Author Topic: DALTON, Coggeshall  (Read 5380 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
DALTON, Coggeshall
« on: Wednesday 21 September 11 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Has anyone actually found the baptisms of the following three children who are said to be born/baptised in Coggeshall and the children of my ancestors Michael and Jane Dalton?

Abraham c1805.
Isaac c1806.
Jacob c1809.

Three people on GR have them in their tree as children of Michael and Jane, I have searched for them in the St Peter ad Vincular Coggeshall online PRs but not found them.  The three children appear in Censuses (as adults) and in 1851 Jacob was living next door to Michael & Jane.  Fortunately none of the three are my ancestor.   

The facts as I know them are that Michael and Jane married in 1795 at Coggeshall, they baptised four children between 1797 and 1804, Rebeckah, Michael, Jane and another Michael.

It's not that I doubt the parentage of the children but would like to see or find proof, it is possible I suppose they could be in the Coggeshall Congregational registers but on my trips to the UK (after seeing those three children on GR) I didn't get round to checking those registers, too busy tracking down ancestors.

Regards.

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DALTON, Coggeshall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
hi findem.
i don,t know if the following helps hinders or you may already have the detail but here goes  ;D .
all the following records are for the INDEPENDENT MEETING HOUSE  stoneham street great coggeshall .
emma daltond born 24th aug1826  bpt 28oct 1827  father abraham mother sarah
harriet dalton b 3 april 1829  bpt 18 oct 1829 father abraham mother sarah
rebekah dalton  b 6 march 1831  bpt 23 oct 1831 father abraham mother sarah
myra  dalton b 10 dec 1833  bpt 13 april 1834  father abraham mother sarah
abraham dalton b 15 july 1836 bpt 19 march 1837

mary ann dalton  b 22 feb 1830  bpt 23 oct 1830  father isaac   mother  mary
isaac horatio dalton  b 1 july 1832  bpt 9 sept 1832  father isaac  mother mary
isaac dalton  died 25 july 1834  buried 27 july1834  aged 2 yrs  father isaac  mother  mary
mary ann dalton  died 21 july 1834  buried 27 july 1834  aged 4 yrs 5 months  father isaac mother  mary
isaac boltwood dalton b 16 june 1834  bpt 15 march 1834  father isaac  mother  mary

michael dalton  b 24 dec 1834  bpt 15 march 1835   father  jacob  mother  rachel

found these in the non conformist records on the genealogist site  , i presume when you say you,ve looked at all pr,s you mean those for coggeshall on the seax site ?, if not there are a lot of the early years for ST PETERS  coggeshall online , hope this may be of help if only to kick start your request for help .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi t mo,

I didn't have those details so thanks for it, initially the only mention I heard of those three children I mentioned in my previous post was via people who had them in their tree, later on I saw them as adults in censuses.  I have yet to see a tree which has any of those three with full dates and parents attached, I have contacted some owners to see if they can flesh out the c1805/6/9 but the answer comes back along the lines of, no, I got those three from so and so.

I have them and an associated family, Anthony, on my list for searching when the later date PRs of St Peter ad Vincular and the non com registers are online.  Donkey's years ago on a visit to the UK, I did have a look in one non com register but having now mislaid the notes I'm not sure which lot it belonged to, I do remember the writing though which was atrocious.

Thanks again for the info I'll make a note of it.

Regards.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi t mo,

I forgot to mention that I have just recently finished trawling through all the online St Peter's PRs looking for a Jane Anthony c 1758 and anything else related to my Coggeshall lines, I'm pretty sure Jane will be in a non com but perhaps St Peter  ;D

Regards

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi t mo,

Reading your post again something just clicked in, for some obscure reason I didn't sleep well last night so I think my brain is on delayed action.

