Author Topic: Waters Upton Monumental Inscriptions  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
  • I used to think genealogy was the study of genies.
    • View Profile
Waters Upton Monumental Inscriptions
« on: Sunday 25 September 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
Over the relatively short time that I have been researching family history, I have benefited enormously from the efforts of those amazing volunteers who have given up their time to transcribe records of various descriptions. During my recent stay in Shrewsbury I found the Monumental Inscription (or MI) transcriptions deposited at Shropshire Archives particularly helpful and would like to place on record my thanks to all those involved in their production.

In an attempt to give a little back to the family history community from which I have taken so much, while I was at Waters Upton St Michael's I decided to photograph all the stones with legible inscriptions (not just the one that was of interest to me). My intention was to transcribe the inscriptions and put that data online at Find A Grave, along with the photos (enhanced to make the inscriptions on them as legible as possible). This I have now done, and a bit more besides, as I could not resist trying to find out more about the people whose deaths were commemorated. The inscriptions and photos are therefore accompanied by further information such as census, parish register and probate data.

The surnames on the stones (and the maiden names of the married women where I have been able to find them) are:

Ball - Arthur, Charlotte, Emma, John, Sarah (Cureton).

Beaman - Emma (Gregory), Richard.

Blantern - John, Mary Ann (Slack), Robert.

Buttery - Elizabeth Beatrice.

Cornes - Joseph.

Cureton - Elizabeth (Buttrey), Thomas.

Davies - Andrew Taylor, Annie May, Admiral Sir Arthur John, Rev. John Bayley, Marjorie Eileen, Susan Anslow (Juckes).

Dickin - William.

Dulson - Ann (BIshton), Charles.

Fisk - Annie (Waring), Thomas.

Foulkes/Foulks - Mary Ann (formerly Martin, maiden name not known).

Gregory - James.

Hobson - John, Rev. Samuel.

Hyde - Margaret.

James - Joseph.

Jenkins - Elizabeth, John, Jane (Evans).

Jones - Joseph.

Lawrence - Ann Britton (Meredith).

Martin - Edith Amy, Elizabeth, Jane, John.

Matthews - Ann, John, William.

Meredith - Martha.

Morgan - Arthur, George, Sarah, William.

Owen - John.

Pascall - Sarah.

Rawlings - John, Sarah.

Rider - John, Sarah (Tennant).

Ridgway - Alfred, Ann (Jones), Harriet Mayne (Knott), Janes, Sarah Ann (Woolley).

Swinnerton - Mary Ann (Blantern).

Titley - John, Mary (Atcherley).

Tompkin - Robert.

Walker - Ann.

Woolley - Mary (Pascall), Richard, Robert.

Wylde - John, Lucy (Strefford).

I hope some of this will be of use or interest to someone, somewhere!

Link: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GScid=2417760

Steve
Atcherley: all locations. Jones and Price: Shrops. Thacker, Gilbert, Hall, Bratton, Myatt, Hawkins, Richards, Tomkinson/Tonkinson, Roden - all Staffs (Church Eaton / Eccleshall / Ellenhall / Gnosall / High Offley / Seighford areas). Jackson: Abbots Bromley & Aston/Birmingham. Talbot: Abbots Bromley, Staffs. Arnott: Oxfordshire.  Lawrence: Birmingham. Bason: Warks. Arlidge/Aldridge: Northants/Oxon. Thornborough: Warks.

Offline mrbtw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waters Upton Monumental Inscriptions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 June 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
I have just discovered this forum whilst doing some research into the Juckes family tree. I immediately saw the link to the Atcherley.org site as I had already found Frances Elizabeth during my research. I have a couple of questions if that's okay?
1. I spotted on your list below the memorial for Susan Anslow Juckes Davies. I note that she is the daughter of Richard Juckes. Is he the Richard b.1825, son of Richard and Frances Elizabeth?
2. Do you happen to know why the name Anslow appears in Susan's name? My own mother's maiden name is Anslow, and I am also researching that family tree. It would be incredible if 2 of my areas of research were to be linked!!

Many thanks for any help you can give.
Kind regards,
Andrew Bytheway

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 June 15 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Richard Juckes, son of Richard Juckes and Frances Elizabeth Atcherley, married Selina Savage at Pontesbury on 10 Apr 1855: Richard Juckes, 30, Bachelor, Farmer, Alberbury, father Richard Juckes, Farmer; and Selina Savage, 21, Spinster, Moat Hall, father Thomas Savage, Farmer. Licence/Banns not specified. Both signed. Witnesses John Savage, Emma Juckes. Copy viewed at Shropshire Archives.

