Author Topic: DALTON, Coggeshall  (Read 5379 times)

Offline Boblefrog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DALTON, Coggeshall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 July 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi findem. I know it is a long time since you have posted this but I am interested to know how much you have found out about the Dalton line in Coggeshall. My wife is a direct descendant of the Daltons in Coggeshall. We visited there 10 years ago and spoke to a local historian who mentioned as I recall that they were Mormons. The last Dalton lived there until around 2000, and was the village blacksmith so we just missed being able to speak with them.
It has been so long as I started researching my own family history and we started our own family. However we still live in Essex so if there is anywhere you wish me to go  to look up I would be happy to help.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 July 17 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Boblefrog,

Nice to hear from you.

I have no knowledge of any Mormon Daltons, all those I have knowledge of were C of E or Anglican as they are called now.

I descend from Eliza Dalton who was born in Coggeshall in 1829, Eliza was the daughter of Michael Dalton and Frances Potter, Eliza married Joseph Harris at Coggeshall in 1853.  Joseph and Eliza are my great grandparents on my maternal line, their daughter Annie Harris is my maternal grandmother.

Michael Dalton, husband of Frances Potter, was born in 1804 at Coggeshall, Michael was a Blacksmith by trade.

Michael's father, was also Michael and was born in 1765 Gt Ellingham Norfolk and married Jane Anthony a widow in 1796 at Coggeshall, he was also a Blacksmith.

In a Census one of the two above Michael Daltons was a Master Blacksmith, I've just noticed that in my records I fail to note which one was the Master Blacksmith, I have a hunch it might be the Michael who married Jane Anthony, I'll have to check it out.

I go back a further two generations of Daltons in Norfolk, the earliest is Benjamin Dolton (Dalton) circa 1691 and his wife Anne Cork(e)

Followed by his son, yet another Michael Dalton born in 1732 at North Walsham, Norfolk and his wife Mary Beales, they are the parents of the Michael Dalton born 1765 in Gt Ellingham, Norfolk.

I have no knowledge of the occupations of Benjamin Dolton and Michael Dalton (1732), I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them were a Blacksmith.

All the Daltons I've mentioned above were baptised C of E, except Benjamin of course because I've been unable to find his birth or baptism but I strongly suspect he would have been baptised C of E.

In more modern times I suppose it's possible one or more Daltons might have converted to the church of latter day saints (Mormon) faith but I haven't seen or heard anything to suggest that is the case.

In a nutshell my Dalton line goes:-
Benjamin Dolton c 1691.
Michael Dalton 1732 North Walsham, Norfolk.
Michael Dalton 1765 Gt Ellingham, Norfolk.
Michael Dalton 1804 Coggeshall.
Eliza Dalton 1829 Coggeshall.

I would be very interested to learn where your wife's Dalton line connects to the Coggeshall Daltons.

If you have any questions fire away.

If you haven't already found the following site you, or anyone with Coggeshall ancestors, will find it useful, amongst other things they have transcripts of Coggeshall parish burial and Marriage registers, unfortunately very little on baptisms.

http://coggeshallmuseum.org.uk/familyresearchers1.htm

Regards,

PS just done a check, the Master Blacksmith is the Michael Dalton born 1765 in Gt Ellingham, thr husband of Jane Anthony.

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boblefrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 July 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for the reply,

Firstly my apologies I'm getting confused with the mormons with another branch.

My understanding is that Michael Dalton and Jane Anthony had at least five children.

Isaac Dalton: Married Mary Boltwood
Jacob Dalton: Married to Rachel. He was the innkeeper at Black Horse Inn
Rebecca Dalton: Married became Rebecca Young
Michael Dalton: I had no information on him other than listed as a Shoe Smith

And Abraham Dalton: Married to Sarah. My wife's family descend from Abraham through his son and Grandson both called Abraham.

As Dalton was the family name this was the very first line that we investigated back in 2006. As such, unfortunately my notes are not particularly comprehensive. One thing I do remember is how many of them were blacksmiths. This is something that seems to be carried through to her family today. My wife's Brother, Father and Grandfather all work or worked on the railways. They all also like repairing and rebuilding cars. I could imagine them being blacksmiths if they were alive 150 years ago. I believe this is a Dalton trait!

Anyway I digress, my wife has little interest in her family tree. However as we have 3 children now I wish to revisit her family lines on their behalf.

