Author Topic: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry  (Read 63715 times)

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Staying in Limavady.  Can someone please help me here.

Is it possible to view papers and see who owned properties in Limavady between 1700 and 1840 and the names of the people who paid rent to the owners?  Were these owners, Estate Owners?  Do the records still remain and would they be in PRONI?  I am thinking of Catherine Street but not just that one.

What about people who lived between Limavady and Bovevagh?  They would have rented their little bit of land also and those bits of land would they have been divided up from a larger estate???  If available is it possible to view the name of the tenants and dates and would they be in PRONI?

Was most of the land only owned by a small number of Estate Owners?

Thank you.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
The whole of the Limavady estate, from Ballyquin on the Dungiven road to the mouth of the river Roe was taken over from the Phillips family by a Mr. Connolly in 1698. I have a map of the whole estate showing the town and the surrounding countryside dated 1699 and giving the names of the tenants and the amount of land they held. If you give me the names you are looking for I will check to see if any come up.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Thursday 15 February 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kingskerwell for your reply.  Is there mention of a tenant Robert Ferguson?

I am trying to find any information on Robert Ferguson, who lived in Kenaught, NLimavady and was buried in the Parish of Drumachose on 25 August 1838 at the age of 70. This is all I know of him.

Glenys

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Thursday 15 February 18 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Glenys,
          There is no Ferguson listed as renting a property directly from Mr. Connolly in the town but several people rented several properties and undoubtedly sub-let to other tenants. However in the section entitled      "Parkes of Newtoun Lemavadie  1699" there are two Fergusons, James Fferguson who rented land of 6 acres and 15 perches and a William Fforgison who rented 5 acres 2 roods and 14 perches of arable land and 5 acres 3 roods and 18 perches of bog and heath.
note - I have used the original spelling. It may be significant that these properties are adjacent to one another on either side of a track which would be Irishgreen Street today and approximately where the Roman Catholic church stands.

Regards       
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Thursday 15 February 18 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kingskerswell.  Love the spelling of Newtoun Lemavadie.   Interesting that these two properties are adjacent to each other.

Any idea of the population of Limavady around 1700?

Still looking for information on Robert Ferguson, who lived in Kenaught, NLimavady and was buried in the Parish of Drumachose on 25 August 1838 at the age of 70. This is all I know of him.

Regards

Glenys

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 15:13 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on Alexander Ferguson born 18 October 1846.  Son of William Leckey Ferguson born 31.3.1805 & Mary Jane Given.

When William Leckey Ferguson, Mary Jane & some of their children arrived in Australia in 1863 it states that Alexander didn't come out with them.  He was married and remained in Ireland. Then I see it is written he died 29 December 1874 in Ipswich.

I found a record for a daughter named Anne being born to a Alexander & Elisabeth Ferguson at Drumachose on 16.9.1874.  Not sure if this the same Alexander.

Then there is this death in Queensland just over 3 months later so not sure if it is the same person, taking into account the travel time, but not knowing the circumstances or movements of the above Alexander and Elisabeth at this time.

If anyone can help if there were other children and did they survive or if they know anything on Alexander I would be very appreciative.

Many thanks  Glenys 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 17:17 BST (UK) »
This record? https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F5TT-8MY
No such birth showing in GRONI’s database or Irish Genealogy

The closest birth registration is this one-
Annie Ferguson, born 9 June 1874 Ballyclose Limavady, parents Alexander (loom tenter) & Annie McKay
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1874/03153/2156801.pdf

I also can't find a marriage for Alexander Ferguson (son of William Lecky Ferguson) in the Newtownlimavady area 1863 or earlier. Closest one is this couple-
Alexander Ferguson to Margaret Jane Moore (1863 Coleraine district) but his father is a Frederick Ferguson.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FGZW-HRR
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Thursday 25 April 19 12:04 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, thank you for the links you sent me.  I will look over them. 

Glenys

Offline FionaMcDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Monday 19 August 19 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Cyclamen,

Could you possibly post transcriptions of the other headstones you mentioned.  I photographed a Ferguson headstone at Christchurch, Drumachose, with the names Elizabeth, Matthew and James, but I can't make out any other details, so would love to know more.

The family for the transcription you posted is John Ferguson, born c1815, lived in Ballykelly, occupation, Mason.  He married Mary Glenn, born c1827 (death cert says she was 80 when she died, not 86).  Their daughter Margaret was born on 20 Nov 1864, and her death was registered by a married sister called Isabella Hunter.  I have not yet traced Isabella's marriage.  Mary and Margaret were living in house number 19, Ballykelly at the time of the 1901 Census.

I have four transcriptions for Ferguson from this graveyard.
The one with John reads as follows:

FERGUSON Julia D15 Nov 1882  - 22 - John D 13 Sept 1888 - 73 - His wife Mary D 8 Feb 1907 - 86. - Their Dau Margaret D 12 April 1907 - 42

Hope this helps.
Newtownards - McDonald, MacDonald, McDonnell, McIlroy, McElroy, O'Neill, Snodden, McClurg, Wallace, Scott
Hilltown/Rathfriland - Magill, Young, Truesdale, Hall, McMahon, Stewart, McIlroy, Hanna, Stranaghan, Hood
Limavady area - Ferguson, Cunningham, Irwin, Smith, McFetridge
Belfast - Harbinson (+ Doagh, Co Antrim) Lawther, Halliday, Rolleston, Rolston, Ralston (+ Keady, Co Armagh)
Ballyrashane/Coleraine area - McAfee, Cochrane
Glenarm - Murphy
Moy/Dungannon - Simons, Hobson, Lutton, McWilliams