Richard Juckes, father of Susan Anslow Juckes (later Davies), married twice as follows:

23 Sep 1844 at Eyton on the Wild Moors. Richard Juckes | of age | Bachelor | Yeoman | High Earcall | Charles Juckes | Yeoman; Susan Anslow | of age | Spinster | at home | Eyton | Samuel Anslow | Yeoman. By licence. Both signed. Witnesses Thos Turner, W Anslow, Thomas Turner Junr

(Susan Juckes nee Anslow, abode Cotwall, age 26, was buried at High Ercall 28 Jan 1846, probably dying during or soon after childbirth. She was baptised, as Susannah, at Wellington, Shropshire, 13 Sep 1818. Susannah | Samuel & Ann | Anslow | Market Place | Inn Keeper)

7 Mar 1848 at High Ercall. Richard Juckes | of Full age | Widower | Farmer | Cotwall | Charles Juckes | Farmer; Mary Rider | of Full age | Spinster | - | Crudgington | John Rider | Farmer. Witnesses John Rider, Wm Rider, Jas Wilding, Elizabeth Rider, Margaret Rider, Sarah Rider.

Mary appeared with Richard on the 1851 census and some have taken her to be the mother of Susan Anslow Juckes.

Susan Anslow Juckes was baptised at High Ercall 3 Mar 1846: Susan Anslow | Richard & Susan | Juckes | Cotwall | Farmer

I have tentatively traced your Anslow ancestry back to your 3x great grandfather William Anslow, an agricultural labourer born around 1801 in Bradley, Staffordshire. I can see no obvious connection with the Anslow family in Shropshire but can't rule out a link.

Hope this info is of help.

Steve

PS - I should have added the baptism details for Richard Juckes, son of Charles Juckes. 13 Feb 1820 at High Ercall. Richard Son of | Charles [&] Mary | Juckes | Cottwall | Farmer.

And having added that ...

6 Apr 1815, High Ercall: "Charles Juckes of this Parish and Mary Juckes of the Parish of Childs Ercall were married in this Church by Lycence". Both signed. Witnesses Mary Juckes, Jno Juckes Senr, Rachel Adams, Jno Juckes Junr

I think Charles Juckes was baptised at High Ercall on 22 Dec 1786, father also named Charles. His mother was likely Mary Randle, who Charles Juckes senior married at High Ercall on 10 Jul 1781. Charles senior also had a son named Richard Juckes, baptised at High Ercall 9 Aug 1792. This was the Richard Juckes who married Frances Elizabeth Atcherley.
Atcherley: all locations. Jones and Price: Shrops. Thacker, Gilbert, Hall, Bratton, Myatt, Hawkins, Richards, Tomkinson/Tonkinson, Roden - all Staffs (Church Eaton / Eccleshall / Ellenhall / Gnosall / High Offley / Seighford areas). Jackson: Abbots Bromley & Aston/Birmingham. Talbot: Abbots Bromley, Staffs. Arnott: Oxfordshire.  Lawrence: Birmingham. Bason: Warks. Arlidge/Aldridge: Northants/Oxon. Thornborough: Warks.

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 June 15 13:13 BST (UK) »
I should add that since my original post back in 2011, I have started a Waters Upton One Place Study

The Waters Upton OPS website features the photos and information I posted on Find A Grave plus a variety of other records. I hope to add more, plus stories on the people who lived at Waters Upton, when I can fit it in between my Atcherley family research and tracing my other ancestors!

If anybody has any information, stories or photos relating to past residents of Waters Upton which I could share via the website, I would be pleased to receive them!

Steve

Offline mrbtw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 June 15 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
Thanks so much for your kind reply and all the information that you have provided, it's most helpful.
Your 'tentative' research is correct, William is indeed my 3x great grandfather. I have his father as Richard Anslow (b.1780). Could it be possible that Susan Anslow's father Samuel was also son of Richard?? All my immediate ancestors (Bytheway/Anslow) are from the Wellington area.
Thanks again,
Andrew

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 June 15 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

I suspect that Susan's father was the Samuel Anslow who married Ann Turner by licence at Wellington, Shropshire on 22 Apr 1808. That would put his birth at around 1788 or before, making Richard Anslow born 1780 a very unlikely candidate for his father.

Steve

Offline mrbtw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 June 15 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Apologies, I meant brother to Richard b.1780 and son of Richard (H)anslow b.1751.

Andrew

Offline Atcherley.org.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Sorry for the delay in responding. My gut feeling is that Richard and Samuel were not brothers, but I've not been able to find evidence which would confirm things one way or the other.

Steve

Offline mrbtw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
No problem at all. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I agree, I have the same feeling, it would be a bit of a stretch.
Oddly, whilst poking around online this morning, I came across another Juckes/Anslow marriage. Elizabeth E Juckes and Edward Anslow, Q3 1919, Ludlow! Small world!
Thanks again,
Andrew