Author Topic: kirkland census look up please  (Read 3071 times)

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
kirkland census look up please
« on: Tuesday 27 September 11 12:27 BST (UK) »
hello everyone ..i am trying to find robert kirkland and his family before 1906.......in 1906 they were in america.... before this this they were in glenboig scotland......there will be robert, his wife mary jane and about 12 children...robert and mary jane were born in ireland, some children were born ireland and some born glenboig.....i am trying to establish how long they were in scotland for, their occupations and who else may have been living with them........any help will be greatly appreciated......kind reguards frm heather

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: kirkland census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

This looks like the Kirkwood family in 1901 living at 56c King Street, Coatbridge, (Old Monkland) Lanarkshire.

(From a transcript)

Robert, age 45, Coal Miner, born c1856 Ireland
Mary J., age 42, wife, born c1859, Ireland
John, age 22, Coal Miner, born c1879, Ireland
Robert E., age 19, Coal Miner, born c1882 Old Monkland
James, age 16, Tile Work Labourer, born c1885, Old Monkland
Joshua, age 14, Tile Work Labourer, born c1887, Old Monkland
Ann Jane, age 13, Scholar, born c1888, Ireland
David, age 11, Scholar, born c1890, Ireland
Nellie, age 10, Scholar, born c1891, Ireland
Minnie, age 10, Scholar, born c1891, Ireland
Sarah, age 8, Scholar, born c1893, Ireland

Don't see them in 1891 (which would make sense as all the kids born between 1888 - 1893 are listed as being born in Ireland)

Could this be him in 1881?

Boarding at No. 1, New Row, New Monkland Landward, Lanarkshire (with David & Jane Wright)
Age 26, Labourer, born c1855, Ireland.

Anne

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
thank you ann, this is the family....very much appreciated...frm heather

Offline maresteiner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 16 03:43 GMT (UK) »
I know David Kirkland came to the United States in 1906 because he is my Great Grandfather.  They lived in Lanarkshire Scotland but my Great Grandfather was born in Northern Ireland. I think Robert Kirkland changed his last name (according to my Grandfather) if you are stuck.  He took his mother's maiden name because his father was Mcclain and Catholics weren't getting jobs. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 16 09:42 GMT (UK) »
I think Robert Kirkland changed his last name (according to my Grandfather) if you are stuck.  He took his mother's maiden name because his father was Mcclain and Catholics weren't getting jobs.

If he died in Scotland his death certificate should tell you the full names of both his parents, inckuding his mother's maiden name (assuming the informant knew this of course).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mwaddell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 January 16 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Forfarian- My name is Mike Waddell and I live in Emmaus, PA, USA.  I've researched my Waddell ancestry off and on for several years to the point that I'm reasonably confident that my family line runs from John The Martyr, William b. 1660 and on the Crown of London, William b.c.1715 in America, etc.  I have a few questions about the Waddell line within this family branch...are you knowledgeable about this family line or is there anyone else you might suggest that I contact?

This is also my first use of Rootschat.com so suggestions would also be welcome there as well.
Regards,
Mike Waddell
Waddell

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 16 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Have replied to Mike via PM.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 January 16 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I know David Kirkland came to the United States in 1906 because he is my Great Grandfather.  They lived in Lanarkshire Scotland but my Great Grandfather was born in Northern Ireland. I think Robert Kirkland changed his last name (according to my Grandfather) if you are stuck.  He took his mother's maiden name because his father was Mcclain and Catholics weren't getting jobs.

The country was just Ireland at that time

What was Mary Jane's maiden name?

Changing his name wouldn't have helped him get a job

Offline maresteiner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 January 16 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Mary Jane's last name was Cullen.  It was her husband Robert Kirkland that supposedly changed his last name and took his mother's maiden name. I can't find Robert Kirkland's birth certificate to verify this and the information that he changed his name was passed down from my Great Grandfather David Kirkland.  The reason for the name change was thought to be for a job but nobody knows for sure.