Author Topic: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry  (Read 65291 times)

Offline canberraterry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson, Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Princess41,

My great great grandmother was Jane Cunningham (nee Ferguson). Jane was born at Gortnessy in 1829 and married Samuel Cunningham at Gortnessy Meeting House, Glendermott on 17 Feb 1847. She died in 1893.
Jane was the daughter of Daniel (1789-1862) and Hannah Ferguson (as far as I know nee Hassan but I am not certain of that). They married about 1809 or 1810 I think. Daniel was born in Argyll, Scotland in 1789, and died in 1862. Hannah was born, possibly in Wales, in 1792 and died in 1870, but again I am not 100% certain that I have the correct Hannah.
Does this sound like one of your Fergusons?

Cheers,
Terry
Humble, Cunningham, Ferguson, Browne, Smith, Brabazon, Pincombe, Black, Mackie, White

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 December 11 14:15 GMT (UK) »
canberraterry

I don't think there are any links with the details you have provided.  Keep searching and good luck.

Offline George_Speer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ferguson - OSBORNE of Newtown Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 January 12 01:36 GMT (UK) »
My OSBORNE'S are from Newtownlimavady, Altmover, Dungiven and Bovevagh Parish, Londonderry.

This would have to be a match.  But I don't know how.

William H. Ferguson married Ellenor Osborne on 17 Nov 1837 at Bovevagh Presbyterian Church, Newtownlinavady (nowadays officially known as Limavady)

Who are the parents of Helen-Ellen-Elenor Osborne?

In my research it looks like she would/could be the daughter of William Osborne and Martha Ledlie?

George Speer

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Northern Ireland:  Speer  Phair  Presley  Harper  Armstrong  Edwards  Osborne  Douglas Ledlie  Clark  Smyth  (Hopkins of Swansea, Wales)  and many more...

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 January 12 12:39 GMT (UK) »
RE  FERGUSON & OSBORNE FAMILIES   (LIMAVADY, DRUMACHOSE, LONDONDERRY)

WILLIAM -WILLIAM KING FERGUSON & ELLEN-ELLEN JANE-HELEN-ELLENOR OSBORNE.  (VARIATIONS)

MY GREAT GRANDFATHER EDWARD AUGUSTUS FERGUSON (BORN Drumachose 4.9.1838)

Greetings from Australia George.

Thank you for your enquiry.  I am very interested.

The Irish research has been very difficult.  It would be wonderful if we could find a link to the Ferguson, Osborne families.  I will tell you what I have and hope you or someone in Ireland can do some work on this and help both of us out.  My Brother & I have been on this for 35 years.  It is very, very difficult in Australia and we have sought help many years ago but it led nowhere.

I have a recorded birth for Edward Augustus Ferguson (4.9.1838) stating his Father was William King Ferguson and his Mother was Ellen Jane (nee Osborne.)  The birth was in Drumachose, Londonderry, Nth. Ireland. (Taken from the Established Church, which is Church of England, sometimes known as Church of Ireland of the Drumachose Parish Records.)

The Marriage Certificate for Edward Augustus Ferguson ( 2.10.1867, Maryborough, Queensland, Australia) states his Father was William Ferguson and his Mother Ellen Osborne.  It states his birthplace was Newton, Limavady, Derry, Ireland.  William's Profession was a Hatter.

The Death Certificate for Edward Augustus Ferguson (20.5.1918 Dunwich Benevolent Asylum, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)  states his Father is William Ferguson and his Mother is Ellen Osborne.  It states he was born in Londonderry.

OTHER INFORMATION which may help.  I think there could be a link to William King Ferguson living at 63 Catherine Street, Newton, Limavady.  This appeared in one the Census.

This is not certain because we don't have proof but it could be that Ellen Jane Osborne may have been the second wife of William King Ferguson.  Did she marry someone who had a previous marriage?

We do not have a marriage certificate for Ellen Osborne & William Ferguson.  We do not know when she died. We do not have death certificates.  We do not have birth records for Ellen Osborne or William King.  However, in the graveyard at Drumachose, Limavady there is a William King buried 28.9.1839 aged 76 years.  If you have a record of Ellen or (whatever her proper Christian name is), when was she born?

The past family says that Edward Augustus Ferguson came to Australia some time in the 1850's with his Grandma and we think if that is correct it would have to be the Mother of Ellen Osborne.  They were supposed to go to the State of Victoria, Australia to work in the family business.  Do you know if that ties in with your family history?  Are you aware of any Osborne's in your family who moved to Australia?  The earliest record I can find of Edward in Australia is about 1861/1862 in Queensland.  I cannot find his Immigration record.  Help, help, help.  I know lots about him in Queensland. 

It would be absolutely fantastic Gerry if after all these decades we can get a breakthrough. 

If anyone out there can help, please, it would be very much appreciated.

Princess

Glenys

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 January 12 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The only records you will find for your ancestors are those available in church records where these exist. Civil registration of Protestant marriages did not start in Ireland until 1845 (Catholic marriages in 1864) and all birth registration in 1864 so these dates are the start of marriage and birth certificates.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 January 12 14:31 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be a bit of confusion about the church "Taken from the Established Church, which is Church of England, sometimes known as Church of Ireland of the Drumachose Parish Records"

Christ Church, Limavady is Church of Ireland and was at one time the Established (i.e. State) Church (Church of England is in England) and the old name for Limavady was Newtownlimavady. Drumachose is the name of the Parish not to be confused with Drumachose Presbyterian Church or the old Drumachose burying-ground outside of Limavady.

http://ireland.anglican.org/information/dioceses/parish/11280
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11287317@N04/2725799569/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 January 12 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Could this possibley be Edward's father?
From the Coleraine Chronicle.
30-Mar-67
'At Ipswich, Queensland, on the 24th December last, William Ferguson, formerly of Newtownlimavady, county of Londonderry, aged 60 years.'

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline princess41

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 January 12 06:41 GMT (UK) »
There are many William Ferguson's.  I don't know the birth date of our William Ferguson who married Ellen or Elleanor Osborne yet. 
I have very much appreciated the last three emails because it helped me understand many things like names of places and the church set up so thank you for that. 

Princess
Glenys

Offline George_Speer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson - Osborne, Newton Limavady, Londonderry
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 January 12 06:45 GMT (UK) »
I cant find a match for your William Ferguson who married Ellen or Elleanor Osborne.

Does your Ferguson Family marry into the Ledlie Family?

George Speer
Northern Ireland:  Speer  Phair  Presley  Harper  Armstrong  Edwards  Osborne  Douglas Ledlie  Clark  Smyth  (Hopkins of Swansea, Wales)  and many more...