Author Topic: John Thomas and son Samuel  (Read 4859 times)

Offline cmclayton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Christine M Clayton
    • View Profile
John Thomas and son Samuel
« on: Sunday 25 September 11 21:11 BST (UK) »
Morning all,

I have found my Samuel Thomas in 1851 widow, living in England a retired merchant birth place London, but are lead to believe his father is a John Thomas from Lampeter Co Cardigan.  I have found admin papers (no will) for Samuel, which I have ordered.  So are really just looking for some help, or someone who has Samuel and John in their tree.  Sorry I don't have anymore details on these two.

Thanks heaps Christine in New Zealand
BALDOCK.....TICKNER - Sussex & New Zealand.   CATE - Hampshire & New Zealand.   James Henry CLAYTON - Middlesex & New Zealand.   DASSLER / SCHMIDT / TISCH - Germany & New Zealand.   HESTER - London & New Zealand.   MILLS - Gloucestershire & New Zealand.   RYE - Kent & New Zealand.   Samuel THOMAS and daughter Katherine Elizabeth THOMAS - London

Offline cmclayton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Christine M Clayton
    • View Profile
Re: John Thomas and son Samuel
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 11 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Forgot to add that Samuel is born between 1773 and 1777.  When he marries Sarah Rance on the 7 Feb 1808 St Peter Le Poer he is already a widower, and spends most of his life in Cornhill, Samuel dies on the 30 Mar 1861 in Chelsea, out living his second wife.

Thanks heaps Christine
BALDOCK.....TICKNER - Sussex & New Zealand.   CATE - Hampshire & New Zealand.   James Henry CLAYTON - Middlesex & New Zealand.   DASSLER / SCHMIDT / TISCH - Germany & New Zealand.   HESTER - London & New Zealand.   MILLS - Gloucestershire & New Zealand.   RYE - Kent & New Zealand.   Samuel THOMAS and daughter Katherine Elizabeth THOMAS - London

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Christine  :)

You could try searching the National Library of Wales Pre-1858 Wills index for a John Thomas in Llanbedr Pont Steffan (Welsh name for Lampeter). Then find out if any of them have a son named Samuel, but this would obviously not be conclusive because it is such a common name.  ::)

NLW Wills:
http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=487

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline cmclayton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Christine M Clayton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Morgan,

Going a searching now  ;D

Offline cmclayton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Christine M Clayton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 00:34 BST (UK) »
Back again with my John Thomas and son Samuel Thomas

Are getting myself confused with place names, hoping someone can help.

From a data sheet that was compiled in 1925 .... Samuel is the son of John Thomas of Lampeter Co Cardigan, Samuel also bore the arms of the family of Thomas of Carmarthen.

Then from an Australian death notice of Frederick William Thomas son of Samuel dated Sep 1905 ..... Frederick is the youngest son of the late Samuel Thomas "Llannon" Monmouthshire and Carmarthenshire Wales and Hyde Park Gardens London.

If someone can please point me in the right direction regarding place names which I can then google search, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks heaps Christine

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hello again  :)

There is a Llannon Parish in Carmarthenshire:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Llannon/

and in that Parish, there was a Thomas family who lived at Lletty Mawr from Tudor times, when Trahearne ap Thomas was recorded as living there. There is still a "Thomas Arms" at nearby Llanelli, Carms.

http://llanelli-history.co.uk/people_goring_thomas.htm

However, the name is not unusual, and the info you have given is a little confusing.

Best Wishes
Morgan

Offline cmclayton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Christine M Clayton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 01:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Morgan, for some new links.

My Samuel Thomas was born c.1777 would be excellent to confirm his family.  He is my brickwall.

Please tell me what information you think is a little confusing, because it is totally doing my head in.

Thanks heaps Christine

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Christine  :)

The conflicting information makes it sound like at least 2 different people  :-\

According to the info in the thread, Samuel was living in England in 1851, born London, spends most of his life in Cornhill, died in Chelsea, son of John of Lampeter, Cardiganshire, entitled to arms of the Thomas family of Carmarthen, and of  "Llannon" Monmouthshire and Carmarthenshire Wales and Hyde Park Gardens London.

.... Samuel Thomas in 1851 widow, living in England a retired merchant birth place London, but are lead to believe his father is a John Thomas from Lampeter Co Cardigan.

.....spends most of his life in Cornhill, Samuel dies on the 30 Mar 1861 in Chelsea....

Samuel is the son of John Thomas of Lampeter Co Cardigan, Samuel also bore the arms of the family of Thomas of Carmarthen.

..... Frederick is the youngest son of the late Samuel Thomas "Llannon" Monmouthshire and Carmarthenshire Wales and Hyde Park Gardens London.

I'll give it some more thought and post again if I can help
Kindest regards
Morgan

Offline cmclayton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Christine M Clayton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 April 12 23:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Morgan, your help is appreciated.

I see what you mean :-).