Author Topic: Norgwegian Research Help please- COMPLETED  (Read 1857 times)

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Norgwegian Research Help please- COMPLETED
« on: Monday 26 September 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hello all, 

Am trying to do some of the above research,  and have no idea where to start,  the person i am looking in to was born 1921ish,  so is quite recent, 

Any Ideas ? ?

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Norgwegian Research Help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 September 11 10:46 BST (UK) »
Usual starting points:
Don't give us information about possible living persons
Collect all the information you can about the person in the location they moved to - marriage, death, naturalisation/immigration records, military/employment records if relevant - anything that might give you a more accurate birth date, more accurate birth place, or names of relatives.
Check for other Norwegian immigrants in the area - they might be relatives or from the same area originally.
Knowing a more detailed location in the country of origin always helps.

Latest released Norwegian census is 1910:
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_e.aspx
If the surname of the person you are looking for might be from a farm name rather than patronymic (e.g. not a name ending "sen"), it would be worth checking the 1910 to see how common it is/where it might comes from/if there is a farm with that name, etc.

http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/ - the digital archives has some emigration records (up to 1930s) and if you know the location may have digitised parish registers for the 1920s.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janrm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Pre 1905 Union flag, "Sildesalaten"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 11 11:05 BST (UK) »

There is an 80-year protection of privacy ban on online Parish Registers, so a person born 1921 should be possible to find.

J
"Doing Norway and a bit Sweden...!"

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 11 11:14 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the replys. 

I am really trying to find / confirm his death,  he was born in Christiansand, (or Kristionsund) West-Agder, Norway  I have names of nephews and sister etc,   but cant find him,  He was a seaman. I found a record of him as a deck hand on a boat going to New York as a deck hand.
 In the 1940s,  ( he married 1944 in UK )   but i cant see him in USA....

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Some possible sources:
1. You should be able to locate his birth (look for the digitised parish registers, Vest-Agder and then Kristiansand). Having his date of birth might help (e.g. to look for him on US records like the SSDI, even if his name changed somewhat).

2. If he went to the US as a deck hand post-WWII, that by no means meant he stayed there. If the ship he was sailing on was British registered, you should check the Fifth Register of Seamen at the National Archives:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/merchant-seamen-sea-service-1913-1972.htm

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 September 11 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jorose and janrm

Together with the google translator   i looked at those sites,  and still couldnt really work them out,  :)

You are correct he may have stayed in USA,  UK,  or even returned to Norway,  i know his sister went to USA,  and from family story...married and then had 2 children,   and returned to Norway at some stage,  but its only a story,  i havnt yet found much to confirm it all

Thanks any way

Daizi 

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 September 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
Try here for the parish registers:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read
 You should be able to get it in English.
"county" = Vest-Agder
"parish" = "Kristiansand" (to start with).

(or try direct: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_id=5128 , not sure if this will work)

If you still have problems, I don't mind having a look for you if you send the name/sister's details via PM.
If you find what you think is an image of interest and want help translating, look for the option "Image information:", select "on top", and then copy the url given under "Permanent pagelink:" here.

Offline janrm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Pre 1905 Union flag, "Sildesalaten"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 September 11 14:34 BST (UK) »
Joroses link works fine to me.

Let us know if you run into further problems,

J
"Doing Norway and a bit Sweden...!"

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Norgwegian Research Help please - COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 01:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janrm and Jorose, 

Jorose has solved the mystery and now is complete,  thanks you 2....you have both been wonderful

Daizi