Author Topic: Have Transcription Lacks Cemetery Name  (Read 4633 times)

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Have Transcription Lacks Cemetery Name
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 October 11 01:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Morag, with that I'll mark the Lanarkshire post completed.
Colin

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 October 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Colin, In a  PM you told me your data source was
Quote from: ColinUSA
...part of package of paper ... donated to the Dumfries Archive Center and are reference number GCD 234/1...
I managed to visit the Archive Centre in Dumfries today and had a look at the package of papers referred to. 
incidently the reference is GGD 234/1
At no point do these papers mention any specific local Dumfriesshire graveyard locations for the inscriptions. What they do is refer to a number of different Parishes and placenames.  Parishes of Kirkmahoe, Tinwald and Holywood are mentioned.  Placenames such as Netherholm, Greenbrae, Fountainbleau, Marchfield are all local to Dumfries.  Leadhills is further away and Hawick futher still. The MI extract of your original Post is from a very long inscription and has been taken from a large family memorial.  Mention of Kirkmahoe, Hawick, two USA locations and a son killed at Inkerman mean it is obviously not a record of burials in the burial plot where the memorial was erected, it may even be the inscription taken from a memorial plaque in a church. 
The Holywood Parish reference you can check online at my website http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dfsgal/Holywood/index.htm
I have still to check the Wanlockhead MIs (re the Leadhills reference).
I'll get back to you if I find anything relevant.
Cheers,
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 October 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks for the explanation and the work therein! I've seen your website before, very nice, and have found some data therein on other Ferguson.
Cheers, Colin

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 October 11 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello again Colin,
Some positive information for a change.  I spent the morning in the DGFHS Research Centre in Dumfries. DGFHS have published a booklet of MIs for Tinwald and Trailflatt.   I’m one of the local volunteers who helps in the running of DGFHS.  By pure coincidence I compiled the layout and photographed much of the Tinwald & Trailflatt graveyards.
The MIs listed below, extracted from that booklet confirm that your FERGUSON family members are buried in Tinwald Kirkyard.  You will see from the inscriptions listed below that your handwritten lists are more complete.  The booklet was published from a survey made in the 1960s and at that time the recorders operated a 100 year rule –
hence no post 1860 inscriptions and the reference   “Later inscriptions”

01.  In memory of Robert Fergusson, late farmer in Netherholm, Kirkmahoe who died at Greenbrae 30th January 1853 aged 71 years also Jane Blunt his wife who died 27th October 1849 aged 56 years also James their son who died 1st February 1817 aged 1 year also Janet their daughter who died 25th May 1825 aged 7 also Thomas their son killed at Inkerman 5th November 1854 aged 30 years, Jean their daughter wife of John Maxwell – 18th August 1819 – 18th December 1845.   Later inscriptions.

02.  In memory of John Maxwell who died in Leadhills 19th January 1839 aged 30 years also Jane Fergusson his wife who died 18th December 1845 aged 26 years.

03.  Slab: In memory of Thomas Fergusson who died 26th March 1828 aged 38 years also William Fergusson who died 11th February 1863 aged 75 years.   Later inscriptions.

04.  Slab: In memory of Robert Ferguson who died 20th June 1774 aged 59 years also Jean Nicholson his spouse who died 26th May 1774 aged 59 years, James Fergusson, grandson, who died 11th December 1821 also Thomas Fergusson father of James who died at Rosehill, Holywood 15th July 1826 aged 66 also Janet Brand his spouse who died at Rosehill, Holywood 7th June 1840 aged 81 years.

05.  Tablestone:  In memory of James Patterson, late farmer in Summerfield who died 9th February 1794 aged 58 years also Jannet Fergusson his spouse who died 25th December 1801 aged 59 years also William Patterson their son baker in Dumfries who died 1st January 1808 aged 25 also Thomas Patterson his son who died 26th May 1803 aged 33 years also James Patterson mason in Dumfries who died 1st July 1822 aged 32  ??52 [Badly weathered]

06.  Here lies Robert Fergusson son of Samuel Fergusson, Killylung, Holywood who died 21st May 1810 in infancy. James Fergusson his son who died 26th June 1817 aged 8 years also Jean Fergusson who died 5th August 1821 aged 14 months his daughter also Mary Corrie his spouse who died 26th April 1831 aged 46 years also above Samuel Fergusson who died 16th December 1855 aged 72 years.   Later inscriptions.

07.  In memory of Ann daughter of James Fergusson, Locharbriggs died 25th January 1848 aged 3 years also Ann his daughter who died 5th December 1848 aged 7 months.   Later inscriptions.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 October 11 16:18 BST (UK) »
Further to the above:
This Death Notice taken from the local newspaper, Dumfries and Galloway Standard of 18th Dec 1912, further confirms that Tinwald graveyard was the place of burial for the Ferguson family of Kirkmahoe Parish right up to the early years of the twentieth century.

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 October 11 00:52 BST (UK) »
Well done Sy!
Thank you,
Colin

Offline Kdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 October 11 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

I went to leadhill mining museum today as my family and I have been holidaying in the area. I've been past it before and knew that my GGG Grandfather (John maxwell) worked there as a clerk. I took a look in the graveyard but couldn't see him there. Your post has solved that for Menander opened up a few new routes. Thanks.

We're driving past Tinwald tomorrow, I can get some photos for you if you would like?

Offline Kdog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 October 11 21:11 BST (UK) »
Please forgive typos, this site isn't that great on an iPhone (or I'm not...)

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 22 October 11 02:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, please that would be nice. I'll PM you my email address.
thank you, Colin