I shall look again to get some facts and details down for Abrahams lineage. Perhaps then I can give you some more information.

Thanks

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 July 17 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

With regard to the children of Michael Dalton and his wife Jane Anthony, when I researched that family many years ago I didn't spot the children named Isaac and Abraham, from the site I mentioned in my previous post I did find the marriage for those two children.

Do you have the births or baptisms for Isaac and Abraham?

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Having checked some of my notes I've found a tad more info to add to that in my last post.

Although I haven't been able to find the births or baptism of three Dalton children, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, who are held by some to be children of Michael Dalton and his wife Jane Anthony, I have a little more info on them.

Another Dalton researcher gave me the following info.

The 2nd marriage of Isaac was to Sarah Frances Boltwood 28 April 1840 at Stepney, St Dunstan, apparently the marriage entry named his father as Michael Dalton, Blacksmith.

Isaac's third marriage was to Amy Crow 23 Jul 1843 at Shoreditch, St John the Baptist, that marriage entry also said to have named his father as Michael Dalton, Blacksmith.

The children I found are;-
Rebecca born 13 Sep 1797.
Michael born 30 Aug 1799, buried 1 Mar 1800.
Jane born 13 Oct 1802.
Michael born 15 Jan 1804.
All births and the burial at Coggeshall.

I'd like to make it clear that I'm not disputing that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob belong to Michael Dalton and his wife Jane Anthony, merely that I have not seen birth or baptism entries for them.  If anyone out there has seen the births/baptisms baptisms I'd be very grateful to be advised of them.

Regards.

Offline Boblefrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 July 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Sorry I've been away at the weekend and a little sidetracked. I did go into Coggeshall on Friday to try to jog my memory as much as anything else. I plan to go to the museum there but it is only open Sunday afternoons.
I still haven't found any baptisms on these three which leads me to believe one of the following;
- That those records for some reason were not transcribed. I want to look at the originals in the ERO for the Independent Church in Stoneham Street.

- That they were baptised in another church. Walking around coggeshall it is very clear there were many different churches within a small distance of one another. All of Michael Dalton Snr and Jnr, Abraham and Jacob lived close by to these. I would say it is unlikely given that almost all other records point to the Independent Church but I would like to check it out to be sure.

-They were not baptised. This could be for several reasons. Either they were illegitimate children, likely from the elder siblings or possibly from Michael having a relationship with someone else and being forced to keep the children. Given there are three of them these would seem unlikely. Or the family chose not to baptise them. This has been known to happen but it would appear strange for them to stop suddenly and they are the three youngest children.

- The only other reason I can think of is that for some reason they were baptised and it wasn't recorded. I guess it could happen but unlike big cities like London there are not so many baptisms and it would be terrible luck to miss three!

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest that they are Michael's sons. Apart from the birth dates which seem to run on from the children baptised, and the marriage certificates you described, their census records show them living next door to each other. Abraham and Michael Jnr in back lane 1841 and Jacob and Michael Snr in 1851. I also believe there was one of Isaacs children living with Michael Dalton Snr, I will check this tonight.

As I say I am still updating my records and haven't yet found the "smoking gun" but hopefully a trip to the ERO and coggeshall museum might turn up something.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 July 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
It's certainly a mystery, I'm also wondering if another reason for not finding the births or baptisms is perhaps Michael and Jane moved to another village for a short period of years after say 1804, moving back to Coggeshall a few years later, with the other three children baptised in that other village.  Michael being a master blacksmith would most likely not be bonded to an employer and so be free to move.

I feel that if ever those three baptisms are found it will be by chance, on the whole though I agree with you that it's more likely to be either that they weren't baptised or somehow the baptisms failed to be recorded, although it's stretches the imagination that all three baptisms failed to be recorded.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 July 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
Coggeshall Parish Records/SEAX
Isaac Dalton married Mary Boltwood 21 October 1828 witness Robert Young (the one who married Rebecca Dalton?)
Abraham Dalton married Sarah French 2 February 1826 witness Henry Potter and Rebecca Young (nee Dalton?)

Offline Boblefrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 July 17 17:18 BST (UK) »
Yes Sarah French, thanks amondg. I'd seen that and not written it down. Interestingly we have the families of French, Crow and the site of the Black Horse Inn  (Jacob renamed it The Locomotive). Is there a connection to the Coggeshall gang I wonder?  ???