Author Topic: Walter Acton Osborn HOWE - any info.  (Read 3476 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Acton Osborn HOWE - any info.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 September 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately he does not seem to have used his second and third forenames.  Plenty of a variety of records for plain Walter HOWEs but I couldn't see anything with the extra names.  :(

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 September 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
Judith

Thanks for looking.  It's so often the way that when you think you may be able to find something, it proves to be elusive!

Slipper
Mawby, Warwickshire: Osborne, Gloucestershire & Brixton; Porter, Woolwich; Cocksedge, Badwell Ash; Carrier, Trowbridge.

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 July 17 02:59 BST (UK) »
Are you still looking for Walter?
His brother Professor George W O Howe visited Adelaide 1914
Walter Joseph Osbourne Howe and Frances Louise Action - children
George WO 1875
Walter AO 1877
Francis JO 1880
Charles Ambrose Osborn Howe 1885
Frederick VO 1889
............. Alison Howe

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 July 17 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alison.  I have never found the death of Walter A O Howe.  I knew about the trip to Australia of George Howe in 1914 and wondered if there was some link to the death of his brother but I have nothing substantive to prove it.

Slipper
Mawby, Warwickshire: Osborne, Gloucestershire & Brixton; Porter, Woolwich; Cocksedge, Badwell Ash; Carrier, Trowbridge.

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
HOWE family
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 July 17 08:07 BST (UK) »
Do you know much about this family?
Trying to trace back a little to see if there is any link - our James Howe is a mystery
I noticed from 1874 marriage of Walter Joseph Osborne Howe and Frances Louisa Acton - the father of Walter is listed as Charles Osborne (deceased) farrier
So I wondered if this was an error or how did Walter get the name Howe - did his mother remarry?
Do you have a birth record for him?   
suggested as 1852 Burton, Stadfordshire  ............. Alison

Offline Slipper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 July 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

I do know about this family as Charles Ambrose Osborn Howe was my grandfather.  Walter Joseph Osborne was born in Brixton in 1852 to Charles Osborne and his wife Mary (nee Kenney).  Charles died about 3 years later.  I've never found Mary's death but the family story is that Walter was left an orphan and was brought up by relatives.  In the 1861 census, Walter is living with George Howe and his wife, Johannah (nee Kenney).  Walter continued to live with them until his marriage and in later censuses was described as 'son'.  He took the Howe name but the Osborn was also retained.

Walter's birth was registered by his mother who was illiterate and consequently the spelling of Osborne was recorded as Osborn and her surname, Kenney, was recorded as Henney.

Unfortunately, I don't know too much about George Howe except that his full name was George Henry Howe and he was born in St Pancras c1815.  He died in Greenwich 20.5.1899.

Slipper

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Acton Osborn HOWE
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 July 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation - all makes sense now     We had thought Walter's mother might have remarried          The records never give the social history, hope you have recorded the family story somewhere for later generations to understand
Interestingly how there is now a whole lot of people with Howe as a surname from such a sad situation of being orphaned then gains another whole family - his auntie obviously cared about him
Thanks for sharing all the details, regards ............ Alison