I have a Coggeshall ancestor I've been searching for over the years by the name Joseph Harris who in Censuses claims he was born in Lt Coggeshall c1806, he's not to be found in St Peters nor some surrounding parishes.  At various times my Coggeshall Harris families lived in Stonehaven Street, noting that your info came from the Independent Meeting House Stonehaven Street, I'm thinking his family may have dropped St Peters for the Independent.  After all it would be 'just down the road' and I'm told that Coggeshall became a hot bed of non conformism.

So again thanks for that info and for kick starting my brain.  ;D

Regards. 

PS I have searched the later years Coggeshall PRs but it was many years ago at the ERO on one of my many visits to the UK and of course good old Essex, this was in my early days of research so I am looking forward to revisiting those later PRs, just in case!!

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 October 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
hi findem
i,ve had alook in non conformist records and all i can find is the following for the GREAT STONEHAM STREET INDEPENDANT CHAPEL
jane anthony bpt 30 april 1758 father abraham .
also looked for anything on joseph harris but not any joy i,m afraid , i did find this though for the REGISTER of BIRTHS AND BAPTISMS  for the INDEPENDANT CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL  NAYLAND 1758-1837
abraham harris born 20 jan 1786  baptised 23 march 1786  father william   mother elizabeth .
hope this doesn,t muddy the waters but just thought it might be worth putting down , have you seen any possible links to other towns or villages in the coggeshall area for any of your ancestors .
feel free to ask for look ups i,m more than willing to help .
regards
trevor

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 October 11 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi t mo,

Thanks a heap for Jane Anthony, she is the one I've been dying to find, Jane married Michael Dalton, Michael and Jane are my 4 X gt grandparents.

Thanks for the offer of a search, I would be grateful if you could check the same register between Jane's parent's marriage 9 Dec 1754 and Jane's baptism 30 April 1758 , in case there are other children baptised between those dates.

Could you also check the same register for Charlot 22 Sep 1762, this is just to ascertain if Jane's siblings were baptised at the same Chapel.  I found them many years ago and being inexperienced I only noted their baptism place, Coggeshall, so now I don't know the chapel's name.  I do recall they were on a non com film at the ERO and that the writing was cramped and difficult in places to decipher, nearly put me off research  ;D

The other children (surname spelt as Antiney) are:
Charlot 22 Sep 1762.
Abraham & Sarah 17 Nov 1767.
Isaac & Jacob 22 Jan 1779.

Regards & thanks.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 October 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
hi findem .
went back to the genealogist , non conformist records and by just using ANTHONY  as a search it came up with the following list which is nearly as long as war and peace  ;D but never mind hope you find what your looking for .
monthly meeting at coggeshall
hannah anthony  born feb 1657  father john , no other info with record
                   monthly meeting of colchester
john anthony wed ann brown 24 feb 1668 groom from coggeshall bride from colchester
                              monthly meeting coggeshall
isaac anthony born 27 nov 1669  father john mother ann
                               register of marriages quarterly meeting of essex
isaac stacy wed ann anthony 11 april 1681 both of gt coggeshall   grooms occ wool comber 
                                monthly meeting at coggeshall
isaac anthony  burial 12 feb 1692  father isaac mother martha
                                      quarterly meeting of essex
isaac anthony wed martha ludgate  28 april 1692 coggeshall magna   grooms father john
                                      monthly meeting coggeshall
isaac anthony  born 22 feb 1693  father isaac  mother martha 
elizabeth anthony  born 16 may 1694   father isaac mother martha

ann anthony  born 1 march 1696  father isaac  mother martha
martha anthony born 29 dec 1700  father isaac  mother  martha
mary anthony  born 21 july 1702 father isaac  mother  martha      ?

