Author Topic: Stalag Viiic Konin Zaganski  (Read 10513 times)

Offline nimleon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stalag Viiic Konin Zaganski
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Dear Brian
Thank you for looking - it's incredibly kind of you to take the time.
Very best wishes,
Naomi

Offline Lisa Seagroatt

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Currently working as Group HR Manager for Springdene Nursing and Care Homes, contract ending in November 2016. I left school in 1986 without any qualifications and went to work for Guinness Publishing Ltd in Enfield Town which was then the home of the fa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 November 16 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Dear all,

I have just found out that my late uncle was held at Konin Zaganski, Poland.  I have an original army letter confirming that he was reported missing in 1944 and presumed dead but was actually a POW at this camp.  My understanding from my late mother was that he suffered dreadful beatings and was starved as were all inmates.  He never spoke about the experience there when he came home - they had no idea what had happened to him until his aunt recognised the signs of trauma he was displaying (having seen her own husband survive WWI) and she encouraged him to talk.  I believe he was on the death march but cannot verify this now as there is nobody in the family left to confirm this but I do know that one of the duties he had to perform was to clear the gas chambers.  My understanding from my mother is that the liberation of the camp was shown on a BBC newsreel in the cinema in 1945 as my mother saw her brother at the gates as the allies opened them and ran home to tell her mother that her brother was still alive.  I would love to see the footage if this still survives.

This may not be of any help or interest to any of you but having seen the group chat I thought I might as well pass this on just incase as there is nobody else I know of who could use this information now and he never had a family of his own.  I am however, interested in any details anyone is able to share particularly around liberation of the camp as my uncle obviously did come home to the family but I know his mental and physical health suffered as a consequence of such an appalling experience.

Lisa

Offline Buffnut453

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 December 17 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brian. The man's name was Howard Sloane and if I am right, he was born in Gravesend in May 1924. He is listed as a private in the Welch Regiment.

Hi Naomi,

I've been researching a cousin of mine who was also in the Welsh Regt and imprisoned at STALAG VIII-C. 

My cousin was Francis (Frank) Lee.  He was a casualty reinforcement into the Welsh Regt having initially served with the King's Regt, going ashore on Sword Beach on D-Day.  He was captured at s'Hertogenbosch, Holland, in October 1944.

Happy to share discoveries if you're interested. 

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 December 17 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Much of the information on the camp plus what it looks like today. Google the address below

Stalag Viiic at Konin Zaganski