription. Using trial and error I've deduced the following:
Arrived Baltimore Oct 1821
Mary Tudor born 1776
William C Tudor born 1779
Mary Tudor born 1784
Thomas Tudor born 1806
Mary Tudor born 1809
Robert Tudor born 1815

Looks suspiciously like your Toder family with a couple of extras. If William C is actually William L then it seems as though his wife Mary was with him

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline JMelchiors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
Yup, that looks like them!  That's great!  So they arrived in October, not September.  Maybe that's how long it took to get from PEI to Baltimore.  The older Mary is probably William's sister, who was born in 1776, and the younger one is maybe his wife.  I don't know who Thomas is - I'll have to look into that.  Thanks!