Author Topic: NOWELL fishing family of Brixham, Hull, Ramsgate & Tenby.  (Read 24207 times)

Offline jigsawpuzzler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NOWELL fishing family of Brixham, Hull, Ramsgate & Tenby.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 October 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
Jill2011
I have John William's father as William born 25 Dec. 1757 son of John born 3 April 1723 & Jane nee Langmead.

There is a William born 20 May 1779 son of John born 1754 & Mary nee Decent. he married a Joanna Loram

Hope this is of use

Offline Jill2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 16:07 BST (UK) »
Now Im really confused - this is what I have what do you think?   Records from familysearch and Brixham Heritage web site.

John Williams bapt 2/10/1808 parents William and Catherine (their marriage date 1 9 1802)
William bapt 20 5 1779 parents John and Mary Decent (their marriage 9 6 1778)
John bapt 1 1 1754 parents John (bapt 3 9 1723) and Jane Langmead.
John Nowell bap 3 9 1723 parents John and Agnes (no marriage date)
John Nowell bap 23 11 1701 parents Nicholas and Ann
Nicholaus Nowell bapt 7 8 1677 parent Phillip Nowell

jigsawpuzzler - I had a quick look for a marriage of William Nowell and Joanna Loram but the date was 29 4 1792 this would have only made William born 1779 13 years old at the time of his marriage (thats if I read your comment right). I believe this William married Catherine but I could be wrong.

Thank you to pilkdown for all your information.

Offline Jill2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
To pilkdown re message

"Would be very interested if anyone has any info on possible links between the William & Catherine (m 1802) and Nicholas &  Mary (M 1814)".

I thought that William and Nicholas were brothers however I have found a family tree on ancestry.co.uk which suggests that Nicholas b abt 1796 was the son of a Thomas Nowell (bapt 21 9 1766) and Elizabeth Crews however I could not find any evidence of a baptism for Nicholas on familysearch. Thomas’s father is recorded as Nicholas Nowell  bap 9 12 1725 son of John Nowell and Agnes  which could be were the connection lies. (their children John b 1723 being Nicholas brother b 1725).

Brixham Heritage Records pdf files go up to 1765 so unfortunately I can not check this out.

If any one has the baptism of Nicholas in 1766 it would really help as I can not find this on familysearch.

Offline pilkdown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 18:03 BST (UK) »
 Hi Jill2011

Re William and Nicholas,

Thanks for that info, that all seems to make a great deal of sense. I am pretty sure they are related, as there are too many occasions when the two branches pop up together for it to be coincidence. I think it might be time for a trip to the Brixham history centre!

Offline Jill2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 18:07 BST (UK) »
Whoops - Ive got the date wrong for Nicholas - there is no baptism date just an estimate of 1796. Its Thomas baptism details I gave by mistake. Time to take a break I think.

Offline jigsawpuzzler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 23:22 BST (UK) »
Jill2011   I have the same line back for John William as far as Nicholas & Ann, I then have Nicholas' father as John bapt. 26/1/1630 married  Sibley. John as son of Phillip married to Martha Barrett 14/9/1617.
 John has a brother Phillip bapt. 7/7/1633 who had a son Nicholas bapt.7/8/1677.

You are quite right there is a problem with William 1779 & Joanna. I 'm sure William is right but probably he was not married to Joanna, I think she came from Totnes,and may not be relevant.

The link I have for William & Catherine m1802 and Nicholas 1796 & Mary m1814 is ---
Nicholas' father Thomas bapt.2/9/1766 was son of Nicholas bapt. 7/12/1725 who was the brother of John bapt. 3/4/1723 who was the father of William bapt.25/12/1757.   I will look for a date of baptism for Nicholas 1796 next time I go to ExeterRrecord Office

Offline jigsawpuzzler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 22 October 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
jill2011 Nicholas's Bapt. date was 9/8/1799

does anyone have any information about any of the William Nowells born 1800 -1808 and later
which one was the father( married to Rhoda ) of Sarah bapt.2/5/1847
which William( a labourer) was the father of Elizabeth( married in1842 to Thomas Hodge)
any help appreciated

Offline _Noel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 November 12 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Interested in a line that may have stayed in Bonavista, Newfoundland.

Nowell, Nicholas bn Brixham s/o Philip/brother John Noll (Nowell)

1675 - Ship: Bricksom Merchant, Brixham, Capt. Nicholas Newell, (Nowell) bapt Brixham 1630 s/o Philip

1705 - Captain of the Pembroke from London, John Noll (Nowell).

A stray - Nicholas Newal father of John 1785 Harbour Grace

Anyone know if their families remained in England?

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 16 November 12 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Noel.
The earliest I have managed to get back to (in Brixham) is Nicholas Nowell (bap. 1677) son of Phillip.  Nicholas married Anne Horsewell; they had sons (at least): John, 1701 + Nicholas, 1705 and Oades, 1707.

This was deduced after a very painstaking study of the parish register transcripts which can be found via the Devon pages of genuki.

John married Agnes from which at least 5 sons and a large family of descendants in Brixham and other fishing communities of the U.K. and Ireland.

My in-laws family tree has 2 sisters who each married a Nicholas Nowell in Brixham, during the 1830's.

I hope you get a posting from jigsawpuzzler as she is the Nowell expert, but I will help if I can.

Good luck.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.