Author Topic: Thomas Campbell & Marion Brown family of Dunfermline  (Read 13360 times)

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hatcher family of Hampshire England who live in Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Campbell & Marion Brown family of Dunfermline
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 January 12 03:15 GMT (UK) »
G'day Janis, thanks very much for the information.

My Elizabeth Campbell's married name became Anderson in 1844. But that's not to say my Campbell's and your Campbell's were not cousins a few more generations further back in the Campbell family tree.

We have hit a bit of a brick wall on my Elizabeth's parents names however we will eventually get more information and I will be able to build & share a picture on my Campbell's and a few other Campbell families of the Dunfermline region.

Thank you to everyone for your postings, please keep posting Campbell information.

Kind regards,
Stephen
England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)
Ireland: Kelly, Landers & Parrington(Tipperary), McConnell(Enniskillen),Tinkler

Offline 9stirling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 09:19 BST (UK) »
Is this William approx dob 1833 son of Thomas Campbell and Marion Brown the same person that married Mary Lyall 1853 Great North Church Dunfermline and emigrated to Australia 1859 ?

Offline 9stirling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 11:33 BST (UK) »
I am looking for details on family of Thomas Campbell and Marion Brown
married about 1819 Dunfermline

Offline diacam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 December 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stephen and others with interest in Thomas Campbell & Marion Brown.  I know it was a year ago or more you posted, but I have similar descendants in my Campbell tree, so I was interested....however, I found that Thomas died in 1869 in Blackburn, Dunfermline (from Scotland's People) and his parents were John Campbell and Rachel Shepherd.  Their son, John made his mark on the death cert.  Perhaps you already found this record...but I thought I would post it anyway just in case.  I believe the Thomas son of John and Jean Brown died at Wellwood Colliery in 1846.
diana campbell

Offline davaar36

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 December 12 10:06 GMT (UK) »
The Rumblingwell Toll was one of a number of toll-bars around Dunfermline. It was situated at the north side of the junction of Baldridgeburn and what is now William Street i.e. the south end of what is now East Baldridge Drive (KY12 9ET). The Old (Auld) Toll was in St Leonards Street (KY11 3AS).

Dod

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 January 13 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dod, although I've never been to Dunfermline or Scotland for that matter, your information does help me to build a better understanding and picture in my mind of the town and for that I am grateful.
Kind regards,
Stephen
England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)

Offline diacam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 January 13 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Stephen,
I too cannot PM you, so I am replying with a portion of my descendant report so that you can see where my John Campbell and Jean Brown parentage leads.  I have been working on this for about two years now, and unfortunately have no photos beyond our gr gr grandfather William Lowe Campbell in Dunkirk, NY.  I hope this attachment will help you out.  Let me know if you need further details or Family Group Sheets of any particular couple.  As I stated before, this particular Thomas has been elusive to find "real" data on.  Anything I find, I will be happy to share with you, and yes, the naming traditions in our Campbell's seems to be very strong! It has helped me many times when I could have gone down the wrong path!
Kind regards,
diana campbell

Offline diacam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 March 16 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Here it is so many years later, and a DNA test of my father-in-law matches my tree with another Campbell who is related to George Campbell son of Thomas & Marion.  Trouble is, the whole parentage  of Thomas & Marion is not what I thought!  One tree says John & Rachel Shepherd of which there is a death record.  Another says John and Jean Brown which I believe has the correct naming tradition!  What to do? Just keep looking I suppose. I wonder if there were two Thomas Campbell and Marion Browns in Fife? At least I KNOW we're related and Thomas and John would have been brothers!
diana

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 July 18 02:43 BST (UK) »
G'day tattie-scone Janis, please forgive the long delay with my reply, thank you for the tip about Rumblingwell.

Finally I've now uncovered my ancestors Thomas Campbell and his wife Marion Brown and their son Robert on the 1861 Scottish census living at Rumblingwell Toll. It seems my Thomas was the Gatekeeper of the toll in 1861. His age on that record is given as 69 years which is about the right age.

In the previous Scottish census for 1851, my Thomas Campbell, Marion and 3 kids were living at Balmule, Thomas's age on that record was 59 years and his occupation listed was a coal miner.

In the Scottish census for 1841, Thomas Campbell, Marion and 5 kids were living at Milesmark, Thomas's age on that record was 45 years and his occupation listed was a coal miner. This record shows their first born son was named John Campbell.

I've also just discovered today, a new piece of my family tree jig-saw puzzle. There was a birth in 1819 of a daughter named Betty Campbell at Queen Anne St. Burgher Associate, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland. Her parents listed were Thomas Campbell and Mary Ann Brown, not Marion.

I know Mary Ann and Marion sound kind of similar. Would it be safe to presume whom ever the scribe back in 1819, could have misspelled the mother's name?

The other thing I find interesting is how their daughter Elisabeth Campbell named her first daughter Marion after her mother. It seems like a fairly reliable naming tradition they consistently used back in the old days.

With this new information indicating that Elisabeth and her twin sister Agnes Campbell are now from the second birth, would I be right to presume second daughters were named after their paternal grandmothers? Would that be the natural naming pattern?

That would mean that Thomas Campbell's mother's name might also be either Elisabeth or Agnes and his father's name might have been John Campbell of Dunfermline?

Kind regards,
Stephen