Author Topic: Cumbernauld Kirkwood of Waterhead  (Read 3611 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Cumbernauld Kirkwood of Waterhead
« on: Friday 23 September 11 00:43 BST (UK) »
Anyone directly related to James Kirkwood/Jean Steill of the Waterhead farm.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cumbernauld Kirkwood of Waterhead
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 11 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can you give a timescale please
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 September 11 10:42 BST (UK) »
17th and early 18th Century.
Btw I don't need look ups.

Don

Offline Buchan Links

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 17 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello

James Kirkwood and Jean Steill are my 7 x Great grandparents. My direct line is via their son Thomas (born 1722) who was married to Mary Fleeming.  Thomas and Mary had a daughter, Jean (born 1766) who married John Anderson in 1790 (who are my 5 x Great grandparents). 

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 17 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Glad to see at least one branch is still around I was afraid they were all gone.  Our families inter-married several times over the years over the years and I was trying to find out what happened to the Waterhead branch.  I know Thomas/Mary moved into Kirkintilloch but the rest of Thomas’ siblings seem to have melted away after two or three generations.  Many years ago I exchanged emails with a chap in Australia who said he was the ancestor of Ann daughter of James/Jane but I never found a daughter Ann and never heard back so I wasn’t sure if his information was accurate.

William Muirhead/Janet Steill (sister to Jane; were two of the daughters of Thomas Steill/Katherine Martin of Little Drumgray), were my 6 X GG.  We were on the south side of the Loggie across from Waterhead.  Their son William married Janet daughter of James/Jean Steill and it was their son William took over Waterhead after John Kirkwood (James brother) died in 1760.  William became known as Wm Kirkwood and in his will he is identified him as Wm Muirhead alias Wm Kirkwood of Waterhead.

Did you ever come across any other descendants of James/Jane Steill?

Don

Offline Buchan Links

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »
There are many descendants of James Kirkwood & Jean Steill via Jean Kirkwood and John Anderson. Jean & John's son, John (born c.1796) married Isobel Shanks and were at Tannoch on the 1841 census.

John & Isabel's son, John (born c. 1816) was at Wester Waterhead on the 1851 census with his wife Catherine (John & Catherine are my 3x great grandparents).

One of John & Catherine's sons, Thomas, (who was born at Waterhead), ended up in Ardrossan, Ayrshire with his 10 children so I would guess there are descendants of James Kirkwood and Jean Steill in this area also.

With regards to my direct line, this ended up in Aberdeenshire when my great grandmother (who had Kirkwood as part of her name) moved to Peterhead when she married my great grandfather.

If you would like any more details let me know.