Author Topic: NOWELL fishing family of Brixham, Hull, Ramsgate & Tenby.  (Read 24195 times)

Offline Jill2011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NOWELL fishing family of Brixham, Hull, Ramsgate & Tenby.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 October 11 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi many thanks for your help. On an 1861 census with his mother Charlotte is a son John William Nowell born in 1838 Dublin, Ireland. I think John and Charlotte were living in Ireland between 1836-1848 as 4 of their children were born there. With his fathers name also recorded as John Williams it is looking like his father could either be a William or a John or both. I will have to get hold of a copy of the William's baptism to see if it says anything else. Or see if I can find the marriage of John and Temperance.

Many thanks

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 October 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Devon family history society?
Quite probably they can help.
Good luck...............
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline jigsawpuzzler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi I've come to join the discussions on the brixham nowells. What started out as an attempt to complete my mothers early ( before computers ) efforts to find dirrect ancestors has turned into  an obsessive desire to link all the Brixham Nowell together like a jigsaw! it has been great fun and I must be getting near the end.??
 John William born 1809-- a big problem-- there doesn't appear to be any trace of parents, I had given him to John  & Temperance but the gap there between chidren is only 19 months, other candidates were Joseph & Mary with 23 months between children at that time, Richard & Mary or Thomas & Harriet but nothing concrete. I'm also a bit puzzled by note on Ancestry about probate on his will in 1876, £99 17 02d left to charlotte Lambert wife of William Valentine Lambert, I have Charlotte junior married to someone else. Any input to my jigsaw greatfully received.
 I'd  also like to find parents for John Nowell born Churston 1817 married to Mary then Eliza,- with Children John Percy, Florence Mary, and Annie   

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
William Valentine LAMBERT married Charlotte STOKES Sept qtr 1875 Thanet vol 2a page 1239.
Charlotte Thompson NOWELL married Thomas Robert STOKES Mar qtr 1859 Thanet vol 2a page 796.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline pilkdown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 October 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just picked up on this thread about the Nowell family from Brixham/Ramsgate, which I have been researching for the last couple of years.

Hope this is useful ;

According to the Devon Parish records John William Nowell was born in Brixham and baptised at St Mary's on 2nd Oct 1808. His parents were William and Catherine. They were married in 1802. William was a Mariner and Catherine's maiden name was May.

John William Nowell married Charlotte Thompson in Dover on 29th Nov 1830.

William and Catherine appear to have had at least four other children;

Nicholas (Bpt 9/12/1810)
Henry (Bpt 17/10/1813
Catherine (Bpt 17/8/1815
George Henry (Bpt 4/10/1818)

Nicholas went onto mary Elizabeth Rowse (B 1812) on 30th Apr 1832.

Another Nicholas (Bapt 16 July) 1815 (son of Nicholas Nowell and Mary (nee Dust)) appears to mary Selina Rowse in June 1839. As far as I can see it this Nicholas that has a son Nicholas who then ends up in Ramsgate.

Would be very interested if anyone has any info on possible links between the William & Catherine (m 1802) and Nicholas &  Mary (M 1814).

Offline Jill2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 07 October 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Many thanks for the information.

Would you have a taken a copy of this baptism on the 2 Oct 1808.

I had some research done by devon family history society and they didnt manage to find a match but it does look like you do have a match.

Do you know if the Brixham records go back further eg the parents of William and Catherine

Many thanks once again

Offline jigsawpuzzler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 October 11 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information about John William   & also for the post about Charlotte & William Lambert.
I have Willliam & Catherine's son as William born or rather baptised on 25th Oct.1806 and I was rather hoping I'd find a John William in the Exeter microfiches. must look harder next visit.  I think William & Catherine had a total of 7 children.
Nicholas 1815 married Selina but she died aged 44, he then married Elizabeth Harford a widow.
Nicholas's parents were Nicholas b. 1796    & Mary Bird. Mary Dust married yet another Nicholas in 1814  they seem to have had only one son Matthew who died aged  1yr' in 1832 perhaps they should have been less adventurous and called him Nicholas!
The links between Nicholas 1815 & William 1757----- Nicholas' greatgrandfather Nicholas 1725 was brother to William's father John 1723.
The tree goes back from here to Phillip married in 1617 and rather more shakily to Phillippe & Rycorde married in 1589
I think these facts are fairly accurate.
At present I am trying to find out which William - of 4 born within 8 years, remarried as a widower, Mary Anne Trant in 1872 aged 63 and who his first wife was.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 October 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks to jill2011 and pilkdown, and for all contributions.

I know familysearch suggests that the mother of Selina's husband Nicholas was Mary Dust, but given that one of his brother's appears to be Stephen Bird Nowell (bap 1.2.1829) I think we can accept that his mother was actually Mary Bird.  (Wife of Nicholas bap.1796.)

I wonder if anyone has found satisfactory burials for any of these Nicholas Nowell?? 
Especially the two that married the Rowse sisters please. (i.e. Nicholas's bap 1810 & 1815)

Perhaps that would help us sort them and their second marriages out.   ::)

p.s. Jill - you can find transcribes on-line of some Brixham registers at the Brixham Heritage Museum site. 
I think the parent's of William bap. 1757 were John bap. 1723 who married Jane Langmead in 1752.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Jill2011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 October 11 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just to let you know I did find John William Nowells baptism on familysearch - the name was misspelt - Its recorded as Kowell.

I havent started to look at burials as yet. Still trying to get my head around all the Nowell's.

I couldnt find Johns father William on familysearch.org in Brixham unless its spelt wrong that is. I did find

William Bennett Nowell bap 18/11/1776 Stoke Fleming
William Nowell bap 4/5/1777 Dittisham
William Nowell 14/11/1773 Stoke Fleming

Have any of you come across a William Nowell b abt 1780 in Brixham?

I did however find info on his wife Catherine May and her family if anyone would like this info let me know.