Author Topic: Have Transcription Lacks Cemetery Name  (Read 4640 times)

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Have Transcription Lacks Cemetery Name
« on: Tuesday 27 September 11 02:23 BST (UK) »
I have some handwritten memorial transcriptions but the author neglected to say in what cemetery the persons are buried. The most likely place is Kirkmahoe. They read:
  • In Memory of Robert Ferguson, who died June 20th 1774 aged 59 years also of Jean Nicolson, his Spouse....Erected by Thomas Ferguson in Fulboun (?) their son
  • In Memory of Robert Fergusson Late Farmer in Netherholm Kirkmahoe who died at Greenbrae 30 Jany 1853 Aged 71 years also Jane Blount, his wife...
If you have an MI book for cemeteries near Kirkmahoe  please check and see if they are in there.
Thanks,
Colin

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Have Transcription Lacks Cemetery Name
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 12:31 BST (UK) »
Sorry Colin, can't find them in Kirkmahoe, Closeburn, Dalgarnoc, Kirkmichael or Garrel (Garvald) -- the graveyards I know to be in the area around Auldgirth.
I also tried a search of the DGFHS MIs database to see if I could find a memorial stone anywhere with the paired names Fergus(s)on / Nicholson (Nicolson) and Fergus(s)on / Blount but absolutely no luck.
A further search using the farm names, Netherholm & Greenbrae also proved negative -- although both place names are found in Kirkmahoe Parish, NO Fergus(s)on deaths listed there in the MIs database. 
I must add that the database is NOT fully comprehensive of all D&G burials (no database will ever be that good) so it doesn't mean your inscriptions are wrong.

Have given it my best shot!
Cheers,
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 14:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sy!

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 11 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've had a look in both Dunscore village and Dunscore old graveyard and they aren't there either!!

Morag
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 October 11 02:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Morag. If you or Sy are inclined to look a bit deeper,  here is another transcription that might show up:

In Memory of James Maxwell who died at Leadhills 19th January 1839 aged 30 years Also Jean Ferguson his wife who died 1845 aged 26 years....

Colin

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 October 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looked for James Maxwell in the books I have but I'm afraid did not find him or his wife Jean Fergusson - looked Dunscore Village, Dunscore Old, Penpont, Glencairn, Dalgarnock and St. Michael's in Dumfries.

Morag
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 October 11 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
You mention Leadhills, that is actually just outside Dumfriesshire and actually is in Lanarkshire.
Have you tried their board at : http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,102.0.html

Next time I'm in the DGFHS Research Centre, I'll look at Wanlockhead graveyard MIs which is located in the next village to Leadhills. 

Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 17:55 BST (UK) »
Morag/Sy,
Thanks for the additional. I'll post to the Lanarkshire board as suggested.
Colin

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

Forgot I have the MI's for upper ward of Lanarkshire which include Leadhills and Crawford but not sign of any of the inscriptions you are looking for!   Could be Wanlockhead which I don't have.   At least you know where NOT to look!!!

Morag