mary anthony born 17 march 1703  father isaac  mother martha  ?
mary anthony died 23 oct 1703  father isaac  mother  martha
martha anthony died 8 sept 1714  husband isaac
                                  great stoneham street independant chapel
william anthony  bpt 27 dec 1770   father william  mother eliza
ann anthony born 16 march 1773  bpt 26 jan 1776 father william  mother eliza
sarah anthony  born 3 nov 1775  bpt 26 jan 1776  father william  mother eliza

isaac anthony  born 9 sep 1775  bpt  22 jan 1779  father abram   mother rebecca
jacob anthony   born 30 aug 1776   bpt  22 jan 1779  father abram   mother  rebecca
lydia anthony  born 20 nov 1778  bpt  22 jan  1779   father william  mother  eliza
mary anthony  born 21 aug 1795  bpt 21 feb 1799  father william   mother mary

mary anthony  born 31 aug 1813  bpt 4 nov 1813  father jacob  mother  hannah
hannah anthony  born 13 may  1817  bpt  21 july 1819   father  jacob  mother  hannah
jacob anthony  born 8 feb  1819   bpt  21 july 1819   father jacob  mother hannah
                            independant meeting house  coggeshall
sarah anthony  died aug 1819   husband / father  isaac   ?
                               independant congregation at gt stoneham street coggeshall
abraham anthony born 8 june 1819  bpt 8 aug 1819  father isaac  mother sarah
                               independant congregation  gt stoneham street
william anthony  born 21 july 1794   bpt 10 sep 1820  father william  mother mary
                                         independant meeting house
abraham anthony born 9 jan 1821  bpt 13 sep 1821   father jacob  mother hannah   fathers occ shoemaker
rhoda grange anthony  born 16 june 1822  bpt 11 aug  1822  father  isaac  mother rhoda  fathers occ shoemaker
abraham anthony born 24 aug 1823  bpt 27 mar 1825   father  isaac  mother  rhoda
elizabeth anthony born 10 april 1825  bpt 28 may 1826   father isaac  mother  rhoda
jacob anthony   born 13 aug 1826   bpt 15 april 1827  father isaac  mother  rhoda
william anthony  born 13 march 1828   bpt 18 may 1828   father isaac   mother  rhoda
jacb anthony  died 27 june 1829  burial 2 july 1829  age 2.75
jacob anthony died 15 feb 1830  burial 19 feb 1830  age 6 months
eliza ann anthony died 15 dec 1831  burial 21 dec 1831  age 6
rhoda anthony  died 12 aug 1833  burial 18 aug 1833  age 38
isaac anthony  died 18 aug 1834   burial 24 aug 1834  age 17

using the spelling antiney all that came up for essex was what you already have births and bpt for gtstoneham street independant chapel
charlotte antiney bpt 22 sep 1762  father abram

where i,ve ? those 2 i can,t work out if one is wrong or a mistranscription but it doesn,t make sense to me .
hope this helps but either way it,ll keep you off the streets for a while  ;D.
regards trevor

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 October 11 06:16 BST (UK) »
Hi t mo,

Many thanks for your time and effort spent on my behalf, I am very grateful.

Regarding the two Mary's you've question-marked, daughters of Isaac and Martha Anthony, the time line goes:

21 Jul 1702 Mary born.
23 Oct 1703 Mary died.
17 Mar 1703 Mary born.
Bearing in mind that up until 1725 the first day of the new year was the 25th of March, so the 17th of March 1703 is approx 5 months after October 1703.  Does that clarify matters or is there something I'm missing?

Later I'll print out all the list  and see where they fit into the Anthony families I have.

I had hoped you would find an Abraham Anthony born somewhere between 1754 and 1758, Jane's parents, Abraham and Rebekah are said to have married in 1754 in St Peter ad Vincular, as soon as the later year Coggeshall PRs come on line I'll verify that marriage and search for Abraham's baptism in St Peter ad Vincula registers 1754  to 1758. 

Perhaps Abraham and Rebekah didn't go over to the Non Coms until after Abraham was born and baptised.  I found in St Peter's register the baptism on 2 Jul 1790 of Jane daughter of Abraham and Susannah Anthony, Jane baptised in 1758 was the only other Jane Anthony found in St Peter's registers, it leads me to believe that the 1790 Jane was named after an aunt Jane 1758 and therefore Jane 1758 had a brother Abraham who married a Susannah.

Regards