Author Topic: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry  (Read 65259 times)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 16:21 BST (UK) »
I had the same problem when I was searching the  Drumachose Co I records in Limavady. I asked a number of people, one of whom was a C of I minister but even he didn't know.

I personally think it may stand for Non Conformist i.e. Anyone who did not belong to the Established Church but I could be totally wrong.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 23:38 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what (n.c.) means after a Christian name in relation to a Baptismal Record from The Latter Day Saints.  Also I see (n.d.) after some Christian names.
I had the same problem when I was searching the  Drumachose Co I records in Limavady. I asked a number of people, one of whom was a C of I minister but even he didn't know.

I personally think it may stand for Non Conformist i.e. Anyone who did not belong to the Established Church but I could be totally wrong.

Has anyone asked the LDS ? 

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Main_Page

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Help:Guiding_principles_and_policies   (There's a search box there, perhaps try using keyword 'abbreviations' may be a starting point )

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Friday 17 April 15 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tips.  I will reply back when I find out what it means.  Maybe it will help someone else.

Glenys

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Monday 25 May 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
 I recently attended a family history seminar and made an enquiry about the abbreviation n.c. 

I was told it meant no charge. 

Glenys

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Monday 15 June 15 11:11 BST (UK) »
I am wanting some help with a headstone inscription photo.  I have tried to copy what I can read.  I cannot say if there is Ferguson on it but I think I can read uson and some of the dates could be relevant to the Ferguson's.  John is on it.  A long shot.  It is from Drumachose C of I. 

Should I place the photo here hoping someone recognises it or put it on the photograph decipher, restoration site, or both?  Thanks for your advice.   

Glenys

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Monday 15 June 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
I have four transcriptions for Ferguson from this graveyard.
The one with John reads as follows:

FERGUSON Julia D15 Nov 1882  - 22 - John D 13 Sept 1888 - 73 - His wife Mary D 8 Feb 1907 - 86. - Their Dau Margaret D 12 April 1907 - 42

Hope this helps.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Monday 15 June 15 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cyclamen for replying.  I have many records from this church for the Ferguson's.  It is linking the family members and I thought if this was a Ferguson headstone it could hold some valuable information.  The dates are 1830's , 1850's. What I am after.

The photo is large 5MB.  If I reduce it then it will be impossible to read.  Any suggestions?  If anyone is interested I can send the photo by email.

Glenys

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Friday 17 July 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
I found this on old Irish Wills.  A Will for James Ferguson 25 April 1791
Does the Parish refer to Christchurch Parish Drumachose?
I assume Janet is his wife and the other names mentioned are his children.  Do you agree?
What does Narrate Y p 10 Nov.2 1810 mean?

FERGUSON, JAMES, Kenaghs, parish of Drumachose, Co. Londonderry. 25 April 1791. Narrate Y p. 10 Nov. 2 1810.

To Janet Ferguson all the houses and lands he possessed in the townlands of Kennaughs she keeping his family together provided she did not marry. To his eldest son Rob Ferguson one half of his lands and the other half of his son John, they paying five guineas to his daughters Mary, Janet and Elizabeth Ferguson, and four pounds ten shillings to his daughter Ann Ferguson. Exors. Wm. Ross and John Alexander, Newtown Limavady. Witnesses: John Miller, Bolea, Saml. McClelland and James Ferguson, both of Kenaghts. Memorial witnessed by: said Saml. McClelland and Ed. Boyle, Newtown Limavady. 630,128,431619 John Ferguson (seal) Sworn at Newtown Limavady 1 Nov. 1810.

Thank you.

Glenys

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Monday 11 April 16 18:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry to bring this back to the Osbornes again – I did think of posting a new thread, but then I thought it’d have to be in the general Ireland forum, because this strays into Counties Antrim and Down…

I have finally found an exact date for the marriage of my ggg grandparents Samuel Osborne McCausland and Jane Killen:

Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 9 Jul 1825:
At Ballymena, on Tuesday, the 5th inst. by the Rev. Joseph Osborne, of Newtownards, Mr. SAMUEL McCAUSLAND, of Belfast, to JANE, third daughter of Mr. John Killen, Ballymena.

What I’d like to do now is find the church marriage record (if one survives) because I’d like some proof that Samuel’s father was called William (as recorded by family tradition). 

Should I be looking to Ballymena or Newtownards?

I was actually looking for newspaper clippings for “Joseph Osborne” when I found the above notice.  This is more evidence that the families are linked (again, I lack the proof). 

Looking at what I currently have on the Osbornes, it looks like the Rev. Joseph Osborne was either an uncle or a 1st cousin twice removed of my Samuel O McCausland.  I shall explain why I’m confused about this on a separate post…