Author Topic: Tea Gardens in what is now Winnersh Triangle to Lower Early "roundabout"  (Read 8567 times)

Offline Pebbles Kernow

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tea Gardens in what is now Winnersh Triangle to Lower Early "roundabout"
« on: Monday 26 September 11 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been told that the family had something to do with some tea gardens in Reading.

For those that know the area, I'm talking about what used to be a roundabout on the Winnersh road. Just down from the George Pub on the river. It's now been changed into a load of traffic lights and it's where you come off the A329M to get to Lower Earley. I'm sorry if it all sounds a bit vague but I left the area many years ago and am trying to describe it from memory and a brief trip through the roundabout last year (in the dark). This is also in the same area as the accident with the bridge when they were building one of the bridges. Unfortunately some of the workmen lost their lives in that accident.

Anyway for those that have stuck with my ramblings and terrible descriptions  :-[

What I'm looking for in any information / memories you may have about the tea gardens. I have also been told that where the roundabout was there used to be a cafe called Frank's Cafe which was also something to do with the family.

As you can imagine trying to google a tea garden in an area which has changed so much and which you don't know the name off is proving rather difficult, so anything you can offer might be the key I need.

Thanks in advance

Pebs

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Gardens in what is now Winnersh Triangle to Lower Early "roundabout"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Pebs  :)

One of my favourite sites is http://www.old-maps.co.uk and I've just had a look at the area from 1872 onwards.  If I've got the right place, Reading Road (A329) runs roughly east-west, the River Loddon roughly north-south.  A329 crosses the river at Loddon Bridge.  The George (or PH) is shown throughout, north-west of the bridge.

Loddon Tea Gardens are clearly marked south-east of the bridge on maps dated 1960-62, 1933, and 1931-32.  Maps dated 1912-13, 1912, 1900, and 1899 show buildings on the site but no name.  In 1883 and 1872 there were no buildings.

Maps dated 1967, 1973-77, and 1988-95 have buildings but no name and part of the land is lost to the new road layout.  Interestingly, a Russian map of 1990 labels the site 'gost.', an abbreviation of the word for small hotel or inn.

So you now have proof that the Tea Gardens existed, the full name, and a partial timeline.  I do hope you can pin down your family connection from these scraps  :D

Happy hunting, and keep us informed!
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Pebs,
I used to live in Mill Lane, Earley and my parent's house backed onto  the farm land going across to the River Loddon. This is well before they built a huge housing development on the the land and adjacent fields. I remember we could look straight across to the George Hotel and vividly  recall them building  the M4 motorway and the constant hammering of the pile drivers  building the road bridge across the river next to the Southern Railway line bridge. Yes, there was an accident  during the construction of the foundations but do not know the cause or outcome, other than building eventually resumed.

This period is when the road was called the Wokingham Road and in the early 1950s I had a paper
round that took me all the way along this road up to Winnersh crossroads.

There was no roundabout there at this time and I recall a large mansion/house that was painted white
just past the river that used to serve teas. I don't think it was ever a huge success and later on they
used to have "skiffle and jazz groups" playing there on a tuesday evening. Further along the main road there was a "Franks Cafe".

The area along this part of the Wokingham Rd was always prone to flooding during winter.

I left the area in the late 1960s and only returned in 1984 and couldn't believe what I saw. They had built not only one but two roundabouts. The first just passed the river bridge which I presume linked
up with the M4 and another further along but don't recall where the roads went to.

Just seen Carol's reply - Yes - Loddon Tea Gardens

Good Luck

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Pebbles Kernow

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 16:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol and Alan

Loddon Tea Gardens!

Makes sense as I knew the area of Loddon Bridge - isn't the mind great when it gets a jog, pity it doesn't work as well under it's own steam!

Off to investigate further and of course I'll keep you informed.

And Alan thanks for sharing your memories, I only left in the early 1990's and everything is completely different.

Pebs

Offline WHS1899

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I live about a 15 minute walk away from Loddon Bridge. I have two books on the history of Earley, I've just had a quick flick through but there's nothing on a tea room.
Beverley
Leics-Sharp/Baker/Underwood
Marylebone-Osborne/Tod(d)
Herts- Sear, Cato
Bucks/ Beds-Impey/Field/Hall
Herefordshire-Smallman
Glos-Poole/Byard/Smallman
Middx-Kemp/Harris/Perrin/Lee/Cooper/Morrell
Middx-Ballard
Berks-Ballard
Wilts-Ballard
Hammersmith, Middx-Cranstone
Surrey/Middx-Jux
Villemagne, France- Perrin
Dunning, Perthshire-Tod/Niven
Dorset- Tod/d
Milner- Neenton, Shropshire
Edwards- Neenton, Shropshire
Poultney/Beswick-Kidderminster, Worcs

Offline Gerry66

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pebs.

Purely by chance I have just stumbled across your RootsChat request on whether, or not, there was a Tea Gardens by Loddon Bridge. Well I can confirm that there was a ‘Tea Gardens’.  How? Well my family lived there in the main house from circa1938 until 1945.  I’m now 76!

In those days the Tea Gardens could be clearly seen from the bridge and was identifiable by having the words ‘Tea Gardens’ printed on our roof.  Entrance was by a graveled drive situated about 40 yards from the bridge on the RHS looking towards Wokingham.

There was a house on our drive entrance that may have been used as a restaurant at some time.  A scattering of fruit trees lined the drive leading to our house.  There was also a wooden bungalow on the riverside between the bridge and the Tea Gardens.

Adjoining our house was the Tea Gardens that, to my memory, was not in use during our stay.  It consisted of a central hall with an enclosed covered table area outside on two sides. Situated on the river was a landing stage where the young bucks of the day would tie up their boats/punts and take their ladies/families into the Gardens for tea and cakes etc.  By the landing stage was a Springboard, so I expect swimming also took place in the Loddon.  Lastly there was a landscaped garden that included a large lily covered pond with an island in the middle and a walk board for access.  So all in all it must have been an enjoyable place to visit.  By the way the boats were hired from the George.

The hay-days of the Tea Garden were probably in the 1920s although I can remember the dance hall being used for some functions early in the war years.

My dad’s name was Ernie Smith and he ran a small holding there with cows, pigs, chicken etc where the Garden Centre is now.  He achieved all this after a full days work at Parslows, which at that time I believe, was sited in the Butts.

Franks Café also existed and was sited adjacent to us about 100 yards from the Bridge.  The café was more transport than Burger king.

We had to leave the Tea Gardens when Lintons Garage bought the site and I believe it was then used to house a caravan park and the house was converted into flats.

I visited the remains of the house in 1982 and my childhood memories came rushing back. So sad to see it then and now it's no more.

I hope this helps Pebs.

Gerry66

Offline pwpriory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 March 15 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Just seen these posts: if you look at-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=557638.0
someone has marked the Gardens-bottom right.
Also, if you look at-
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10868120_102056892851683
there is a pic of a baptism taking place near there!

Offline pwpriory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 August 15 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi-We have a Facebook Group called "Memories of Old Earley" and we have just been discussing the Tea Rooms. You might like to give us a look at...........
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1555707861360182/

Paul Wi (administrator)

Offline fhpriory

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 September 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Again, I hope people will get in touch either here or by looking at "Memories and issues about Earley and Whiteknights + UoR"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1555707861360182/?ref=bookmarks
where we are once again discussing this area !