Author Topic: William John Henry - Police Constable  (Read 1327 times)

Offline mickawinn

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William John Henry - Police Constable
« on: Thursday 22 September 11 14:35 BST (UK) »
I have the above living in Blaydon in 1912 and giving his occupation as Police Constable. I haven't had to look into Police records so can I have some hints as to where to start please.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William John Henry - Police Constable
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 September 11 15:07 BST (UK) »
Generally speaking police records have only survived in a piecemeal fashion. The paper pulping demands of two world wars took their toll, and Police officers have been reluctant to hand over their records for preservation by other agencies. Only the Metropolitan Police are covered by the provisions of the 1958 Public Records Act. I got some details for my great great grandfather who was a policeman in Sunderland from Tyne & Wear Archives.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 September 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
Do you know if he lived in Scotland at any time? There is a reference on the following site to a presentation to a Police

Constable WJ Henry at Ardrossan in 1893 -  http://www.blacksheepindex.co.uk/POLNOTES.htm#TOP (search Major Police Reports Haw-Hie)

and there is a Police Constable William John Henry (aged 40) listed on the 1901 Scotland census with his family in Ayrshire.

Hope this is of help,

mim
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KeithDavison

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Wilfred Johnson - Police Constable/ Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 18 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Stan - is it Wilfred johnson you are referring to?
He was my great grandfather and I am trying to do some research on him as my son is joining the police force next week and thought he would be interested.
All I have been able to find so far is a snippet from the Sunderland Echo about his retirement in 1934.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 March 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
If you Google a website called 'Margaret Hall Genealogy ' you will be able to easily access the Tyne and Wear User Guides.  Look under 'law and order' to see if they may have anything of relevance/interest.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 March 18 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
You are my 2nd Cousin 2 times removed. My great great grandfather who was a policeman in Sunderland was Wake Paxton who was appointed a police constable in Sunderland 11th November 1837. Wilfred Johnson was married to Ethel Mapstone, my 1st cousin one time removed, and is in the 1911 census as a police constable, the family were living "Under Picture Hall, Bridge End, Monkwearmouth", which was later The Bromarsh. I had to pay the Tyne & Wear Archives to research the police records. https://twmuseums.org.uk/collections/research
This is what they have;
Sunderland Borough Constabulary
Established 1836 (see Watch Committee minutes TWAS CB.SU). Integrated into Northumbria Police in 1974.
Personnel records 1939-1967. Chief Constables' annual reports 1950-1957; general orders 1912-1965; attestation book 1837-1865; charge books 1837-1843; information book 1947-1959; summons book 1972-1976; prosecutions at Quarter Sessions and Assizes 1951-1972 [209/636-640, T163, T164, T433]

Stan                                             
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk