Author Topic: william johnston  (Read 4803 times)

Offline kizziemay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
william johnston
« on: Friday 23 September 11 12:15 BST (UK) »
i am trying to find any information on william johnston. i have his son james johnston born1859 at hoddom(1901) census james was married to margaret chalmers 1879 in annan his father named william on marriage certificate cant find birth or death for james or anything for his father.
canonbie little,scott,jackson middlebie;nicol,jardine,cummertrees;johnston,thomson

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: william johnston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
hi  :)

are you saying there is no mother's name on the marriage cert. ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 September 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
kizziemay, I'm a bit confused as well.   

The only James Johnston birth registered in Hoddom in 1859 that I can see is to a father who is a Shoe Maker, and it looks very like David Johnston to me.   The handwriting isn't the greatest and neither am I the world's best decipherer, but I think the mother's name is Mary Johnston, maiden name Steele.  The birth was in May in what looks like Ecclefechan, registered in Hoddam.
The reference is GROS 829/00 0026

If your James named his father as William on his marriage certificate it may be that this birth isn't his, but seems to be the only one in Hoddam that year.    Can you clarify which original certificates you've looked at so we don't duplicate?   Thanks

Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline kizziemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
sorry, i should have said that he was married in annan on the m/certificate his father is william and his mother is janet nee johnston. i have not got a birth certificate for him but the 1901 census says born in hoddom he was living at redkirk near gretna then
canonbie little,scott,jackson middlebie;nicol,jardine,cummertrees;johnston,thomson

Offline kizziemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 September 11 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,
                      I got James and Margaret's marriage certificate off Scotlands People but cant find anything else they are my great g/parents, I have also looked on family search but cant find them there
                                                   Kizziemay

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 September 11 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I just had a look at that 1901 census return as well.  As you say, Hoddam.

So the facts we seem to have are:
- The James in the 1901 census is married to Margaret, living in Gretna and giving his birthplace as Hoddam.
- The marriage you have to Margaret Chalmers shows William as James's father.
- There is a birth for a James Johnston in Hoddam in 1859, but he is not the son of William and Janet, but the son of David and Mary.  

Logic says we are looking at 2 different James Johnstons here, and to complicate the issue there is no guarantee that Johnston / Johnstone / Johnson is always spelled the same way in the records over the years, depends entirely on who gave the information and who wrote it down.

To separate the strands, because I'm sure it will be possible to find 'your' James, can you start at the last definite thing you had?  Who is James, in that is he your gr.grandfather or similar and what is the oldest absolute thing you know, like the year of his death, or the birth of his descendants?  

I think we need to start from the oldest definite, then go backwards one step at a time because whilst I can see that the 1901 census James can be the boy born at Hoddom, I don't think the James who married in 1879 can be, unless he swapped fathers somewhere along the way.  

Conversely, it's perfectly possible that 1901 James and 1879 James are the same chap, but then that would rule out the 1859 birth...

Maddening, but then that's half the fun!    

Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 September 11 13:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry, we crossed!   They are your great-grandparents, so that's great.  Who was the child of theirs who was your grandparent, and what year were they born?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 September 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
are james and margaret on the 1881 census in cumberland england(IGI) ?
children robert age 2 and jane age 1
all born dumfries

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline kizziemay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 September 11 14:04 BST (UK) »
I think that is them,they must have moved to Gretna after that as my grandad Alexander was born there in 1897