Author Topic: 'Tautilo Deravino', Russia?  (Read 3585 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tautilo Deravino', Russia?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 12:24 BST (UK) »
For some reason, I can only post a limited amount (or my wee message box starts jumping around all over the place)

Anyway .....

The third of the downloads was the death in 1835 of George William Sherriff. Unfortunately not the George Sherrif I was looking for, but his 16 year old son whose existance I hadn't previously known about.

The record states that he was buried from the Saracepta Chapel and that the service had been conducted by John C. Brown.

I'm beginning to think George Senior who died in 1843 might not have been buried in Russia after all ....?

Anne.

P.S. The wee book held at the Archives is called 'Local Antiquarian Notes', by James Love, Falkirk, published 1908

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
For some reason, I can only post a limited amount (or my wee message box starts jumping around all over the place)

There's been at least one query on this under How to Use Rootschat- and there's a cure for it you'll be happy to know  :)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,549860.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 12:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info about the date differences Prue.

I've been doing 'my sums' and all the entries are the same - they're all 7 days apart, so I think we have to presume that the books were updated weekly and specific dates, well, as specific as being within a week is as accurate as it gets.

I'd love to know what the "Tautilo Deravino" is too!  ::)

Anne

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
Glasgow Herald of January 19, 1844 has:
At St. Petersburgh, Russia, on the 10th ultimo, George Sherriff, Esq, late of Dalderse, Falkirk, aged 77.

"John C Brown" was probably the Rev. John Croumbie Brown, and in "The Congregational magazine" in early 1835 he makes an appeal for funds to build a "British and American Chapel" - saying they had been meeting since 1817 in the "Sarepta Chapel", belonging to the Moravian community in St. Petersburg.

http://www.encspb.ru/en/adrarticle.php?kod=2803915855&adr=16
This may be the church in question, the British and American Congregational Church.
There are also various cemeteries/churches/chapels mentioned on this site but nothing close to the phrase you have.

I wonder if "Tautilo Deravino" was possibly a phonetic rendering of some phrase in Russian (or Latin?), mistaken for a placename. This thought brought to you by whoever it was who indexed a French death record and put down the mother's name as "Beau Frère": the brother in law of the deceased was a witness, the parents not being listed on that particular record  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much jorose!

I never thought to look in the Herald!  ::)

When I searched earlier, I couldn't find this George's death in Russia, even by broadening the dates.

I had read through an article mentioning the Moravian Community Chapel, but just wasn't sure if this would have been the same place - it appears now that it is.

The 'Tautilo Deravino' is only mentioned in the one publication I've found so far, so possibly it is some sort of phonetic pronunciation -  if spoken by someone speaking in a 'broad' accent - it could be anything!

Anne

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
I'm certain now that the two dates reflect the two calendars being in operation.  For one thing, the gap is always 12 days (where you have read 8/15 May for Alexander's baptism, it is actually 3/15), even for burials - unlikely that they would leave such a long and exact gap between death and burial.

I've done some conversions of dates on the registers and the results between the Gregorian date and the Julian date always match.  You can use this site to check for yourself:
http://www.abdicate.net/cal.aspx

Cheers
Prue

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 22:42 BST (UK) »

On the Register of Deaths, there are 2 dates - the first I presumed to be the date of death, the second being the date of burial, as follows:

Mrs (Sarah) Sherriff died on the 13th May 1826 and was buried on the 25th May

Does the register actually say "Sarah" in connection with this burial? This site suggests that the wife who died in 1826 was George's second wife, Margaret nee Bell:

http://www.falkirk.gov.uk/services/trust/heritage/archives/finding_aids/PDFs/r_and_a/sherriff.pdf
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 September 11 07:16 BST (UK) »
avm - Yes, it was his second wife Margaret Bell - I mistakenly put in first wife's Sarah's name, who apparently died either in childbirth or shortly after the birth of their daughter Sarah c1795. Thank you for noticing!

Daughter Sarah made her way to Glasgow and on the 1851 Census, she's living with her much younger half-brother John. She's listed as 'born Russia, British Subject'. I don't know when she 'came home' - presumably between 1841 - 1851 as I've been unable to find her in 1841. She died in in 1855 in Glasgow and was buried in the Southern Necropolis.

Prue - thank you for checking the calendars again. I think I'm going to have to have a break from this lot for a day or two as my brain is either running on overdrive or go-slow - I'm at the stage that actually absorbing info isn't happening!!  ;D

Anne