Author Topic: NOWELL fishing family of Brixham, Hull, Ramsgate & Tenby.  (Read 24202 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NOWELL fishing family of Brixham, Hull, Ramsgate & Tenby.
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 29 May 16 23:05 BST (UK) »
You don't say what your particular interest is??

I am sorry I only have Richard Hamling as married to Elizabeth Coke..... but there is a current Richard Hamling, an ardent researcher, who shows up if you google him.  I would always check any trees I found on-line quite carefully to verify, if I wanted to use them.

I have not researched all the families of Susannah Coke's siblings. I usually just note the marriages, as I have quite enough trouble keeping tabs on the one line, and would sooner look at the social history than have masses of BMD with no other details.

All the Brixham St Mary registers are available free on-line and you can find them here:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/BrixhamStMary  <

Rowse is my particular interest.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Jill2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 12 June 16 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sarah for putting the information about the marriage of Mary Ann Nowell and Samuel Hamling. I havent been on the website for a while so I have only just found it.

Mary Ann Nowell is my husbands 1st cousin 5 x removed. So I haven't managed to look into this side of the family yet.

How are you related to Mary Ann if you don't mind me asking.

I would be very interested in any information on the descendants of their children if you have traced these and don't mind sharing.

On my side of the family I do have a lot of Hamling/Hamblin and other various spellings of the name and they come from the Gloucestershire area and have traced these back to Hungerford in Berkshire but I dont expect they are the same family but you never know.

Jill

Offline sarahmocat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill
I don't have much more information about Samuel and Mary Ann other than what I put in my earlier post.
I do have the baptisms of their children as follows:

Samuel born 28/11/1851 bapt 4/4/1852 at All Saints, Brixham
Sarah Kate born 23/2/1850 bapt 4/4/1852 at All Saints, Brixham
Amelia Elizabeth born 19/7/1848 bapt 1/1/1854 at All Saints, Brixham buried 16/11/1864 at St Mary's, Brixham
Susan Ann Nowell born 17/8/1853 bapt 1/1/1854 at All Saints, Brixham
Richard born 9/12/1857 bapt 16/3/1860 at All Saints, Brixham
William Gibbons born 15/6/1855 bapt 16/3/1860 at All Saints, Brixham
Cornelius born 16/11/1860 bapt 8/8/1862 at All Saints, Brixham.

So they appear to have had their children baptised in batches!
I haven't traced their descendants any further. I'm not related to the Nowell family and only to the Hamlings by marriage. Samuel's brother Cornelius moved to Kent and had a family there before moving to Hull where his parents Richard and Elizabeth had already gone. Cornelius' daughter Christiana married Edmund Jordan in 1874 and he was the brother of my ancestor Richard Jordan. I wouldn't normally spend much time on "in-laws" but the Hamlings seemed interesting and Brixham is not far from where I live so I thought I'd have a look. I posted the info I had on Samuel & Mary Ann because I stumbled across this thread and hoped it would be of help to someone else rather than because I wanted to follow it up myself.
I think Samuel's son Cornelius went to Hull as well (lots of the family did so).

Best wishes
Sarah

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 26 June 16 09:42 BST (UK) »
Found This marriage, 13 April 1832 All Saints, Brixham, Marriage Nicholas Nowell and Elizabeth Rowse Witnessed by William King, Joseph Palfray (X)
sometimes transcribed as Knowles.
I have Kingdom family also from Brixham, Ramsgate, Hull & Tenby.
gogogadgetlegs 
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 30 June 16 10:18 BST (UK) »
Yes..... thank you gogogadgetlegs.

Then Elizabeth's younger sister Selina Rowse married Nicholas Nowell at St Mary's in April 1839.  :-\
For years I assumed it was the same Nicholas, but eventually found census proof that it wasn't.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 30 June 16 12:16 BST (UK) »
Just found that i have a Jemima Rouse married a George Sparks 24 Dec 1834 Brixham they moved to Tenby, Brixham, Ramsgate.  Jemima daur of Edward Langman Rouse & Susanna Gibbons.
Phil
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
o

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 30 June 16 12:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, she was their sister too.  :)

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 30 June 16 12:26 BST (UK) »
If you want a copy sending of this part of the family could email me and i will forward you a copy,
Phil
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
o

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 30 January 17 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Noel
Many thanks again, I have been puzzling over these Josephs. Could it have been Joseph b. 1734 son of Oades who was the wife of Hannah, do they marry in 1759   & father of the 3 children, then I have a Joseph b.1794 the son of Joseph & Mary, could he have been the John/Joseph who died 1835 aged 38?? If so I have 6 Josephs on my tree & 5 burial dates ie. one too many. Interesting how Joseph & Hannah's children start as Nowell but are Newell when they are buried. Are the Newfoundland Newells definitely the same family and do they then change to Noel? Any clue to what happened to Thomas born 1763?
I think John b. 1630 is my 8 x grandfather, his children are fairly well spaced so you could imagine a trans Atlantic voyage between each.
I have a John b.1659 and one b.1681 both have no English history so could be Captain John Noll,but it would be a long shot
Re the children of Philip I have his spouse as Martha and Nicholas's birth as 1630/31 ( change of calendar?) and Philip b.1676 as son of Philip b. 1633. Interested to hear of any more discoveries

NOEL and JIGSAWPUZZLER
I found these burials for daughters of Joseph and Hannah in Newfoundland: 1764 and 1765.
Do you have them?

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cannf/as_angpar1752.htm