Author Topic: Stalag Viiic Konin Zaganski  (Read 10515 times)

Offline 1lucybella2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stalag Viiic Konin Zaganski
« on: Monday 19 September 11 15:39 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help me?!

I'm researching the sad WW2 experience of my Nana's first husband Sam Pickering. He was a Guardsman (2617207) in the Grenadier Guards (Foot Guards) and he went missing at Anzio sometime in 1942. He was captured as a POW and on the UK British Army Prisoner lists went to Stalag Viiic at Konin Zaganski in Poland (POW 86654). He died on 22nd March 1945 and I heard something about him going on a 'Death March' westwards as so many did towards the end of the war and liberation of camps.

I'm quite confused as I read on the camp's museum website that the Konin Zaganski camp was used primarily for Polish POWs and was 'broken' in 1940 and prisoners transferred to Stalag VIIIA in Zgorzelec or to Stalag VIIIC in Zagan. (www.muzeum.eline2.serwery.pl/index.php?id=21&lng=eng). Can anyone please shed light on this as Stalag ViiiC at KZ clearly was being used as an allied POW camp throughout the war.

I believe there was a death march from Stalag Viiic Zagan from 8th Feb-10th Mar 1945 to Stalag XIB but Viiic Konin Zaganski may have been different.
If anyone has any links/info specifically relating to a Death March from Konin Zaganski on/after which he may have died I'd love to hear from you on here or by private message as any help would be gratefully received. Also anything about the Guards leading up to and during Anzio - I want to piece together his experiences but not sure where to start!

Thanks!

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Stalag Viiic Konin Zaganski
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 16:31 BST (UK) »
I have had a browse through The National Archives War Crimes files and if looking myself would start at       WO 311/1095.

Brian
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline 1lucybella2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 September 11 19:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian. This could be really useful (if rather harrowing) reading.

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 September 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
I am afraid that many files in this series make very harrowing reading, as with other war crimes series of files. More so when you read about a relative.

Thanks Brian. This could be really useful (if rather harrowing) reading.

Offline nimleon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 October 11 16:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Lucy and Brian,

I am also interested in Konin Zaganski and what I assume was another camp in the complex Kunau Kz Sprottau/Sagan.  I am researching a man who I believe was imprisoned there.  I think he survived (so assume took part in the death march) but was very damaged by the experience and never made contact with his family in Kent again after the war. 

I have looked at the camp website and have also ordered the records you mention from the NA.  Are there any general histories of the camp that I can read?

Do you know generally how British POWs came to be at Zagan?

Do you know where I can find the prisoner records.  Ancestry and Find My Past indicate that the 'Exeter Infantry Record Office' hold them but I can find no record of this office anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

Best wishes, Naomi Leon

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 October 11 20:17 BST (UK) »
What was the mans name Naomi. Send it by P.M. if you don't want to post it.

WO 224/28 Holds reports on inspections made by the I.C.R.C. on St. 8C from 1942 to 1945 and should give information regarding any sub-camps attached.

Brian

Dear Lucy and Brian,

I am also interested in Konin Zaganski and what I assume was another camp in the complex Kunau Kz Sprottau/Sagan.  I am researching a man who I believe was imprisoned there.  I think he survived (so assume took part in the death march) but was very damaged by the experience and never made contact with his family in Kent again after the war. 

I have looked at the camp website and have also ordered the records you mention from the NA.  Are there any general histories of the camp that I can read?

Do you know generally how British POWs came to be at Zagan?

Do you know where I can find the prisoner records.  Ancestry and Find My Past indicate that the 'Exeter Infantry Record Office' hold them but I can find no record of this office anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

Best wishes, Naomi Leon

Offline nimleon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 October 11 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian. The man's name was Howard Sloane and if I am right, he was born in Gravesend in May 1924. He is listed as a private in the Welch Regiment.

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 October 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian. The man's name was Howard Sloane and if I am right, he was born in Gravesend in May 1924. He is listed as a private in the Welch Regiment.

I haven't done those with the letter S yet but will be at Kew next week and will look at WO 344/291/1.
I have to tell you that there is a higher percentage of Airforce POW than those from the Army that made a report when Liberated.

He may have been made a prisoner in Libya as there were quite a lot from the Regiment taken around January 1942.
He is listed as a POW in P.G. 35 Italy.

Brian

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 October 11 18:22 BST (UK) »
Checked File today Naomi and unfortunately there was none.
I did give it a good browse in case it had been mis-filed.

Brian